Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

Looking good. I’m curious, where is that apothecary model from? I missed most of 5th and all 6th and 7th editions, so I’m always seeing models I’m unfamiliar with. Makes me think of Horus Heresy models I’ve seen but never been interested in the game enough to dive into those waters

Progress. Vials and tubes are blocked in. Tubes are done, not sure what to do with the vials. I'm tempted to leave them black because I feel like a solid container would be more resilient on the battlefield than a transparent container that shows liquid inside. Going to make the crotch cloth purple since that's my cape color. Base coat and wash is on, I'll do some glazing/dry brushing from there to lighten it up. My goal right now is to get the torso done so I can fit it to the base.

zbyH3KMh.jpg

There are a lot of tubes on this model... I'm calling the body done aside from some slight touch ups. Happy with the crotch cloth for now, the highlight on the right leg is a little so start so I may tone that down. Base is coming along and I think I realized what to do with the head. It would make sense that the scalp is covered in dust/debris from having rubble collapse on the model so I'll probably work some reds and browns in there along with the washes for the base color and call it done. I don't see a need to really work on getting a perfect skin tone on this guy.

ISeYnmth.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a minute but I'm back. Decided that commission painting isn't for me as I was miserable every time I worked on other people's models. Backed out of the Tau project so I could focus on my own stuff for 9th. I got all of my Infiltrators from Shadowspear primed and also started working on my Xiphon!

I've got some brass rod that I'll be using to pin all horizontal joins because I do not want things falling off after I'm done. The back half of the fuselage has an ever so slight bow that I was not able to straighten. It's a big chunk of resin that didn't lend itself well to heating up in water and I didn't want to risk damaging it. It's making lining up the engines a bit of a pain but after some seam filling on the top and filing/sanding on the bottom I think I'll get the pieces blending together so it won't be noticeable.

4RqpbjWh.jpg

lsMunWWh.jpg

N3DHgzGh.jpg

Well it's been a minute but I'm back. Decided that commission painting isn't for me as I was miserable every time I worked on other people's models. Backed out of the Tau project so I could focus on my own stuff for 9th. I got all of my Infiltrators from Shadowspear primed and also started working on my Xiphon!

:yes:

This is very wise :tu:

When it comes to commission painting for me I have to want to build / paint the model and usually only for friends without strict deadlines

Otherwise I have too much of my own hobby to get through

Can wait to see the finished product. How are you gonna paint it :D

Also how'd you line the pins up so straight? I never can <_<

Also how'd you line the pins up so straight? I never can :dry.:

Carefully :D

I get a rough idea where both side should meet. Drill one side out and put some small pins in so they are only sticking out a bit. I press the two sides together pretty firmly and the pins leave an indentation. From there I drill the new side out, then slowly step up the holes and switch to toothpicks to make sure I'm still lined up. Since I'm using a thick two part epoxy I made the holes a little larger than the rod diameter which helped for the final alignment.

I'd actually love to drill two pins through the entire cross body but I'm not sure if that will be possible (wing fin to wing fin). I am going to pin the engines but I'm not sure how that will work since the engines have to slide 'up' into their slot. Might have to make the holes in the engine a little larger to give it some play and make sure there's enough epoxy and the rod that it fills up the empty space.

One of my friends is doing commission painting for the guys in our group. and he gets stressed occassionaly when the give him all the models to build and paint then wont give him a paint scheme to work with then add more models. He's still has to paint one guys GSC Army that they just agreed on and that guy is already telling him to paint his necrons from 9e boxes a certain way. He does enjoy the building and painting portion and it helps him not want new armies all the time. 

One of the other guys hinted for me paint for him. I lol'd at him. I have too much stuff of my own to paint. 

Great Stuff so fat TWH

Two posts in two days, feels good to be back!

Last night I used a power drill on my Xiphon and I thought I'd never bring any type of power tool close to my models... oh well. It worked! I started a pilot hole with my pin vice and then lined up my x/y-axis on my cutting mat. My drill has a bubble level on it so I was able to hold level and went slow and steady. I started on the left engine and when I got through I used that to put a pilot hole into the body (top right photo). Back to the drill all the way through and repeated the pilot hole process on the right engine. Amazingly I was near perfect coming out the other side (bottom left). I only had enough drill bit sticking out to go through the recess, that way if my alignment was off I wouldn't poke through the engine casing and have a huge hole to patch up.

Everything lines up nice and fits snug. I had to heat up and bend the front parts of the engine pieces to get them close to the fuselage and it's all ready for glue which I'm hoping I can get too tonight. I was debating on putting a second rod through but I think one will be sufficient. I will be pinning the wings as well when I get to adding those.

xjnZUwhh.jpg

One should be plenty! Great work! :tu:

I'll admit I use my power drill a fair bit when magnetising usually on 3mm and 6mm magnets though

Makes things a lot quicker

Definitely not something as delicate as this though! :sweat:

Maybe don't pin the wings? Only because the heavier parts will be fairly secure now and if (Emperor forbid) it gets knocked and drops it would be better for it to snap at the (unreinforced) glue points vs somewhere else in the cast

Not a bad idea about not pinning the wings. I might just go with super glue so it's brittle if too much stress is applied and it snaps out.

And I lied, I have used my dremel in a couple special cases previously, but that's more of a finesse tool than the drill. I don't think anything else will need to be pinned though since it's just engines and missile rack. I have to do the canopy but I need to make sure I have the right glue so it doesn't fog. I'd like to paint some type of HUD onto the windscreen so you can see inside because I WILL be painting all the cockpit details.

Lol at all of you. I glued the pilot together and didn't consider that he wouldn't be able to slot into the cockpit. I briefly considered cutting a bit out of the canopy so his head could stick through but no... Luckily I was able to pop the torso off the legs after he spent a couple hours in the freezer to make the glue brittle.

I also magnetized the landing gear so in game the gear will be up but if I want I can display the model on the ground with gear extended. I have this vision of using vehicles as terrain, like a Kill Team or Combat Patrol mission happening near a vehicle depot, and this allows the model to be used in that capacity now without it just being set on the table on its belly.

I also magnetized the landing gear so in game the gear will be up but if I want I can display the model on the ground with gear extended. I have this vision of using vehicles as terrain, like a Kill Team or Combat Patrol mission happening near a vehicle depot, and this allows the model to be used in that capacity now without it just being set on the table on its belly.

Neat idea! I'd like to see pics :D