Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

Got a little bit done last night when I got back from my work trip. The weather was finally nice enough (not 100% humidity) so I varnished up by two completed kill team members. I also put a light varnish on the rest of the models so that when I paint them I'm not rubbing off paint on their feet (which happened on my first couple).

I also decided to paint up a drop pod fin to see what it looks like. I know pods can't carry primaris but I think it'll be cool as scenery and be great for a narrative kill team game for deployment. This is just base layers because I was playing around. I like it, but it obviously needs a lot of work with highlights and washes.

DPklOL1.jpg

Ha. I do have a Land Raider that I will probably paint up for them. That's a pretty big beast though so I may have to actually hold out for an air brush. It was quite a lot to just get a nice coat of grey on the one pod fin.

Thanks guys. To my detriment (time) I probably paint with my paint way to thin. The positive is that I get smooth layers, but that's probably 4-5 really thin coats of gray and two of the blue. I don't mind because painting is incredibly therapeutic for me, but I do wish I could get results faster. I've learned to deal with it and accept the time commitment.

Wow that scheme looks awesome on vehicles!

Quick paint a Land Raider before Race gets here!

hRry9nZ.gif
That *.gif is from John Milius 'Conan the Barbarian', isn't it? Do you happen to have a Raven Guard member nicknamed the "Bronze Lion" for his tanned skin and his ferocity in war, the color distinguishing from the Dark Angels' pansy Primarch?

Painting this scheme is tedious but damn does it look good. One fin almost done. I use black on the pouches on my Primaris, I'm not sure if I should leave the black as is or go over it with a steel color and then wash/drybrush. I'm leaning towards leaving the two bars at the top of the fin black and making the exhaust grill and inner portion of the fin steel. I'm trying to be forward thinking with the interior. I've been waffling between black/steel or my Spectral Sicarii scheme.

Here's the fin:

Ak3jBGP.jpg

And here's a Sons of Medusa pod that I really like. I think I may paint my grays where the greens are and stick with the blacks for the harnesses with maybe a light dry brush of steel.

100230-Drop%20Pod%2C%20Sons%20Of%20Medus

I hear you and I've thought about that. I'll offer my thought process below, but first observe one member of my Spectral Sicarii Kill Team:

1HHC7rZ.jpg

He has the same colors but uses the black on the pouches and soft armor. This scheme looks like :cusse until it's about 80% complete and right now this single fin is probably only 50%. I haven't done any edge highlighting yet and have only done the recess wash. I think when I get the highlighting done and actually build the model it will come together since that's what has happened with my two completed models. I love this scheme but it's a b***ch to paint and is really demoralizing until I round the last bend of the process.

Now if you're right those are parts that I can easily reach and paint once it's assembled. I've thought about that and wanted to make sure I could touch up or redo those parts post assembly. Lastly if it makes the white looked washed out and appear gray that's OK. Sky Gray is the color I'm going for and in person they look gray. All of my photos seem to confer a white hue and I'm guessing that's because I don't have the best photo setup.

I think steel is the winner and I humbly bow before you all and say "you were right". In all honesty I really appreciate the input, it's great feedback.

Ucks7Me.jpg

Edited by thewarriorhunter

Hard to say whether I'd prefer it in black or in steel since I wouldn't consider the black on the left pic done. Without any highlighting pure black always looks unfinished. It's actually one of the harder colours to get right imo. Steel on the other hand is way easier since it already looks decent with just a quick wash.

Hard to say whether I'd prefer it in black or in steel since I wouldn't consider the black on the left pic done. Without any highlighting pure black always looks unfinished. It's actually one of the harder colours to get right imo. Steel on the other hand is way easier since it already looks decent with just a quick wash.

Yeah if I wanted to do black proper for this I'd mix up my RG black scheme but I'm trying to avoid that. Typically I go 50/50 Black/Black Gray and then wash a couple times and highlight up from there. If I did that here I'd probably go more of a 25/75 ratio and only wash once and highlight to give more depth with all of the recesses. I think you know that and you're just trying to torture me ;)

Overall I do think the steel looks better and won't be as much work as the black so that will be the winner (I know what my black looks like and I can't see it topping the steel). I also don't like how the blue doesn't go into the recesses where the raised white blocks are so I think I'm going to paint that into there as well. It'll give a little more pop and I don't see that detail done very often. I'm also debating making the raised blocks on the blue sections the gray color... I won't make that call until after I've highlighted the blue though. Once that's done I may not feel the need to do that.

WH, I keep viewing your thread hoping one day the colors will grow on me. But they haven't.  Your painting skill is outstanding, as is your base/modeling work. You are a skilled hobbyist, of that there can be no doubt.  But the colors you chose for this Chapter...they just make my man-parts go very flaccid and limp. Sorry. 

9x19 I appreciate your compliments and there's nothing wrong with you not liking the colors, too each their own. There are so many awesome things about this hobby and not all of them will appeal to everyone. I've seen some absolutely incredible paint jobs that make me want to break my brushes in half because of how amazing they look but the colors turn me off. I've seen conversions that I think are great but I'd never field it in my army.

Thanks Race, I hope so! After the fins I will probably take a break because I have to paint a board game up. We bought Stuffed Fables for my kids as a group Christmas present. I've heard amazing things about the game and I cannot wait to play it with them. I want to get the main character minis painted up before we give it to them so I'm gong to work on those. I may 'accidentally' post a completed picture of them when I get back to 40k stuff.