Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

Thanks duz! Took me way to long to paint them up but I'm happy I finally got them done. I've got some ideas on how to do my next ones and as I type this I just realized that I've got a great scheme for lightning claws now as well! Might have to look at my VV that are sitting in a box waiting for paint...

Man I love seeing your Sicarii on the table. Damn purtee :) Props to the Ork player and his movement trays.

Query: Did you use the Auspex Stratagem when his Orks jumped? I'm curious to to know if it works in that situation given GW multiple FAQ and the loops the rules make every six months.

I did not. I wanted too but I think the last FAQ said units that are moved are not actually reserves.

Side note: I've got a demo of Adeptus Titanicus this week so... Might finally decide to buy a couple Titans

Edited by thewarriorhunter

I’d like to see someone else double check but this is what I pulled off the latest Space Marine FAQ for the Auspex stratagem.

Q: Can the Auspex Scan Stratagem be used to shoot an enemy unit that is removed from the battlefield and then set up again, for example, when using a teleport homer?

A: Yes.

I think they’re is A LOT of confusion between the use if the words reserves, reinforcements and then add in the mess that that nerfed the old Alpha Strike but still allows first thrn charges due to various movement rules in various armies through psychic powers, stratagems, etc.

The only time I’ve seen Auspex NOT allowed to be used is rules that set models on the board “before the first turn begins”. Admitted 2 CP isn’t cheap either and it’s a pretty circumstantial rule. For 2CP it seems a fair rule.

Well, that is good to know especially for when it could potentially make a difference. I think in this game it wouldn't have mattered much given it was a low volume of fire devastator squad that could have used it.

In other news I guess I'm committed...

UOuOcYzh.jpg

I think so. Worst case I got a great deal on some sweet models to build and really take my time with. I was considering Bolt Action because of the activation mechanics but this is alternating so I'm sold. Plus these models are waaaaaaaaaaay cooler than BA.

I'm strongly considering trying to get these done in time for Adepticon 2020. I've got several online friends I'd love to meet and there are talks of a huge titanicus battle at the next meetup.

Holy <CENSORED/REDACTED/BLASPHEMOUS HERETICAL STATEMENT> Adeptus Titanicus is FUN!

My opponent's titans are all WIPs so we played with what he had in its current state. The mechanics were easily grasped and we were able to draw LOS since all the profiles were close to accurate, minus a carapace here and there. First couple turns were a little slow and I played my warhound like a warlord, but in turn 3 stuff started heating up with reactor leaks, critical damage, explosions, and got really fun.

I played a stratagem that caused my critically damaged warhound to explode in the hopes of taking out his warhound... sadly it did not. He had a reactor overheat and he rolled the worst thing on the event table which caused his titan that was a huge threat to me to explode and it also wounded his warhound. I had a Reiver that I was able to get into combat and it punched his warlord in the kidney and caused some critical damage. There are just so many cool little moments that happened in this game and I cannot wait to get my stuff built up and painted.

I'm leaning towards a black/green marble paint and snow themed bases... any thoughts on that?

Picture from the game:

aSzYeinh.jpg

We called it turn 5 and it took about 2.5 hours. The mechanics made a lot of sense and it seemed very intuitive. Lots of rules to remember but they make sense so it's not terrible. I did forget a few things and have to be reminded but for a first game I felt like everything flowed like you would expect it to. GW made cheat sheets for turn mechanics and specific tables which really helped for quick reference. I think we only had to look a couple things up in the book.

I think if both people have a solid grasp of the rules the games would be shorter. It is very crunchy and you roll a lot for status checks but those rolls are what make the game so thematic and cinematic.

We didn't have any weird rules interactions but I'm sure they could occur. From what I've heard generally it's a pretty clean game.

I think the biggest issues that could arise would be template and cover arguments (hits a model or doesn't and is this 25% or 50% obscured?). I think knowing your opponent and having a conversation mitigates most of that. For me at least I'm playing for fun. If it's too close to tell I usually defer to my opponent because I'd rather play a game than rules lawyer everything.

I really hate painting this scheme but I love how it looks when it's done. Oh well, slow and steady wins the race.

Two more intercessors and my Phobos LT got work done on them. Recess wash, first highlight, and soft armor and pouches are done. This is the point where I usually sigh in relief because the final white highlight and blues go on fairly quickly. The recess wash and first highlight take forever and are very tedious.

I added some retarder to my concrete wash that I use for recesses and I think it really helped. It's more defined on the model and was a lot easier to work with on the brush.

VWX6rT3h.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been busy with my titans but I thought I could get away with an update since I painted black last night :tongue.:

Got a metallic black base coated on my warhounds and I don't hate it. I also started work on color tests for snow themed bases.

n3go0GSh.jpg

TXNGBUnh.jpg

Az3iT0Nh.jpg

Every time I get into my hobby area I see my SS guys that are half painted. At some point I'll finish them up, especially because the LT is pledged as an ETL vow, but right now giant stompy robots are calling me.

It's a 50/50 mix of Vallejo Air Metallic Black and Vallejo Model Color Black.

The metallic by itself is very gray so I added the MC black to darken it and it works. If I'm being honest I wish it was darker but I don't have any paints to help that.

I'm going to dry brush with the metallic by itself and then do a light steel dry brush to highlight up. I've heard that using a red to recess shade trucks the eyes into thinking the shadows are darker and might give that a shot.

Also I think all the details (pistons, cables, etc) will be steel and silver so that will add some bright spots that hopefully make the legs appear more black. I was considering doing the details on gold to match the armor trim but I think that might get to be too much.

OK, My legio thread isn't getting any hits. I need my brethren of the black armor to tell me which set of legs they like better.

Shiny:

qbVynRC.jpg

Washed (not so shiny)

EdecKTo.jpg

The washed legs still need a dry brush to bring back up the shine on some of the edges and the metallic look that I want.

I'm getting feedback that's all over the place. I'm not sure which one I like so I'm soliciting feedback to get opinions and thoughts.

Hard to say without knowing the carapace plate colors. If you are doing a neutral plate color, then I like the gold. If you are going with a non-neutral color, than the darker metallic is preferred.

The darker wash will definitely make whatever carapace plate color you choose "pop" more.

Brass is going on both legs, I just hadn't done that yet. I ran out of time and figured I'd at least try to get some feedback.

Carapice colors are going to be Green marble, with some ivory marble pieces thrown in for accent/contrast. Trim is going to be the same brass but instead of washed with nuln (like in the first pic) I'm going to glaze/shade with brown and highlight up with silver.