Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

Well it's been a bit since my last post. Got my first decal applied with great results and started on 3 tactical marines so I can get Calth finished up. I think painting three models at a time is my sweet spot because it goes so quickly. I'm also not being as careful with these since they'll be used less frequently than my primaris models. The light gray and highlights are done, black soft armor is done and I had to stop blocking in the blue because it's getting late.

0G2MZlOh.jpg

I discoverd the Tzaangor upgrade sprue and found my chainswords for my chapter. Bought some bits and a local guy had some of the AoS shields so I've got my smash captain squared away. I converted up my counts-as Teeth of Terra and will get him painted up after I finish the round of Tactical Marines I'm working on for Calth.

YJED4TWh.jpg

Thanks! I think what I like most is actually the handle. With the one I've used you could see the captain easily getting both hands on it to really put some force behind it. It feels a lot meatier with that as apposed to just the single-handed grip length.

Three tacticals are now on completed bases minus weapons. Two are bolters that just need highlighting, the marine without arms is my special weapons model. I need to highlight all three variants (plasma, flamer, melta) and do the plasma glow. Those weapons will get a magnet so I can swap them out.

lJ9zamwh.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnd done.

Three tactical models down, three to go to have the first three missions of Calth playable. I'm not in love with the plasma but I'm happy with my first attempt. If this were a Hellblaster I'd be redoing it but since the model will rarely see the table and only the box game I'm happy enough.

I'm working on the Sgt next. First layer is down and I've got all the options being painted as well minus a bolt gun. With Calth there's no reason to give him a bolt gun since the ability to equip special weapons is rare and you usually take them when you can.

IKVFIXyh.jpg

Dv3AHE8h.jpg

No paint updates but I'm very excited that one of my 2020 hobby goals is underway. A local guy has commissioned me to build, magnetize, and paint 4 armigers for him. I'm very stoked and looking forward to the opportunity to build them up. Funny enough two of the armigers used to be mine and I sold them to him. I was very close to building them and now I still get too, but I'll be paid for it.

He's got a knight that he bought off ebay that I'll be matching the scheme too. Should be a lot of fun.

Everything is assembled! These kits are really nice. I had to order magnets so the weapons will gave to wait to be glued and painted but I plan on trying to color match the body and armor and start on those. I ordered of eBay from China but if they take to long to arrive I'll suck it up and order the minimum amount I need from the states to get them sooner.

The lighting lock bits are very cool. My customer ordered them off etsy. Whatever material/resin their made out of is very nice to work with. Super sturdy and not very fragile (but I didn't do any stress tests!)

GeKqkrYh.jpg

Those lightning locks look interesting. Not as detailed as the original, but looks a lot cleaner cast than the originals.

Any idea how you intend to cover up the top gun mount when using them as Moirax? Those don't have any top guns, instead a miniature shield generator thingy.

Any idea how you intend to cover up the top gun mount when using them as Moirax? Those don't have any top guns, instead a miniature shield generator thingy.

Not too sound callous but that will be his issue to work through. I wasn't even aware of that bit on the carapace but we agreed that I would build the models stock but magnetize the arms. Based on our conversations and what he wants from me I don't think he's too concerned about that detail. I'm not planning on gluing the carapace weapons so I'm guessing he'll just remove them when playing.

Sgt is playable. He needs some cleanup and decals/weathering. I've got every other weapon option almost done and then they just need magnets.

Really happy with the blends on his shoulder pads. I added a very thin/watered down glaze of the base turquoise and I think it did a lot to smooth the transitions.

97AY9EYh.jpg

Played a 1k game against orks. Did a quick write up and posted some pictures here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/332882-what-have-your-raven-guard-done-lately/?p=5470453

I also picked up a second commission of 5 Deathwing terminators. My base scheme happens to be almost exactly to a couple test models he gave me so I think these should paint up fairly quickly:

P04e16Lh.jpg

Gotta make that money! If i can stay 'hobby neutral' this year I will be very happy. What I mean by that is I don't spend any money on my hobby that I don't make from the hobby, whether that's commissions, trades, selling off old stuff, etc.

Picked up Blackstone Fortress and the Citadel Starter Paint set over the weekend. A local guy was selling and I couldn't pass up the deal since I've been wanting the game since it released. Took a slight detour from painting to build everything so the game is at least playable. I'll paint the figures as we go.

Q1OAMKjh.jpg

I hope you find a new group soon!

I was going to paint in sub assemblies to do a good job but after thinking about it I cam to the conclusion that would be a terrible idea. It'd be a year before it was playable at the rate I paint and since it's a board game I'm not concerned with doing an amazing paint job. I'll probably play this with my wife mostly and she won't care. We have a similar game that's fantasy themed called Descent. It's a lot of fun but takes ~2 hours a session. I'm looking forward to BSF since we can knock out an expedition or two and put it up so it won't require nearly as much time. I also like that the end goal is in place from the start so we know what we're working towards.

Terminator progress. I got most of the colors blocked in last night and used my first GW paint: Balthasar Gold. I really liked it, it's much more brown that the Vallejo golds I use so I'm excited to have more range in colors. I need to pick out a few more details and then some targeted washes will get put on. I sent this pic to my client this morning and he was very happy, which makes me happy.

lbNi63Jh.jpg

Thanks, Kolgrim!

And pivoting in a different direction tonight I helped my son apply static grass to his bases. I showed him how to do it on one model and he took off and did the rest. He's very excited and it's quite an upgrade. He wants his bases to be a marsh theme and I think the grass really helps take it to that level.

FJL1Cshh.jpg