Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

Mocked up and glued a few things on tonight! I had an idea to use some leftover vicious claws from my son's wraiths on the fist but it looked a little wonky. I may play around with them a bit more to see if I can get it to work. It looked a little too chaos/xenos for my taste, but I do like the idea. I also only have two, and I think three might be what I need to make it work but I won't be able to get that.

QsOk9WZh.jpg

I also stared at the legs to determine how I was going to convert this guy and I have a plan... that involves cutting up the legs entirely... each red line is a cut...

51716773_237062113753694_576431254468034

Thanks, duz_! I am also hoping when I'm done with the legs that I will be able to flip the leg armor upside down. I like the look of a 'shield' more than a 'window'. I am also hoping to just magnetize the leg armor because I'd eventually like to try some freehand on both pieces.

Wow nicely done my man

Thanks! I've got more to do but am going to hold off until I get the plasticard so I can better gauge where cuts should be.

Tonight I got my DoS Vow 2 ready for priming. I probably won't get to prime them until later in the week because of the weather. I'm hoping to finish painting the tactical squad I'm working on soon so I can free up some more corks. Barrels are all drilled and I decided to run the reivers with carbines and not even attempt any CC options.

In the back you can see one of my bases for DoS Vow 1. I've got two more drying right now and bases ordered.

VEuNI4xh.jpg

We're not set to receive much rain where I am. I'm still looking for a good gray primer that I can pick up locally. The current one I have is ok.

What I have done to make it work with my current primer is prime, base coat, then lightly seal my model, that way during highlighting and detail work I'm not rubbing off the paint with my ham fists.

Once the weather warms up I'm going to order some of the badger primer so I can get more work done with my air brush.

24* Fahrenheit here in Indy. Won’t be primering anything for a bit. :sad.:

Yeah I'm sorry about that. Also I wish I would have paid more attention to locations of our fine group. I was in Indy earlier this year for a work conference. It would have been great to try and meet up for a drink or game, Dracos.

I put my 3rd vow in for DoS. I think I'm going to keep it at a vow per squad because I never know when I'm going to have time to work on stuff. I will say this has been really great for inspiring me to really push getting my backlog done. Everything will slow down come painting time but at least I'll have plenty ready. Also there is something satisfying about having things off the sprue.

My hellblasters are all pinned and ready to prime after I get the stuff in front of it done. I also made another batch of bases so I can not violate ETL/DoS rules. I made a few 40mm bases as well this time in case I can get a 4th vow of some characters done.

WcCqn8Gh.jpg

zmYTHgSh.jpg

Worked on my hobby cookies tonight. Got 12 32mm bases glued and roughed out. Next step will be gap filling the seams and sanding the edges smooth, after that I can prime.

First picture shows two roughly cleaned bases on the right, untouched ones on the left. Last picture is the pile of clay I shaved off.

AvD5wYCh.jpg

TtWwyUih.jpg

Not a bad idea. A lot of those marks will go away once I sand the edges to make them match the angle of the base though.

I've got two more than I need right now so maybe I'll take those and distress them a little to see how it looks. After I gap fill and sand I imagine I could easily chip up the edges a little and scratch the surface here and there. I guess if I go through details like the diamonds or grout that would look best as the main tile color since that would be what is underneath. As for the completed bases if I scattered those into existing units the 'cleanliness' of them would probably blend in not stand out as new vs old.

Here's a test sample of a damaged/worn base since it was suggested. Left is a 'regular' base. The right is one that I did some distressing too. It's a little glossy in the photos because I haven't varnished it yet. I do think I like it and incorporating this into my army will be easy. I would think the regular bases would blend in well enough when I have a mix of worn/unworn bases. Thoughts?

3NgSy3zh.jpg

fhy5QGOh.jpg

Gotcha. I think as I do more I'll be comfortable with heavier chipping. I think I was worried that I might be doing too much. The more I look at it the more I do like it.

I think a blend of no weathering all the way to heavy will go together nicely.

Got both 60mm bases done tonight and ready for priming. The Venerable base is very busy and won't show well in photos until I have paint on it. My contemptor base shows a little better and here it is:

nxIIYywh.jpg

K584wGPh.jpg

I was so excited to get them together that I forgot to sand them down to make them thinner. It's not a huge deal but they do stick up about 5mm higher than I'd like. I guess a benefit of the thick bases is that they're heavy and going to be a very stable platform.