Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mortarion assembly woes - sequence, gunslinger, basing

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,765 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

I know this is not WYSIWYG for his loadout, but since there are actually two mirror hands with Lantern, all parts complete, I thought it might be cool to have him be a gunslinger, with Silence across his back or somesuch biggrin.png

Watch out when assembling (1d), the "roof" part (#25) needs to be glued in BEFORE #26 (the tank), because otherwise the tank will get in the way. There is an image showing how they should horizontally align, but not one indicating the sequence and I've found out that the hard way. Had to cut off a part of the top left lip of the "roof" to squeeze the part into place. That's a piece that would be mostly obscured anyway, but just look out, mates smile.png

I'm also considering removing the standalone Nurglings from his base, especially the middle one, because it's too busy, even if it's funny. I could use them elsewhere, maybe. 

It's a very good idea not to glue him to the base and treat them as two separate sub assemblies. Same with wings, really.

Edited by Kastor Krieg, 16 September 2017 - 08:18 AM.

• Marshal Loss, Azekai, Antarius and 1 other like this

Threefold Brush Studio Cheap! Fast! Gorgeous! We ship worldwide.

Lorgar signed the pact for his soul with crayons,

Erebus drinks recaf made with keel water of the Furious Abyss

and Kor Phaeron's mum was an abhuman!
- Blackclad Hools of Rogal Dorn

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,030 posts

I tried magnetizing a wing for transportation purposes. One attachment point isn't strong enough and the other point is too small for magnets.

I'll try pinning it.

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,757 posts

There's no way to magnetize those wings by themselves, period.

But, BUT, if anyone's adventurous, daring, smart and skilled enough, they could try cutting the backpack tanks off the cloak bits, assembling that together with the wings, and magnetizing the whole thing to Mortarion's back. It's risky, but I think it can be pulled off.

Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,933 posts

This might offer some insights.

• Azekai and Gumo9 like this

we_badge_ezra.png

happyslugger

happyslugger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 277 posts

I looked at magnetising mine earlier and thought - no chance.

I am not that skilled in model making/painting, so I will just glue the wings on once I have painted them and the model.  If I have to transport it (unlikely) it will just have to sit in a box with some bubble wrap.  

8.jpg

Armies:  Blood Angels, Death Guard, Nurgle Daemons, Renegade Knights.

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,030 posts

Mu-hahahaha!!!

...pinning the other connection point worked. Now I just have to try the other wing; probably with just pins.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,263 posts

I'm going to replace the wings with some different ones... Hopefully will make them a little easier to mag-lock in place.

TOP idea on the Gun slinging... That I might just have to steal?!

Reyner

Reyner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,960 posts
  • Faction: IV Legion, XIII Legion

Why stop at gunslinging Mortarion? Are there two scythes? devil.gif

gallery_60566_6038_242.gifgallery_26119_9644_9137.pnggallery_60566_6038_826.gif
"I don't need my left arm to run." - Sergeant Arkad VII Legion bad-ass.

Lagrath

Lagrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,954 posts
  • Faction: Hexfleet Virules
I wonder how hard it would be to make him swing the scythe overhand, two handed like some of the old artwork.

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,757 posts

Why stop at gunslinging Mortarion? Are there two scythes? devil.gif

Nope. Two hafts, one blade. You could do it if you get your hands on a second blade, but who'd sell that on its own? Plus I think Morty would look rather... weird, dragging two Silences around.

On the other hand, you could try to get your hands on the Verminlord's... sickles? And give Mortarion a Malthael complex.

99120206023_PestilensCorruptor01.jpg

Diablo-3-Season-6-620x349.jpg

• Iron Lord likes this

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,030 posts

I'm going to replace the wings with some different ones... Hopefully will make them a little easier to mag-lock in place.

The basic problem is the weight. The pin-magnet combo stops the weight from pulling the wing out of polarity and causing the thing to fall off.

Ended up doing both wings the same. The angle was wrong for the two-pin solution.

gallery_85153_13688_290491.png

There's actually plenty of room at the large connection point. It would be perfect if it wasn't just too darn heavy for the polarity to stay aligned.

gallery_85153_13688_160117.png

It vorks! it vorks!

I can basically wave it around and it might as well be glued. Only flaw is aesthetic if you insist on staring at where the pin goes in.

Edited by Closet Skeleton, 18 September 2017 - 03:42 PM.

• Azekai and Arkhanist like this

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,325 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

I can basically wave it around and it might as well be glued. Only flaw is aesthetic if you insist on staring at where the pin goes in.

Nothing a little bit of greenstuff couldn't fix. ;)

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Lagrath

Lagrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,954 posts

I wonder how hard it would be to make him swing the scythe overhand, two handed like some of the old artwork.

oh my god that was incredibly difficult to brainstorm and execute...

NUPA4Fn.jpg
  • Brother Chaplain Ryld, Reyner, DuskRaider and 13 others like this

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 946 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, GSC, Death Guard

Looks *awesome* though.

gallery_53969_15812_3395.gif gallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg gallery_48988_15465_4294.png gallery_48988_15094_1349.png

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,325 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

Looks neat, but that's really not how you'd use a Scythe. More of an Axe or Sword pose imo. ^^

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Lagrath

Lagrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,954 posts
I imagine that the swing will either come down in a diagonal curve, or he's about to straight up cut someone in half down the middle. The new codex has fluff about how powerful Silence is, so it makes sense to me. Anyway it's based partly on my favorite old artwork:

200px-Mortarion_Prince_of_Decay.jpg
  • Kisada and Azekai like this

happyslugger

happyslugger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 277 posts

Awesome stuff, I don't have the skill set to even try and alter his model.  I went for the Lantern pointing version so it looks like he is about to shoot something.

I am however considering cutting off the little flies as they are driving me nuts whilst I try and paint him (something I am also not great at doing, art was never my thing lol).

8.jpg

Reyner

Reyner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,960 posts
  • Faction: IV Legion, XIII Legion

That pose is amazing Lagrath :D I instantly saw the artwork in my mind, nicely done!

gallery_60566_6038_242.gifgallery_26119_9644_9137.pnggallery_60566_6038_826.gif
"I don't need my left arm to run." - Sergeant Arkad VII Legion bad-ass.

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,765 posts
I've cut the flies away on mine. They will make cool base detail or sth. Or maybe objective markers. No clue yet.

Lagrath

Lagrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,954 posts

Updated pics on my blog for anyone who is interested in current progress:

https://www.facebook...740488099477164

bozo69pd

bozo69pd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,897 posts

wow Lagrath I may need to copy yo on that... if I have the skill to do it that is.

happyslugger

happyslugger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 277 posts

I've cut the flies away on mine. They will make cool base detail or sth. Or maybe objective markers. No clue yet.

I decided to cut the flies off mine in the end...too much around him.  I also left off all the nurglings as these will go onto my tanks (as I want my tanks to look like they have been taken over by Nurglings).

8.jpg

Lagrath

Lagrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,954 posts

wow Lagrath I may need to copy yo on that... if I have the skill to do it that is.

Thanks!  For the record, every step of this has been incredibly hard, so I don't recommend it unless you are very brave haha.

Skerr

Skerr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 737 posts

Looks *awesome* though.

Perhaps though it looks like he is about to put the finish on someone. Great job!!

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,765 posts

Thanks!  For the record, every step of this has been incredibly hard, so I don't recommend it unless you are very brave haha.

Can you explain the steps please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users