Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

Work continues. Probably overkill but I pinned the missiles onto the bottom since they're 'hanging'. It's a light bit though so I'm too worried but... better safe than sorry. I also started filling in gaps and seams along the engines and body. I've got the engine intakes' glue trying right now. I was debating on leaving them off but there are some gaps that I want to fill so better to add them now. I am planning on leaving the three exhausts off until after paint.

I'm currently deciding how to paint it. I've seen some really cool schemes and am thinking of a blue stripe up the nose, something on the engines, and maybe one or two stripes along each wing.

6uJZ0lVh.jpg

HWjf2nnh.jpg

Green stuff time... Enjoy :down:

I'm using a product called Perfect Plastic Putty, that's the white material in the seams in the second picture. It can be thinned with water and applied with a paint brush. Let it sit for a minute and then use a damp q-tip to wipe off the excess. It's really nice and I found it through watching scale modeling videos. Much easier that greenstuff since no sanding is really needed.

Wings were held on with a bunch of rubber bands while the super glue set. I ended up not pinning them since they have a nice slot they fit into. I did pin the top fin because I couldn't help myself. I need to fill in the gaps on the wings and top fin but then she should be ready to prime. I'm watching a bunch of vehicle painting videos to try and figure out how to do this.

Canopy is off because I'm planning on doing the cockpit pilot and leaving the canopy clear with some type of HUD painted on the inside.

AhPnq84h.jpg

rqxAy5Wh.jpg

:wub:

Forgot how beautiful the model was!

Wish it wasn't so damn expensive

Plus with the removal of flyer wings in 9th I can barely get my 4 flyers in as it is :down:

Paint! Paint! Paint! Paint!

Yeah it's gorgeous. I want a Land Speeder Tempest now after building this. Those are the two FW models that I love for marines. I was fortunate to get the Xiphon for $110 and was happy to make the deal since I've wanted the model for a couple years.

Infiltrators are all base coated and ready for brush work. I'm getting more comfortable with pushing the contrast to get a better look on the table. These were primed black, base coated Vallejo Model Color Dark Grey, Zenithaled with VMC Neutral Grey, and then an extreme zenithal of VMC Light Grey. Next batch I think I'll base coat with VMC Black Grey to push the shadows more.

hBARXOOh.jpg

Had to base coat my Infiltrators again because I realized I mixed my recipe up. Fortunately I was able to figure it out today on the first attempt and now they're ready for paint. Contrast is much better now so I'll move on to the recess pin washing next. I'm also considering switching from the black bolter casing to the metallic blue in the second picture. Would love to hear some feedback on that.

XqfrKoMh.jpg

mi7d01Rh.jpg

Having to rebase several of my models. When I first started making bases I was using air dry clay (now using Sculpy). The clay started cracking along the edges, not sure why. But here's my Primaris Ancient holding a new piece of ground.

XLQHN7w.jpg

Today was a slog but I got through the hardest part and the nine infiltrators have their pin washes done along with the first purple wash. It is tedious and I hate doing it but the pin washing really brings the scheme to life and makes it pop. It also doesn't need great lighting so I was able to do them all while watching the kids swim in the pool.

rPmt2o9h.jpg

I've been using Sculpy for a while. It took some figuring out and is a little more finicky in the rolling stage but that's my only complaint. It takes the detail from the pin much better and since it's baked to cure it's tougher. It's slightly flexible after cure so I'm not worried about chipping/cracking as time goes on and I think it will be more durable. I've had the odd base crack with the other clay.

The Xiphon is waiting for priming :biggrin.: I decided to get the Infiltrators done because I only have five Intercessors done and need more primaris troops for the new edition. I'm watching loads of vehicle painting videos because I want to do the model justice. I ran across this blog and have seen where the bar is set: http://www.puttyandpaint.com/projects/21274

I'm trying to figure out how the light should work on the panels because I don't want that 'airbrushed vehicle look' but I do want it so have some dynamism. I'll probably jump into oil weathering on this one as well. I think it's going to turn into a long project. Basecoated and playable, then I'll go back and add details as I learn new techniques.

Edited by thewarriorhunter

Look at the various aircraft model building sites videos and they should be helpful also. I'd Focus on Post VIetnam to Modern Navy aircraft schemes with your main color being light grey. 

Your infiltrators are looking great. 

Look at the various aircraft model building sites videos and they should be helpful also. I'd Focus on Post VIetnam to Modern Navy aircraft schemes with your main color being light grey. 

Your infiltrators are looking great. 

Thanks! I've got a general idea of where I want the blue colors to go, and will probably have a stripe on the wings and possibly one up the nose, offset to one side. I really want to get the shading done right - it's my biggest concern right now.

Wow that's a high standard! Can't wait to see

From my research oil washes are great and seemingly easy to apply

Have you seen some of my IG tanks? I'm with you I don't like the over done shading (super dark recesses and edges and stark contrasting panel highlights) I usually do some modest shading and skip the panel highlight seems to be a good balance for me

I've seen some of your tanks but really should take time to scroll through your while thread.

On a separate note it looks like the Xiphon went down in points and is clocking in at 220. I think I need a second for combat patrols :D

Very excited and have to post: I was able to acquire the Eliminator bits that I want to finish my Ex Tenebris LT conversion. I'm going to combine the arms/rifle of the reloading Eliminator with a Primaris Librarian body (Librarium bits and Psychic hood removed). I love the idea of the LT reloading as he's walking away from his position where he just took out whatever target was being stalked.

Not sure if I want to paint the cloak up as a camo cloak (concerned about WYSIWYG) or if I should just make it the purple I've done for my converted Librarian.

01.jpg

99120101181_PrimarisLibrarian01.jpg