Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

That's originally why I chose the purple as well. I might put that on tonight to see how it looks. I did a purple diamond but it was with the red grout and didn't look good. I would like to keep that link there, but didn't have time to paint it up last night with all the other stuff I was trying to accomplish.

I painted up some more tonight to try different things and I'm not loving any of them. I'm leaning towards painting the grout and doing a light dry brush to soften the wash and be done. Leave all the color on the Marines. Edited by thewarriorhunter

OK. Painted up a bunch of different base schemes tonight. I took two pictures with them flipped so the model and lighting can be compared against them all in a somewhat even manner. They all still need to be dry brushed but it was time to close up for the night.

QRLF0is.jpg

PBz9nQ0.jpg

I painted up some more tonight to try different things and I'm not loving any of them. I'm leaning towards painting the grout and doing a light dry brush to soften the wash and be done. Leave all the color on the Marines.

Yes ^this^  :wub:

Even before reading your's ans Duz comments I thought yes that's the winner for a chicken dinner :biggrin.:

I like them with the red/brown tbh. If you want some more contrast but not necessarily more colour you could also try white or black instead. Or an actual brown. For a more fancy version you could actually try gold as well.

Btw are those microartsstudios bases? What are you planning for a Redemptor Dread base considering they don't have any 90mm round bases?

Edit: to clarify, I'm talking about the diamonds only. The rest of the base is fine as is with a simple wash. ;)

Edited by sfPanzer

I special ordered 2 90mm based from a company in Australia for my Sentry Guns. About only place on the net I could find about 4 and change US.

Anyone know base do Armigers come on?

I special ordered 2 90mm based from a company in Australia for my Sentry Guns. About only place on the net I could find about 4 and change US.

Anyone know base do Armigers come on?

Armigers are 100mm according to GWs webshop. I could verify at home, but my impression was it's the same as the onagers' 100mm.

It appears some of the painted grout was done in black/grey dark brown and not an accent color. Those are my favorite I think, as they add more definition but don't detract from the gorgeous paint job. I am still a bit partial to the purple diamonds as well, but Panzer's suggestion about more neutral diamond colors intrigues me, like either white or black.

I like them with the red/brown tbh. If you want some more contrast but not necessarily more colour you could also try white or black instead. Or an actual brown. For a more fancy version you could actually try gold as well.

Btw are those microartsstudios bases? What are you planning for a Redemptor Dread base considering they don't have any 90mm round bases?

Edit: to clarify, I'm talking about the diamonds only. The rest of the base is fine as is with a simple wash. :wink:

These are made with clay and a textured rolling pin from GreenStuffWorld. The pin is 14.5 cm long so no worries if/when I start needing larger bases.

I did try black diamonds and didn't care for them at all. I hadn't considered white... I might give that a shot to see what it looks like.

Not a fan of painting the grout

For the top right a bit lighter on the wash (maybe thin it with medium if you have it) and a dry brush is still need

None look terrible that's just my preference :thumbsup:

Dry brush is still needed and that will soften up all of the wash stains. I agree none look terrible (well the purple grout does :D) but I'm not loving any of them... hrm...

It appears some of the painted grout was done in black/grey dark brown and not an accent color. Those are my favorite I think, as they add more definition but don't detract from the gorgeous paint job. I am still a bit partial to the purple diamonds as well, but Panzer's suggestion about more neutral diamond colors intrigues me, like either white or black.

I want to like the purple also because that was my 'tie in' but I think I like the way the red diamonds work with the grout more. The grout is a very dark brown. I wanted to use that since the wash is similar to that color when it hits the patterned recesses.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Top left and bottom right (as Duz said) are getting the most votes across the various places I've posted them. I may give the white diamonds a try just to see what it looks like and I hadn't considered that before.

A huge THANKS to all of you for your input. I decided to go with the brown grout and red diamonds. I also carried the wash over the sides which I didn't do on my first two. I'll have to go back and work on the two that are done but after seeing my model on the base I'm very happy with it. I did a light dry brush to help lighten it up and am really happy, although I think I did go a little heavy on the wash on a couple bases, I'll correct that on my next batch and when there's a bunch on the table they'll blend in.

The lighting isn't that great but the diamond is black red with a red highlight that is very subtle. I think the base works well and has just enough contrast to work with the model. I'm really looking forward to seeing my knights on this base. I've been toying with their scheme... but that's for another day.

fcKuYkb.jpg

dKBJJch.jpg

We got a new conference phone in at work and I quickly swiped the packaging. I have the frame work for a nice piece of terrain. I'm going to make it into a fortified command post. Here's a pic with my rough ideas:

Qs33q4K.png

Edited by thewarriorhunter

Last night I finished up the set of bases I was working on. Future homes for a combat squad each of intercessors, reivers, and tacticals. This is also half of my Primaris Kill Team that I built to test out the chapter.

vDsjJIa.jpg

I started working on the packaging I scored last week. This is the perfect height for marines. They're completely concealed if inside or they can get on the ramparts to defend the walls. The command room is only going to be big enough to allow 32mm and under bases through, so no heroes or terminators getting in there.

I also scored a bunch of foam core boards. I cut out one to be kill team size and am going to work on that slowly as well. The top down picture is the terrain on the kill team board (30 x 22).

ppdCsQj.jpg

6FOPlYf.jpg

s2TTVLP.jpg

oLTwuxs.jpg