Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

Going to give the 'no sub assemblies' method a shot. I had a few units lying around that I wanted to get done before I crack into Indomitus. This is actually most of my backlog that are whole units. I've got a five man unit of Intercessors but might end up putting their weapons on some Assault Intercessor bodies just to have a squad that's more dynamic looking.

Six Hellblasters (Dark Imperium), three flamer Aggressors (Dawn of Shadows prize), three Suppressors (Shadowspear), and six bases. I obviously need more bases since some of those are for my Infiltrators and I need to get some done for the Suppressors and Aggressors.

I also solved GW flight stands for my infantry. I clipped of the nub on the backpack and the top of the stand to have two flat surfaces. 4x1mm magnets fit perfectly and give me a nice solid hold.

bbJ38ECh.jpg

pVhbLMqh.jpg

That's what I did with the flight stands too

Seems to work

Although I think i might just convert them all to flying over obstacles those stands still suck :lol:

Good luck with the painting should make things quicker I imagine! :tu:

I think the 'flying over obstacles' look works really well for some basing themes. Your concrete barriers were really well done. I don't think my current scheme would look good if I built up a huge pile or rubble so the height was comparative which is why I decided to just bite the bullet on the GW stands. I don't actually mind how they look, it's the small contact point and constant breakage that I was concerned about and I feel like that issue is solved.

Good luck with the "no sub-assemblies" approach. Thinking it over it doesn't look as hard as I thought, but then again, I'd expect myself to make a lot of mistakes I'd have to cover over doing things like the chest aquilas. Maybe I'd make it up in the time saved though. Let us know how it goes!

Magnet approach to the flight stands is interesting. I pinned mine but they broke anyway; I resorted to "welding" the outside of the join with more plastic glue, it's held ok so far. If they break again I may try your route. 

Edited by Alcyon

I like the magnets on flight stands. But I chose the zinge industry crushable barrel route for my inceptors/ suppressors based. But I’ll probably borrow that idea for my land speeders

Interesting you are going no sub assemblies and I’m doing sub assemblies for my newish army. I usually do the no sub assemblies part and my honest opinion I usually will miss spots. Hopefully you are better than me at it. I feel leaving the bare heads weapons and backpacks off is probably the best for line troops and full sub assemblies for important models.

Yeah we'll see how it goes. My plan that I'm going to test on the next set of units is to get the bases completely done, base coat the models with the air brush and get them pinned to the bases. One of my biggest complaints about my process is that I can't play with a unit unless it's 100% completed. This will solve that by letting me use a unit that's painted well enough to get on the table. Since I'm giving this a shot I bought one of the Citadel Paint handles since everyone I talk to raves about them, we'll see how it works when it shows up tomorrow.

I did finish enough bases for my Infiltrators last night and have three left over for the next unit.

45du7Odh.jpg

I'm all over the place! Made a bunch of bases yesterday to cover my Xiphon, 3 Outriders, and a bunch of 32s because marines.

Outriders are done and ready to prime, but I need to pick up more rattle cans before that can happen. My Citadel paint handle arrived today so I'm looking forward to trying that out, my close hobby circle was aghast that I don't use one. They claim I'll be 'seeing the light' or some other Imperium propaganda.

Top Left: I am hoping to make it look like the bike is power sliding and digging up the ground

Top Right: A little elevation, I may actually pin it with the wheel in the air like the bike just sent it

Bottom Left: Nothing special, just not upright.

dJALFYWh.jpg

Nice conversions to the bikes. You accomplished the look on not straight forward and gave each one a nice flow of motion.

Yeah I get the all over the place thing I failed in my paint Thursday to sat/ Sun routine. But built marines from Indomitus.

Paint handle, imho.... so I bought one a while back as I’ll give gw a try on this and won’t like and wast my money.......WRONG! I freaking love them. When they released the 5 pack I bought them to give me a total 6 and first chance I got when IO opened after the first round of store closures, I bought the Dreadnought size one. It’s ok but I think it was cause my Dreadnought was magnetized and torso was not solid. Don’t have the one with arms

Edge highlighting Infiltrators is moving along but very tedious. Every time I set down to paint I'm reminded why I don't like working on more that a few models at a time but... progress is being made. I decided to take a break today and get the bases for my Aggressors done as they'll be the next models that I work on.

F0WkoQuh.jpg

The light at the end of the tunnel has appeared. Edge highlighting on the armor is done. I've felt like for the last two weeks I've made zero progress on them, but finishing the last of the second highlight layer last night put everything into 'this is almost done' perspective. I still have a few things left like eyes, purity seals, a few heads, weapons, and pouch highlights. A few more nights of work to be sure, but this gets me to three units of Primaris Troop choices which is something I've been wanting to have for a while.

Also found a little tray that I can put WIP stuff on that fits in my desk cubby, so when not in use it's easy to set aside where it's protected and ready for the next hobby session.

bbqJvxdh.jpg

n8i0Uu3h.jpg

Real life has been slowing down progress more than usual. We're painting our interior and upgrading all the hardware and the master bath has turned into a complete remodel. I almost have the shower put back together though, so progress on all fronts.

Four of my Infiltrators are 99% done. I thought they were 100% but after snapping the photo I realized I need to highlight the holsters and pouches. I tried weathering their weapons because the final look in my head for this army is that it's a little beat up, as if it is in the midst of a fight. I like the direction I'm going to need to refine my techniques and possibly get some better silvers/metallics for the chipping on the bolters. I might have to look into Scale 75 as I've heard they're wonderful to use.

31xWm5lh.jpg

hfztWMph.jpg

Loving the progress, as always. I haven't touched a model (or a brush) in over 6 months, but looking at your work is giving me the itch.

Specifically, I'm not sure what changed in your blue/highlight work, but the more wet blended look is excellent. This guy (and his shoulder pad blend) in particular is stunning:

ePTZ5C5.png

Thanks a lot, Vyper. I made a lot of changes to my scheme with this squad, I think I detailed it a few pages back but the Helix Adept for this unit was the test. I wanted to get more contrast and and have better 'lighting' show in my painting. Before I was trying to be cheeky and have my blues be reverse highlighted, I started light and went dark with highlights and it just didn't work.

New method is more traditional and starts dark and works up which gives a more natural look. I base coat in a blue that's 50/50 Dark Prussian Blue/Turquoise, then wash with Army Painter's Purple all over and do a second pass along the recess. After that I dry brush with Turquoise and then do another dry brush with 50/50 Turquoise/Blue Green. I jokingly call it 'precision dry brushing' because I use a smaller brush and slowly build up the area that I want to be brighter instead of hitting the entire pad.

You can see what I'm trying to get with this picture. The tops of the pads are where I built up the lighter colors with the dry brush while leaving the undersides darker. There's room to improve but I'm liking the direction I'm going.

s2lTJxwh.jpg

Feedback solicitation request: what color should the smoke be? I was thinking of something purple-ish since that's my spot color but am not sure. I was thinking I could go dark with some blacks worked in or the other way with whites worked in, but maybe I should go for a different color entirely? I could also just go for a monochrome black/grey but am not really sure.

CPRDyKch.jpg

I would go with either Neon Green, yellow or orange smoke. just to give a variant color not normally used on your models. 

No smoke was painted tonight but I did get to apply some of my chapter icon decals and I AM SO FREAKING STOKED! I'm very happy with how they turned out. Micro set/sol are amazing and I will never apply decals without them. I was telling duz - try wrapping a piece of paper smoothly over your knee when it's bent, impossible. The decals looked like that but after applying a few coats of micro set/sol they conformed and you can't see the edges at all.

a7fGAIKh.jpg