Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

If you’re going for a spec ops look I’d like to make a suggestion based on real world units. This suggestion is based on your desire not to want to paint black but keep it pseudo-stealth in appearance. Also trying to use colors you’ve expressed an interest in. I have some experience with this from developing my Warhawks. Different colors and scheme but I think I this might help :)

As follows ...

Keep with the brown your using as the core of the model for the helmet and the torso (I’d include the codpiece also) with a teal aquila.

For the arms and legs you switch to the cream color (suggest following Duz_ idea of zandri dust instead of cream but either work for the purpose of building a quasi-camo scheme).

For the pauldrons and backpack you could go either way or mix and match. I’d give thought to brown pauldrons, using teal for the rims and the eyes of the helmet.

Lastly ... paint the bolter, bolt gun, bolt rifle, whatever black. Just solid no shiny metallic color black (same for the combat knives) but I prefer my weapons paint in very real world pattern so ymmv there :)

Hope that helps or generates ideas that you are satisfied with. Your thread actually helped me decide on how I’m adjusting the color scheme for my Scouts (converted from Reivers) so thanks.

Those are great ideas. I'm trying to ride the line between 'space fantasy' and 'real world'... I'm not a fan of red or yellow weapons either...

Although I may be rethinking things. An acquaintance of mine is a guy who makes his living off commission painting. I threw my latest scheme at him and we talked back and forth. His biggest concern with my scheme was the brown :facepalm:  He said in his years of painting he's of the opinion that brown doesn't translate well to power armor. I may still do a test model if I can't figure out any other scheme but I've seen a lot of his work and I respect his opinion.

I might see what I can do with a muted green as a base... I had thought of doing that originally but shied away because the Salamanders and Dark Angels are green and very prominent. In the end though all the colors have been used so I can't get around that... We shall see. I dumped a bunch of models in Purple Power last night and will let them set for a week. I'll clean them up and prime a couple and start testing then.

I hate all of you. Because now I have to tell my wife that her's was better... and now I'm probably going to paint it...

I have a nice Sea Foam Gray from that Vallejo that is very cool-toned. That would be a good base to apply over gray primer and I could highlight up from there. The gray paints pretty well with a brush, it's the color I use when I work up to white for Raven Guard veterans.

Alright... maybe a name?

Hemlock Spectres

I'm hesitant to use Hemlock since the pointy-ears have the Hemlock Wraithfighter...

But when I look at the gray/teal scheme it evokes thoughts of simplicity and efficiency. I envision this kill team being incredibly spartan (like the Raptors) and all about the job... no frills or fancy capes. Pure, raw, and deadly.

Hemlock is an incredibly poisonous flower, and spectres are ghosts or apparitions that are feared.

Lastly I think I might actually be able to freehand a simple Hemlock flower onto the shoulder pads. I think a few simple green lines and a few small white dots will give the effect... or look terrible... but in my head I like the idea...

Hidden Content
http://www.friendsofthewildflowergarden.org/generaljpegs/Seasons/local/bulbwaterhemflw300.jpg

How about using the scientific name for hemlock, i.e., Conium? Will "Conium Phantasms" or "Conium Phantoms" be acceptable as a Chapter name?

I thought about that as well, I'm not sure if I like the way Conium rolls off the tongue. While walking my dog this morning I was thinking about the name (dog-walking thoughts are just as great as shower thoughts) and I'm not sold... Then I had the realization that as players/hobbyists we tend to use our Earthly words to describe things in 40k, but the 40k universe is FREAKING HUGE! Why should I limit myself to something that I only know from my world?

Why not make up a fierce beast like they created on Calaban? Why not create the deadly arachnid-type spiders and huge stalking plants like on Murder? I need to broaden my horizons and I think I will create a new type of flora for my Kill Team. I do think I want to stick with the flower... but I might change up Spectre. I don't know why but the idea of a flower really appeals to me. I love the idea of the edelweiss flower and what it symbolizes. I always think of the scene in Band Of Brothers where they talk about the flower and how it's a mark of pride for German soldiers to find one because they are so rare and it's dangerous because they only grow above a certain elevation.

I guess I want the theme of these guys to be "elegantly refined lethality" ... crap... maybe I need to play dark eldar...

I think your wife's colour scheme looks good, but what do I know, I use brown on power armour :biggrin.: .

I've been mulling over name ideas while walking the dog (coincidentally).

Night Shades is probably too corny. I was thinking of other poison flowers.

Dark Hemlocks might sound too pointy-eared.

Spectral Hemlocks evokes the colour scheme.

Ghost Hemlocks doesn't sound as good.

Hemlock Shades has a nice ring to it.

Just some ideas that might help.

Oohh Ghost Callers ... yeah, that rolls off the Astartes tongue.

That one OBO.

I had the exact same reaction as I was scrolling down the screen. It hit me as a favorite immediately :)

I guess I want the theme of these guys to be "elegantly refined lethality" ... crap... maybe I need to play dark eldar...

Faith Brother. The Druhkari send a Kabal where the Astartes would a single Space Marine. Leave the image of bludgeoning brutality to the Imperial Fist. The Sons of Corax are the shadow of a razor's edge, the precision of lethality made by the Emperor in the form of a man.

Edit: The flower is a unique choice and since your wife suggested the color scheme she might have another about the floral symbol? Great ideas and new recruits to the cause are found in the strangest of places at times :wink:

Edited by Inquisitor Dracos

That's a fantastic idea. She is a talented artist. She draws and paints very well. In fact here's a painting of hers that I have hanging at work because I love it so much. It's acrylic on canvas, 11 x 14 inches:

Hidden Content
tCvgAKd.jpg

She draws and paints very well even if she says she doesn't. Now that I'm looking at this painting again I just noticed the flower on it... I wonder if I could use that...

Hidden Content
jasDANt.jpg

I don't think I could get away with the entire thing. Too much detail for me to paint on a shoulder. But I could take just the purple section... Although I'm not sure about the purple... Here's the eyes going purple... what do you think?

Hidden Content
VZoKVxU.jpg

I think the orange eyes might look better still... and the second layer of petals is orange so I could just use that... This is turning out to be a really cool tribute to her, and she's just going to roll her eyes!

Love you guys. It's so cool seeing this develop and I am thrilled with all of the feedback.

Still need a name, but I'm going to give that some thought so see if I can incorporate more of her into it... Ghost Callers didn't really ring true with me so you're all free to fight over it.

Spectral Sicarii

Spectral: of or like a ghost.

The history section of the Sicarii is pretty bad ass and is exactly what I had in mind with these guys being surgical instruments used to carry out missions. I think I may have my full blown chapter as well when I decide to expand these guys (if painting them doesn't make me cry first).

I think the name is what I want. Their gray armor is brought into the name with Spectral and heir silent lethality with the Sicarii.

Fraters, you have just witnessed the birth of a new Kill Team, and helped me with it.

You have my deepest thanks for helping me work through this.

That sounds really badass dude.

I hope they’ll all be carrying their sicae when you build them.

I plan on it. They'll each have a blade on them, somewhere.

On a side note I love history when I get to engage with it on my terms (hated it in school). This is going to be a cool project because I'll probably be spending a lot of time online just reading about differect sects of sicarii that existed.

The remaining thing to determine is what I will be doing for the bases with these guys. I'm pretty sure I don't want to to do the same woodland theme as my RG. I am thinking it needs to be something darker to help offset the white. I'm currently leaning towards an almost black tone or maybe a dark sand. I would like these be a lot simpler and easy to put together than the Baran bases I do.

Greenstuff world has some really cool rollers that make textured bases very fast. My buddy has a couple and I've seen them used on his terminators:

Hidden Content
36672740_1866229956733193_22721787978496

Hidden Content
36712203_1868239013198954_14185061889490

I am considering getting one to quickly make bases that I'll need but I'm not sold on any of their themes just yet. Here's a couple I'm considering...

Ancestral Recall (because of the Spectral part of the name). I would use a darker color scheme and probably not as many. I actually like the sand color they used but the greens and pinks are throwing me off. I'm trying to look more at the pattern and find pictures of the pin being used with more colors.

Factory Ground is another one. I could do dirty steel floor plates. I'd probably try my hardest to avoid the hazard stripes because I don't want yellow on the base.

MESH is the one that my friend used. Very cool, just not sure if I want to have the same bases as him... I may try borrowing his to make a few with my own paint scheme before buying anything though. Anytime you can save money it's a good thing! Again I would probably try and avoid having hazard stripes on my bases.

And admittedly there are a whole range of technical paints and tools I know nothing about. I'll keep looking. I did strip a bunch of paint of models last night so I have a lot of plastic to start testing paint on. I should also be picking up some silver spray paint today to work on my sons necrons with him.