What's good in 8th?

Ulrik_Ironfist

I have a sizable Necron army. It's the old 5th/6th/early 7th edition Silver tide build. 3x 20 warriors, 10 immortals, 2 Monoliths, 2 ghost arks, a doom scythe, annihilation barge, Anrakyr, Trayzn, Varguard Obyron, Some generic over/lords, a tomb stalker, 3 Wraiths, scarab swarms, canoptek spyder, 5 lychguard, Triarch Stalker, and 3 tomb blades.

That's more or less it, and I really don't feel like adding more to the army at the moment. Is silver tide still viable?

I've seen a pair of players do really well with 'Silver Tide' style play in 8th - though it focuses on characters and buffs from adjacent units to round it out.

From what I'm seeing on your list, you could easily support a Warrior-driven list. Triarch Stalkers are great right now, Lychguard to protect your characters, and I've seen a Doom Scythe do a lot of hurt. Not as familiar with where Tomb Blades and the Annihilation Barge sit on the scale of usefulness.

Obviously warriors would be the focus of my army, and my characters would likely end up being Anrakyr and Trazyn. I'm not enamored with tomb blades or canopteks (except for maybe wraiths). I have enough to field an effective brigade detachment, though that's using up everything I have at my disposal. 

I've always wanted to add C'tan shards to my army, would that be worth doing? Also, what do 'crons offer to kill off knights and other superheavies? I ask, because I have a friend that can field a small titan legion (by small I mean he can field 3 units, at 7000 points, plus 3 knights for an additional 1408 points) so Superheavies are a thing that I'm going to need to deal with. 

Sounds like we play the same setup in terms of unit availability, though I don't tend to use special characters over the generic Cryptek or Overlord/Lord. C'Tan I have no experience with but after playing a bunch with my setup I don't think they bring what footCrons need, which is high damage weaponry (which ties into your next question). You're going to struggle against superheavies. In my collection I have, to play against one pal's mostly FW army, two Heavy Destroyers, a heavy gauss Stalker, and a Doom Scythe backed by all kinds of infantry and it just isn't enough even when I'm rolling decent. 40 Warriors and 10 gauss Immortals have yet to pull more than a wound or two per phase off something T8 in my experience. Right now I think our most reliable platform for heavy damage out of the Index is heavy gauss Stalkers.

I recentlyy got some things I was going to use to make a Pylon then realized how big they were so it looks like I'm testing the waters with Sentry Pylons, which are much smaller. The Pylon's focused beam being S16 AP-4 Dd6+6 is very usable if there's three Knights that make up a 7k army. 

Well, to be technical, the 7000 points of Titan legion my friend can field (or rather will be able to field as soon as it's all assembled) is 2 Warhounds and a Warlord. I'm not even joking, it's actual FW stuff too. At some point I'll be facing down a warlord titan, and I have no idea what I can do to counter that. Even with all of my Imperial Armies I'm at a loss...

I'm thinking that annihilation barges are going to be strong here too.

Well, to be technical, the 7000 points of Titan legion my friend can field (or rather will be able to field as soon as it's all assembled) is 2 Warhounds and a Warlord. I'm not even joking, it's actual FW stuff too. At some point I'll be facing down a warlord titan, and I have no idea what I can do to counter that. Even with all of my Imperial Armies I'm at a loss...

I'm thinking that annihilation barges are going to be strong here too.

ehhm... Gauss Pylon :whistling:

^+1. Gauss Pylon is ridiculous, D3+6 damage for each shot that doubles against Titanic and Building models. It could effectively do between 14-108 damage to one of those unit types.

I'm currently amassing the parts to build a couple sentry pylons, and am basing the structure around the stand for a globe I got from the dollar store. I'll have to get a bigger one for the eventual Pylon but that plus some styrene and bits just has to be cheaper than Forgeworld.

I have a sizable Necron army. It's the old 5th/6th/early 7th edition Silver tide build. 3x 20 warriors, 10 immortals, 2 Monoliths, 2 ghost arks, a doom scythe, annihilation barge, Anrakyr, Trayzn, Varguard Obyron, Some generic over/lords, a tomb stalker, 3 Wraiths, scarab swarms, canoptek spyder, 5 lychguard, Triarch Stalker, and 3 tomb blades.

That's more or less it, and I really don't feel like adding more to the army at the moment. Is silver tide still viable?

The silver tide is still viable. Monoliths are useful in 8th edition as there are no fire arcs and recent FAQ gives it a BS of 4.

@spacepup. youtube has some video of a guass plyon made out of a globe. There is another youtuber "IDICBeer 40k"

that has a link for crystal that is good to have for the guass plyon. Age of Internet. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I was pondering how I could make one myself. I think I was going to base the actual gun from the gun from the stalker sprue. I was just trying to figure out the frame itself with the arcs.

Buy a cheap globe x3. buy a "crystals" they sell in the girls section of some toy/jewlery stores. Recast or make a green stuff Necron runes to have enough to glue to the sides of the globe rigging. You now have 3 cheap pylons and 6 half sphears to make terrain.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a full on mechanized Necron list would do pretty well, though I don't have the models to test the theory. Feel like I'd take a bunch of Triarch Stalkers, Ghost Arks, and a Destroyer Lord surrounded by Destroyers if I went that way with them

Cool!

I'm staying long term in another country and left my Marines in France. They have a store with no Necron buyers and perhaps some megociations to get, so I was wondering :D