Good Thousand Sons books

Grendaxe

Hi all,

Been wanting to ask this for a while now and figured why not bless our new founded sub-form with one of my stupid TS questions.

A while back I've read the "A thousand sons" book by graham McNeill and i though it was okayish. Not amazing but i feel like it captured the TS well enough for the most part. Their desire to gather knowledge and educate the imperium about psykers. The fear of the flesh curse. Ways of operating. Etc. 

So naturally i wanted to pick up "A crimson king" also by McNeill hoping to have a another good read about the TS. However i'm about halfway through and i sadly can't seem to finish the book. There is not much in the book that to me makes sense about the TS operate. I feel its more about how amazing space wolfs are than it is about the thousand sons.

So my question is does anyone know any books (40k or 30k doesn't matter) which contain parts with/about TS which are well written?

Unfortunately for Thousand Sons they are the punching bag for the Space Wolves. If you want to call yourself a Thousand Sons player/fan then you have to read all their books anyways. Let me make a list

Thousand Sons

Prospero Burns

War of the Fang (2 books hunt for Magnus and Battle of the Fang)

Ahriman Omnibus (Exile, Sorcerer, Unchanged)

Ahriman Exodus (novella)

countless short stories lol

and right now I am reading Atlas Infernal. I will let you know how that goes.

Edited by bozo69pd

You're not alone on the Crimson King, it's the worst Heresy book in some time and McNeil tacitly admits as much in the afterword. Master of Prospero is much​ better, and portrays the Sons at their flawed best. The Legions always come across as that bit more complex when they're at relative ease.

The Ahriman trilogy is awesome! :smile.:

Thanks, i'll look into it :happy.:

Unfortunately for Thousand Sons they are the punching bag for the Space Wolves. If you want to call yourself a Thousand Sons player/fan then you have to read all their books anyways. Let me make a list

Thousand Sons

Prospero Burns

War of the Fang (2 books hunt for Magnus and Battle of the Fang)

Ahriman Omnibus (Exile, Sorcerer, Unchanged)

Ahriman Exodus (novella)

countless short stories lol

and right now I am reading Atlas Infernal. I will let you know how that goes.

I like the thousands sons, i understand the legion is "doomed" so no happily ever afters but forcing my way through a book that meanwhile glorifies the wolfs annoys the living :cuss out of me. Especially because the burning of prospero was their mistake and basically the act of a traitor legion. And then reading how TS ask the help of the wolfs just makes me angry.

But thank you for the recommendations i will look them up.

You're not alone on the Crimson King, it's the worst Heresy book in some time and McNeil tacitly admits as much in the afterword. Master of Prospero is much​ better, and portrays the Sons at their flawed best. The Legions always come across as that bit more complex when they're at relative ease.

I see its also written by McNeill. In what way is this book is better? I don't think the way he wrote Magnus in the Crimson King was done very well either :unsure.: .

I see its also written by McNeill. In what way is this book is better? I don't think the way he wrote Magnus in the Crimson King was done very well either :unsure.: .

MoP has the Sons doing 'normal' military things, as opposed to some bizarre cosmic goose chase; the challenges the characters face are much more tangible. TCK is constantly knee-deep in magical nonsense, and McNeil openly divulges how hard it was for him to write in the afterword.

Talon of Horus is amazing as well, and I'd say Master of Prospero is good as well, though it has a point that leaves you thinking of what could have been.

I've heard good things about the Talon of Horus but i didn't knew it featured some TS. I've started the Ahriman series for now but will pick this up afterwards.

MoP has the Sons doing 'normal' military things, as opposed to some bizarre cosmic goose chase; the challenges the characters face are much more tangible. TCK is constantly knee-deep in magical nonsense, and McNeil openly divulges how hard it was for him to write in the afterword.

I just skipped to the afterword you where not kidding. My god 4/5 pages of whining how hard it was to write the book and how he couldn't be bothered at all :wacko.: .

I will trust you if you say MoP is much better, so he'll on the list thanks.

If you like the Robert Downy Jr Sherlock Holmes you will like Atlas Infernal.

Seems like a rather strange combination but i'll take it give a shot :biggrin.:

I feel its more about how amazing space wolfs are than it is about the thousand sons.

I'd suggest you keep Battle of the Fang for last, i've read all of the Thousand Sons novel and in my opinion Battle of the Fang is by far the worst.  Ahriman trilogy as said in previous post is good, especially the first and last one. For cool Thousand Sons character in novel, Talon of Horus is hard to beat as well.

Talon of Horus is about the starting of the Black Legion, fairly shortly after the Heresy. But it includes plenty of Thousand Sons lore as one of the characters hails from our legion. I am only half way through the second book in that series but it again has some tie ins and shows how sorcerers and Rubicae exist in the Eye.

I liked Atlas Infernal but I realy hated how Ahriman was depicted in it. Like a caricature of a 1920s movie vilian. Awefull. But the best of the book was awesome

I disagree.

I thought he was portrayed perfectly. Calm. Meditative. Cultured.

When he fought the harlequins, he was more like a disciplined monk.