Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

The only applications that I think Shotgun scouts serve are: 1) Rule of Cool, 2) 5 of them in a LSS so they can get close to deliver the bonus STR and not suffer retribution.

That all being said I think the LSS is hot garbage this edition, and should only be taken for its aesthetic/fluff positives.

I've run the LSS in two games and liked it in both. 18" of movement means it can get where it needs to be and apply pressure. It's got a decent amount of wounds. I do dislike that it's usually shooting at -1 since it's weapons are heavy but for the mobility I really like it.

I want to give it a couple more games to see how it really works. Because I think scouts play such a vital role in area denial I don't look at the LSS as a transport in any way. To me it's a light fast attack option that is more of a distraction/harassing unit.

Got my dev squad together for a few pictures tonight.

ncPTvs4.jpg

j8tucuQ.jpg

9AQAR9d.jpg

And here's what I've got on the bench to be painted next:

fHrZDBB.jpg

wTznwz5.jpg

o5dFs8g.jpg

Like many others I loath the scout heads. They look like someone tried to carve a face into a brick. I've used these Kromlech heads on my sniper squad and they look great. I think they scale better too because they look like a head, not a block.

I will eventually make some camo cloaks for these guys but I will probably work on that after they're painted. I want to get them done so I can field them and get some more area denial going on in my list.

Thanks! I wanted them to match and not be black or 'digital' because of the basing. I also used several tree bits on these bases because I wanted it to feel like the scouts were perched high up on a forested ridge overlooking their advancing brethren.

When I make the cloaks for my boltgun scouts I am going to try and replicate the pattern on the Issodorn model I posted before. If I can do that well I'll redo the cloaks on my snipers to match because I like that pattern a lot more.

Scouts are primed. After looking at the heavy boltgun I'm debating on shaving off the skull and putting a piece of my brass etch there... I'll probably do it and lightly re-prime that side. I think it will look good and be something to make my squad unique.

ImjLm7L.jpg

EDIT: Welp, I went for it. I think it's going to look much better:

GPuxHUh.jpg

kLdHrMj.jpg

Edited by thewarriorhunter

Thanks. I think so too.

I'm curious to see how this one paints. I put a smaller one on the backpacks of my Plasma Cannons and it's so small the details are hard to make out. This is the next size up so I'm hoping the recessed background contrasts a little more with the raised areas. I'll probably paint it white, but I'm debating on making it gold... probably wouldn't make sense for it to be flashy since it's on a scout unit.

Got the base layers and shading for my scouts done today.
Base coat post priming. 60/40 Black/Black Grey:

ZaxsmWF.jpg

First wash with Nuln Oil:

RZrBvG6.jpg

Dark Grey for the cloth. I know some people leave the arms bare and show 'skin' but I don't want to do that. I don't like the contrast of the skin against the black armor:

6vMGo1e.jpg

Last wash with Nuln Oil again.

7jD1Mu9.jpg

This takes the black to the deep black I have and mutes the grey. It's still Raven Guardish but there's enough of a contrast between the grey and black to be subtly noticeable. The wash is still drying as I type this (lower right boltgun arm shows this) so I'll call it a night. I'll work on finishing the bodies up next painting session and then I might take a break from the arms to do their bases.

I did that with my devastator squad and really enjoyed the process. I think being able to get bodies done and then do something else that's still directly related to the squad is refreshing and helps to stifle the boredom of only doing one thing. At that point I can put models on bases and if I had a game I could use them sans weapons since their loadout is simple.

I also think I'm going to leave the skulls on the wrists black. I do not like them at all but by the time I realized that I was already past base coating. It would have been to much work to remove them because I would have ruined the paint. I'll probably get one or two more squads of scouts (or build out larger squads) and with those models I'll shave off the skulls prior to painting.

Thanks! If I can help someone else then I'm happy. I don't claim to be a pro and I know I have a lot of room to improve but I enjoy documenting the process.

I did notice tonight how much faster my painting has gotten. Before what I did tonight would have probably taken me twice as long. It's a good feeling know I can bang a unit out in a couple of days if I really need to.

You win the satisfaction of knowing you helped me fill out another troop slot.

It was a good price but it was listed as 'undercoated red'. I didn't want to mess with it if it was going to need to be stripped but I was pretty sure it was a red sprue from the combat patrol game.

I'm about halfway done painting my bolt gun scout squad right now and I would like another one so I can have a second troop slot filled. The timing and price for this were great so I bought them.

After this I'll have three squads (2 boltgun, one sniper) so I can fill out a battalion detachment with only scouts if I want too. No more stretching my tac squad just to meet the requirements.

Awwwww yeah!

4fXNlHx.jpg

Question: Can I bend his lighting claws to straighten them out or will they break? This will be the first metal model I've worked with. I assume shaving/filing the flash off will be fine, but I don't want to break a claw while bending it. I'm also loving the chest skulls. I'm going to have to cast a few of those so I can decorate other sgts and captains with them.