Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

I love building terrain for games, Army first though. :)

I really don't understand why heroes aren't on 32mm bases? Infantry is infantry no?

Because it looks better and gives them more presence on the board, simple as that. Keep in mind there is no rule dor basesizes anyway.

That’s good to know sfPanzer, thanks. I want to base mine on 32mm we’re if they fit for uniformity. I can’t play unless it’s painted but I’m not a big hobbyist as far as painting. Though I do enjoy converting models.

edit: thewarriorhunter my apology for distracting from the threads purpose of showing off your awesome stuff.

Edited by Inquisitor Dracos

You can't play or you won't play? I ask seriously. I'm in the same boat and choose to not play unless it's painted. I can field ~1000 points of painted marines. If I throw on EVERY upgrade I might be able to squeak that up to 1250 and it's no where near an optimized list.

I don't like 2k point games but I do want to be able to field different things and am looking forward to adding a couple dedicated units of Spectral Sicarii. I'm playing a 650 point game tonight with pure Raven Guard. I posted in the 'What have your RG done lately' thread with my list but the basics of it for tonight are:

+ HQ +

Captain in Cataphractii Armor: Chainfist, Combi-plasma

Lieutenants
. Lieutenant: Chainsword, Jump Pack, Master-crafted boltgun, Storm of Fire, The Armour Indomitus, Warlord

+ Troops +

Scout Squad
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. 4x Scout w/Boltgun

Scout Squad: 5x Camo cloak
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle
. 4x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 4x Sniper rifle

Tactical Squad
. 7x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun/Bolt pistol
. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher

+ Elites +

Cataphractii Terminator Squad
. Cataphractii Sergeant: Combi-bolter, Grenade harness, Power sword
. Cataphractii Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power fist
. Cataphractii Terminator: Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw

Terminators and captain will be in reserve. They come in at 299 points so they're less than half the points and only 2 of my 4 drops. They are slow so I'm hoping to drop them into a position that they can cause a lot of damage. 22 boltgun shots should hopefully put in work. I put the combi-plasma on the captain to give him more shooting range since cataphractii are really slow at 4" of movement and half of the advance roll. If they get into melee they should hopefully put in work since they've got a ton of power fists.

Scouts will deploy wherever to be a nuisance and camp objectives. Marines will probably combat squad to help with moral and give me more avenues of travel for board control. I stuck the missile launcher in there to get something that has high STR.

My LT will be my warlord so he can have the armor indomitous and hopefully live longer. I plan on having him join up with the terminators as quickly as possible so their wounds of 6 become AP-1. I stuck the jump pack on him so I can hopefully hide him until the termies show up so he can then join them.

Haha, I took the list to maximize bolter shots. I rolled below average though so it wasn't a great experience. I had one to hit roll where 16 of 20 hit, and then I only converted two wounds on 3+ shooting so... yeah.

Next game I think I might run my tacs as sternguard and/or assault as VV and possibly squeeze my drop pod in so I can show it off. I need to read up on drop pod rules because I remember there being some back and forth on doors and disembarking.

I was planning on painting tonight but by the time my kids were in bed I was too tired to focus. I decided instead to build a couple models since that's pretty brainless work. I got two intercessors off sprue and cleaned up. Those will allow me to complete a combat squad when they're painted. I also decided to work on my jump captain a little more. I made a different torso with a cataphractii front and a regular marine back to hold the jetpack. I looks much better now and he won't look small next to his primaris brethren.

I'll probably shave down the spiky trim for this guy but I'm liking what I have going. Arms will be magnetized so that I can put different weapon loadouts on him. 

vxgKpfm.jpg

X8PgxT4.jpg

4ogtmqe.jpg

Finally got my second Reiver done. I'm going to build up a few more so I can field a combat squad once I get done painting what's prepped. For now I may run a mixed primaris squad of reivers/intercessors at my next 650 game night. They'll be one or the other with the 'wrong' models being proxied. I really want to try them out since I've only used my Inceptors to date.

18axk4ih.jpg

KiNXmZOh.jpg

H1A6SZ9h.jpg

You've got so many awesome miniatures done. The Reiver's looking great; really detailed painting on the bases, and that jump Captain is looking good so far. Same equip as the Shadow Captain I'm painting..

Thanks! The jump captain will have magnetized arms so I can build whatever loadout I want. I've got a cataphractii squad that I'm never going to paint in my new scheme so I plan on using all of those bodies to convert oldmarines into HQs for my new army. I think the bigger frames will help them not looks so small next to their larger brethren.

Decided I didn't want to waste the blue base coat I'd put on my pallet so I painted up a few of the tacticals that I had primed. Painting them made me realize I'm not sure what I should do with the exhaust housings on their back packs, and the reivers. The Intercesors have an extra heat shied(?) on theirs that I painted blue. I'm not sure if I should leave the other models with just the gray if or I should paint the whole exhaust section blue. Any thoughts?

MkH31vlh.jpg

WQjRVLFh.jpg

I got some feedback from internet friends and it was all mixed. I decided to go for painting the entire exhaust vent blue and like the looks. I'll still do the inside of it silver washed with Nuln Oil.

hm7GgBNh.jpg

I was planning on painting tonight but by the time my kids were in bed I was too tired to focus. I decided instead to build a couple models since that's pretty brainless work. I got two intercessors off sprue and cleaned up. Those will allow me to complete a combat squad when they're painted. I also decided to work on my jump captain a little more. I made a different torso with a cataphractii front and a regular marine back to hold the jetpack. I looks much better now and he won't look small next to his primaris brethren.

I'll probably shave down the spiky trim for this guy but I'm liking what I have going. Arms will be magnetized so that I can put different weapon loadouts on him. 

that there....i get that a lot :sweat:  i'm glad i'm not alone there :laugh.: sometimes after putting my son to bed i come out to my desk and go ugh i'm just not focused enough for good painting!!.

i like your stuff,it was a good read( always like seeing other people's work,it always inspires me and i also get painting modeling ideas from em too :ph34r.: )

just my 2 cents on your vents there..they look good but see the bottom flat rim bit,i'd be tempted to paint it boltgun to make the difference more noticeable ....my thoughts.

keep up the good work anyways :thumbsup:

cheers, Mithril

Thanks for the input!

Normally I highlight/recess glaze with two darker blues. I think I'm going to put the dark blue around the rim and edge highlight with the darkest blue too see how that looks. I think it will help to define the area more.

The blue vent on the Mk 4 marines looks great. I was going to suggest a stripe instead; could give them helmet stripes ;-)

Helmet stripes/lack of stripes is how leaders will be distinguished. The order of colors for rank is as follows:

Marine - gray helmet

Sergeant - gray helmet, blue stripe

Lieutenant - blue helmet

Captain - blue helmet, gray stripe

I am working on additional battle/honor markings but I'm not sure what I will do. I'm leaning towards something being on the knees to indicate honors or status. I'm not sure if I want to put unit designations on the right shoulder because I envision my army to be semi-non codex compliant in relation to how they structure themselves and even more so because they operate under strength.

Even though your rank color choice conflicts with Codex chapters:sweat:  i think it'll look really nice and cannot wait to see some rank helmets painted up....

As race Bannon says Chop Chop..(which in old person speak is "Hurry up and Get to it man! :biggrin.: )

Cheers, Mithril 

I'm gushing right now. After last night's LVO release I am so excited. The Vanguard Primaris sound exactly like what I need for my army. Their roles fit the background and play-style that I've envisioned for my army form the start.

In case you missed it:

LVOStudioPreview-Feb7-ShadowspearLibrari

LVOStudioPreview-Feb7-Eliminators8snvrx.

Finished up my Intercessor Sgt last night. He was originally going to be just a guy when I had kill team in mind but now that I'm committing to a 40k force I decided to make him a Sgt. I magnetized his left arm so he'll transport in my KR cases better and if I want to in the future I can give him a power fist/sword or model him with a chain sword. I'm not sure If I'll ever do that though because I see intercessors as being back line troops and not getting to close combat and I don't think it makes sense to spend points on something I would prefer to not happen.

Grenade Launcher was made with Kill Team in mind and rule of cool. I hacked up a sternguard combi bolter and added it to the rifle. The 'grenades' are the missiles from the scout kit.

ycUlResh.jpg

lnIFpt7h.jpg

6zOEDNKh.jpg

udc7oYnh.jpg

So I've finally got five primaris done... I paint slow. But I have no problem proxying them in my 650 games now. I've also decided that the other model I worked on with the DIY sling is going to be painted up as a Lieutenant. I'm going to push on getting the tactical squad finished up next though so I can use them in FLGS games and the Calth game.

I've also got two more intercessors pinned to cork and ready for primer. Once I free up some cork from the tacticals that are WIP I'll get three reivers ready for prime as well, then I can airbrush them all at the same time for base coating.

Nice job on the grenade launcher. I always think of conversion like this and the one I'm doing for my Aggressors as the Master of the Forge tinkering in the Armory with new weapon designs, customizing them to fit the Chapter or even just a particular Marine's fighting style.

Over the weekend I started working on my tactical squad. These paint up a lot faster that primaris marines but are still a paint do do all the highlighting... I love my scheme but hate painting it. I probably would have gotten them close to finished but my son wanted to build some Necrons. I quickly cleaned up my paints to help him because it's been awhile since he showed any interest in building them.

He's following the rule of cool and not really paying attention to unit composition right now. We finished one wraith, his crytpek, and a couple infantry that he'll run as either lychguard or pratorian trayarchs. When we play smaller 40k games I'll probably have him pick one or the other to run them as so it's easier for him to play the unit. He's got one more infantry to build and two wraiths left and then he's done. The wraith is a really cool model but way too top heavy. I glued a couple nuts to the bottom of the base and they help but it's still not great. I'm going to have to fill the entire bottom of those bases so they don't tip so easy, I think.

Side note: I almost broke out the Armigers in the Forgebane box but I'm being good and holding off. I'm not ready to add those to my army and I've got a lot of other stuff I need to get finished up first...

qMw8djbh.jpg

Front two models are a little more done than the back three. They look terrible to me right now but I think it's because the guns are blending in to the armor. Once I get those done I think the models will pop.

SsuHCvCh.jpg

Think I nailed down the high points of my knight allies:

All female knight house that was deployed to bolster the defenses of a Sisters of Battle monastery that bordered an engagement zone of <threat TBD>. During the ensuing battles/war the monastery was lost and the SoB slain entirely. However the enemy deliberately avoided the knights so many survived. When the Ecclesiarchy, Inquisition, and greater Imperium heard of the loss and failure of the knight house they did not allow the knights to evacuate the planet during the tactical disengagement of Imperium forces. The knight house always remembers this event as The Abandonment.

The knights continued to fight and persevere and grew bitter towards the Imperium, especially the bureaucratic elements of the Ecclesiarchy and Inquisition. While the knights loath the higher echelons of the Imperium they will always defend the Sisters of Battle if they are on the field of engagement. This will obviously cause issues because of the conflicting loyalties between the knights, Imperium, and smaller forces of SoB.

A distress signal was sent out that was picked up by the Spectral Sicarii and they arrived to find the knights battle hardened and bitter. The fleet had the resources to evacuate the knights and I now have insta-knight allies! The knight house swears fealty to the Spectral Sicarii and claims a life oath to the chapter until the last knight falls in battle.

The heraldry of the knights is unknown because they changed it after The Abandonment. Currently they are Red and Black. The Red was chosen to honor the shed blood of all of the Sisters who fell in battle while the monastery was under attack. The Black represents the loss of honor and shame at how they were tortuously spared while the sisters were slain under their watch. The banners they fly will be the tattered remnants of the banners flown and carried by the Sisters they defended as a reminder of what they were charged with.

Taking a slight detour with the Raven Guard event going on to prep for this year's ETL. I need to finish work on my contemptor and convert and assemble my venerable dreadnought. I've got bases ordered for both (contemptor was based for my other army and the ven didn't come with one). I've also ordered some plasticard rods to use for the venerable's legs. My goal is to lengthen them a little, rerun the tubes, and change the pose so it has more of a stride and doesn't look so goofy from the side. The contemptor just needs a little detail work and then I can finish priming it.

KdZpOIZh.jpg

tWR3Vy0h.jpg]