Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

I made a very poor decision recently which has really hampered my hobby progress: purchased Breath of the Wild. Been putting way too many hours into that game but man is it good. I cut my teeth on Zelda games staring on the NES and I even had the gold Ocarina of Time cartridge for my N64. All that being said I have made some small progress.

Bought a few Scale 75 paints to try out. I want to see if they make weathering my bolters look better than my Vallejo colors and I've only heard rave reviews of their metallic colors. Decided my Inceptors were taking a Purple Power bath and stripped them so I can paint them up as Sicarii because I love them and won't ever run them as Raven Guard. I finished the blues on my jump captain and need to clean up some other details. Not sure how I want to paint the Relic chainblade or thunder hammer.

4hMfqQjh.jpg

And we're done! glued them up and let them sit while I did some work around the house. For all of them I did use some clamps and rubber bands to keep everything nice and snug while the glue dried. There was minimal bowing and I wanted everything to be as square as possible.

The mini organizer went together really well. I plan on dedicating that to decals and 'junk' brushes that I use for dry brushing or decal applications.

The larger organizer is great, but it required some work. The slots for the stands were so tight that I actually had to get my dremel and widen every opening so it would fit together. I also had to do the same to the shelves. It was about 10 minutes of work so not a huge deal, but if I hadn't had the dremel it would have taken a lot longer to file.

Paint racks are great. They were a little fiddly to put together because I had to put the shelves in one side, then try and line them up with the opposite side to fit into their slots. Took me a couple minutes to figure out the best way to tackle it but after the first one the other two went together in about 10 minutes each.

This is the first bit of MDF stuff I've ever worked with and overall I'd say it's an 8 out of 10. No instructions were provided but they were pretty straightforward to assemble. I'm really happy with how sturdy they seem and having all of my paints at hand is really nice. I was keeping my 'project' paints in a sandwich container but now having them in a line with the organizer is a nice convenience.

e7qozFGh.jpg

TV6FxNWh.jpg

CcRA44Vh.jpg

Was able to get the head of my thunderhammer painted up this morning and am happy with it. First attempt is the upper left picture and I didn't like it. Spent ~30 minutes stippling and layering white/purple/black inks and am happy with the results. I have a game of KT tomorrow and Sir Smashalot is 90% done so I'll run him as a Jump Pack Veteran.

hP0oxpQh.jpg

Captain smashalot is ready for action tonight. He's ~90% done. I need to clean up the shield, finish the hammer and jump pack, and then decals but he's usable on the table. Arms and jump pack are magnetized so I can run him with different loadouts if I want depending on how I want to use him. He'll be run as an VV Sgt in tonight's Kill Team game.

BP8j6leh.jpg

Had a great game of Kill Team last night and did a quick write up in the 'What have your Raven Guard done thread': http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/332882-what-have-your-raven-guard-done-lately/?p=5602748

Also rehomed some bugs for a new Kill Team so at some point I might be popping up over in the Xenos section...

8g4pxJ2h.jpg

Yeah I have no idea what I'm doing with the bugs. I am looking over their weapon's stats, probably will end up magnetizing the warriors. I got four termagaunts as well so I should be able to have some variety in my KT. I really want to build them to just rush forward and eat. We tend to play elites and 3 warriors and 12 hormagaunts is 108 base points so I can throw upgrades on all of them. Not in a hurry to get them done and I want to do a synthwave scheme so I need to figure out how to do that on them.

I got started on the nids last night. They are more appealing than marines right now so I'm going to be working on them for a bit. I won't be posting them here but if anyone wants to follow along my xenos WIP thread is here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/366574-hive-fleet-vapor/?p=5606171

Last night I got a couple test models undercoated. I'm going to be following Dana Howl's techniques for painting these:

JDthhZTh.jpg

Have a 1k game tonight so I finished assembling the terrain from the Imperial Sector box. It was a big box with LOTS of sprues. Luckily I had cleaned it all up a couple months ago so last night was just dry fitting, vague planning, and glue. Between that and the Sector Santoris Killzone I think I've got enough terrain for Combat Patrol/Incursion games. If I want to have larger games I'll definitely need more terrain. It also makes a very nice, dense, multilevel Kill Team board. All the floors are modular (for now) so I can configure a bunch of different ways. If I get another box or two of terrain I might make some of the multi buildings permanent.

Kill Team:

juCkiJxh.jpg

Incursion:

qy354YAh.jpg

uTvjw2hh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Had a great game of Kill Team this week with the bugs. They've been a lot of fun to paint. I know I said I wouldn't post them but I figured one more to let you all know I'm around and show off the scheme that I'm very happy with :biggrin.:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/366574-hive-fleet-vapor/?p=5618257

fNgJb3xh.jpg

Well I've run out of Nids to build for the time being and I don't have any desire to work on marines right now so here we are:

8PvCamlh.jpg

This is a leftover knight from the renegade box. I sold off the other one a year ago along with the weapon sprue. I figured I'd just track this here since I don't plan on starting a knight army and if I ever to run the knight it will be alongside my Sicarii. It'll most likely be a one off so I'm thinking up a freeblade backstory but... knowing me I'll probably come up with lore for a whole house :biggrin.:

I'm building the right leg stock so I could see how it all went together but am planning on hacking up the left leg to repose it. It'll probably end up similar to my contemptor. I may end up just turning this into a diorama as well... who knows? I think I'm going to ultimately make this knight look super beat up and weathered with chains and other stuff all over it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hobby ADD is real right now.

From Kill Team Terrain to Nids to a 30k diorama and now back to my Sicarii. I've recently become very enthralled with Blitz Bowl and picked up both Seasons over the weekend. My human team has the same base colors as my marines so while priming them I figured I might as well get some more Sicarii troops painted up. Supressors, Eradicators, and Flamestorm Agressors are all base coated now and ready for next steps. I ran out of the initial grey in my air brush hopper for the first layer so one aggressor didn't get to join the party. I'm not too concerned because IF I play a game and want to run them I'll just proxy another 40mm base model. Not sure when I'll get to the next steps on these but at least I'll have them ready.

gd6jzPqh.jpg

(PS: If you like Blitz Bowl or are Blitz Bowl curious DM me and we can play on TTS)

• 1 month later...

Over a month without any 40k hobby? Crazy! I've mostly been focusing on Blitz Bowl though so the brushes have not been dry. I do have some 40k progress now: terrain. One of the Patreon groups I'm in did a Secret Santa and I got a pretty sweet haul. I asked for 'hobby stuff' because I didn't need more models right now. Ended up with a bigger cutting mat, the Minitair Ghost Tint line, some pigments, and a bunch of really sweet MDF terrain. It's by Every Little War from their Promethium line. I really like it because it uses 12oz aluminum cans so a bit of recycling. The kits are reasonably priced also since not as much MDF is being used. I'll probably pick up some more so I can integrate this in with my other stuff and maybe have a whole table's worth.

These are really great LOS blocking pieces. I'm planning to add some greenstuff cables and plastic rods to add some piping/tubing details and help break up a lot of the flat surfaces.

TrjSLJIh.jpg

sr3Il5Yh.jpg

RVVbgpbh.jpg

2wi9fbfh.jpg

Neat

I was aware of those kits but never really them beyond the Web store

Added benefit of them being aluminium (yes the correct way to spell it ;) :P ) is that you could easily model some battle damage to them with a centre punch or something similar (watch out for sharp edges I guess?)

Sounds like a decent secret Santa what did u get your ss?

So I spelled it that way the first time and spellcheck told me 'no!', lol. I thought about the battle damage and I might do that to try it out. have some stuff oozing out of them and use those weathering pigments/powders I got.

Mine giftee was a bunch of hobby stuff as well. They asked for some brushes and paints so I got them the Army Painter wash line, a set of Vallejo metallic paints, and a bunch of brushes. They wanted Necron models but most of what they wanted was out of stock and the shipping address was an APO so I went for what I could find that would arrive before Christmas.

Finished the can terrain last night. It fills out a Kill Team board nicely. They have some other kits that help fill this out like walkways and stairs that I might pick up in the future. Throw some scatter terrain around and this will be a great table to play on.

6BaEa70h.jpg