Graia's Warlord Trait

Vaughn

In the new codex, Forgeworld Graia's Warlord Trait states the following

"Emotionless Clarity: Models in friendly GRAIA units within 6" of your warlord can shoot with Assault and Rapid Fire weapons even if there are enemy models within 1" of their own unit, but only if they target the closest enemy unit. They can shoot even if the enemy is within 1" of other friendly units."

Does this mean that Graian skitarii units can shoot even while locked in combat? As in, if a band of Khorne Berserkers are wailing on my, can I shoot at them during the shooting phase during that time?

As written, yes, you should be able to. The second part is what I find interesting though, you can fire at an enemy unit that's locked in combat with a different unit of your dudes. Reminds me of that Tau thing, nearby units being able to Overwatch on an enemy charger, not just the target. Against assault armies just make a gunline of Vanguard around your warlord and make sure they keep supporting each other. Edited by Magos_Adephus

Best warlord and best option for big detachments. As i see it. For troop armies!

The problem remains cant have multi dogmas effectivelly. And the tax hq the lack of transport etc etc dont allow competive play.

For a group of lets say 1robot one of our best 110 points. For 110 all other armies get (ig example) 9+ plasma deep strike reroll ones or 9d6mortar shots with no los. By defaul round one and get +1 cp from detachments. We still need to pay +1 for protocol to have shots first round then handicap never move again then +2 cp for mortals and of we dont gain nothing from one heavy slot. Its with out reason and its our best unit...if we start talking how much we pay for the rest of our options with no transport and enemy hve flier mobility survive we pay for all option and the rest of the armies are still defaultttttttt.

Edited by Yoda79

The second part reads t"They (meaning your unit within 6" of the warlord) can shoot even if the enemy (the target, obviously) is within 1" of other friendly units". So if you've got some Vanguard 10 inches away from some Nids engaged with your Epriests, you can shoot the Nids. The only range restriction if if there's a closer enemy model, like a Carnifex that's 8 inches away and not engaged.

In conclusion, yes you can fire at an enemy in combat with another of your units, but only if they're the closest.

I read the last sentence as a clarification/addendum to the previous rule, clarifying that not only you are able to break the normal rule of not being able to fire guns if enemies are within 1", but also being able to fire if those enemies are engaging other models.

For example, other things that can fire their weapons even if enemies are within 1", like Superheavy IG tanks, can't fire at the units they are engaged with if they are also engaging something else. 

Ninja'd by above screengrab, looks like I was correct in my assessment.  Yay?  Kind of a shame... I would have liked to be wrong.

Edited by Withershadow

Damn, I was hoping for assault and rf weapons to be able to shoot even when engaged in combat PLUS everything else can shoot into ongoing combats when not engaged themself.

But with this wording the second part is for assault and rf only as well, so no tying up units with Vanguard and shooting them to death with Robots :blush.:

Theoretically speaking a nice dogma, but in practice I doubt it will work that well.

How many Vanguards from a unit do you expect to survive a charge by any decent assault unit?

It might just help if for some reason you have an assault unit wipe out their target, and then consolidate 3" into another of your unit. But then again, you should always keep your units 4" or more away from each other to prevent this.