Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion

Mellow

Btw...is the nature of the

GK vs. Custodes rivalry

elaborated upon? What is the source of the friction?

Closeness to the Emperor, basically. It's not major and they're all too professional to let it genuinely get to them but... "[y]ou will never hear one of us say as much out loud, but that does not mean the suspicion does not exist. It skulks around the corridors of Hegemon like a foul odour, faint but hard to eradicate."

It's not enough to stop them fighting together and it would never come to violence but when the relatively small force of GK arrive from Titan, Valerian thinks fair enough, they have other commitments but this still feels like it might be a veiled insult.

"Consider what this history means. We know that they came after us, the more junior creation, and yet they were as closely associated with Him as we were. We both of us look to Him and Him alone as our progenitor, and share the same sense, cultivated over the wearing aeons, that we enact His designs when all others falter."

He also notes that some custodes just look at them as more astartes and mistrust them in the exact same way they did around the heresy, i.e. as fundamentally untrustworthy.

Btw...is the nature of the

GK vs. Custodes rivalry

elaborated upon? What is the source of the friction?

Closeness to the Emperor, basically. It's not major and they're all too professional to let it genuinely get to them but... "[y]ou will never hear one of us say as much out loud, but that does not mean the suspicion does not exist. It skulks around the corridors of Hegemon like a foul odour, faint but hard to eradicate."

It's not enough to stop them fighting together and it would never come to violence but when the relatively small force of GK arrive from Titan, Valerian thinks fair enough, they have other commitments but this still feels like it might be a veiled insult.

"Consider what this history means. We know that they came after us, the more junior creation, and yet they were as closely associated with Him as we were. We both of us look to Him and Him alone as our progenitor, and share the same sense, cultivated over the wearing aeons, that we enact His designs when all others falter."

He also notes that some custodes just look at them as more astartes and mistrust them in the exact same way they did around the heresy, i.e. as fundamentally untrustworthy.

Ah...I guess this does confirm that the Emperor's geneseed is more than a rumour

HeritorA: Other posts of yours are passing judgments on this novel. Please remember to finish the novel before making statements.

IN other thread - I'm passing judgement on 'Carrion Throne' and Watchers - cause in general I liked what I read in 150 pages :wink:

So far, so beautiful. Really, Wraight's command of first person, and the triptych structure, reminds me why Brotherhood of the Storm remains one of my favourite BL texts....

Indeed. That's one of the best and strong parts of writer abilities for Chris. Usually that narrative could be tiresome - but in his case - tis masterfully done.

Here's the thing about Wraight.

I start reading a novel of his, but in about two or three sentences it ceases to be a novel. It becomes an experience, an epic HBO TV series that I can see in my meager brain. I feel his characters, I'm running alongside his Custodes, sympathizing with his SoS, visualizing the grandeur of Terra in its decay. 

Straight up some of the best stuff I've ever read. God damn. Loved The Emperor's Legion.

I feel the same.

He is uniquely able to immerse you in the storyline. I don’t get that with anyone else’s novels. I mean sure ADB is great along with a couple of others and their novels are very comfortable to fall into. But Wraight utterly absorbs you in the events.

Truly wonderful.

I know what you mean.

I felt the same way when I read Scars, Path of Heavens or Battle of the Fang or Wrath of Iron or any other of his stuff for the first time. Even his earlier work was imho phenomenal. I couldn't put these novels aside voluntarily. ^^

Yeah...Wraight's descriptions of Terra really convey a sense of both grandeur and decay. The decaying aspect almost reminds me of MegaCity One in 2000AD.

I'm almost done with Carrion Throne...but I'm really chomping at the bit to start Emperor's Legion, which seems like a sequel but not really?

Yeah...Wraight's descriptions of Terra really convey a sense of both grandeur and decay. The decaying aspect almost reminds me of MegaCity One in 2000AD.

I'm almost done with Carrion Throne...but I'm really chomping at the bit to start Emperor's Legion, which seems like a sequel but not really?

Chris answered this on Twitter

https://twitter.com/wraightc/status/892689808946057216

I feel the same.

He is uniquely able to immerse you in the storyline. I don’t get that with anyone else’s novels. I mean sure ADB is great along with a couple of others and their novels are very comfortable to fall into. But Wraight utterly absorbs you in the events.

Truly wonderful.

I really like Chris Wraight's books but I don't get quite that level you clearly do. For me Abnett is better (apart from a couple of well discussed low spots). For me Chris is top five with Abnett so far permanently at the number one spot and the other three (rotating their positions) being ADB, Fehervari, French. But that's MHO. What I would say is that Chris Wraight is getting better and better.

I used to buy tonnes of BL books but now I am more selective (having been burnt a few too many times). The five above I always buy though!

I know what you mean.

I felt the same way when I read Scars, Path of Heavens or Battle of the Fang or Wrath of Iron or any other of his stuff for the first time. Even his earlier work was imho phenomenal. I couldn't put these novels aside voluntarily. ^^

For me Path of Heaven was a breathtaking experience. I wouldn't been able to put it down.

I feel the same.

Truly wonderful.

I really like Chris Wraight's books but I don't get quite that level you clearly do. For me Abnett is better (apart from a couple of well discussed low spots). For me Chris is top five with Abnett so far permanently at the number one spot and the other three (rotating their positions) being ADB, Fehervari, French. But that's MHO. What I would say is that Chris Wraight is getting better and better.

I used to buy tonnes of BL books but now I am more selective (having been burnt a few too many times). The five above I always buy though!

Fehervari is different - his stuff is awesome, grimdark and philosophical. Wraight style is more 'visual' and 'experiencing'

Abnett was the best till he stop writing for BL for a long time.

@HeritorA well personally I predict Abnett is about to reassert his position with Warmaster and Magos. He will defo have at least one HH novel before the end. We will defo get Archon (or is that Anarch... I can never remember) and Pentitent will be coming. I predict Abnett getting his mojo back.

I hope so...Abnett is the most naturally gifted writer in the BL roster IMO

Guys like Wraight and ADB are also excellent, but I feel they're more orthodox, if you will.

Abnett has more potential to be ground-breaking IMO

I think you've answered your other thread!

@HeritorA well personally I predict Abnett is about to reassert his position with Warmaster and Magos. He will defo have at least one HH novel before the end. We will defo get Archon (or is that Anarch... I can never remember) and Pentitent will be coming. I predict Abnett getting his mojo back.

Yes he can with the Warmaster. Dont think that will happen with Magos. If you haven't read all the stuff for Eisi yet - probably you will like it.

Others - who read everything already and do not collect 'everything in every format' (as half of the BL fans do) - not so.

Tis a long time to his HH novel and I will believe in 'Anarch' (not Archon) then I see it.

Penitent even later - so a long time to wait.

'Warmaster' release would be a judgement time if he is back

Archived