Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

Tangental Hobby Progress update.  We started painting the house in May but I've had to put off doing my office since I WFH and it would have to be torn apart for a few days. I had last week off for the company holiday shutdown and was finally able to tackle my office's facelift. Got the whole thing painted, new blinds installed, got rid of some old furniture and added some shelves into the closet for more storage. The closet shelves are the best thing because a bookshelf was thing we got rid of so I now have room for a display cabinet. Moved my desk to provide more room and everything is just easier to get too now.

The discerning eye might see that there's an AI box with my 40k stuff. I got a stupid good deal on it so tiny planes are somewhere in my future now. :D

aemmtMhh.jpg

Hz2uMnBh.jpg

W7WoajTh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well for the first time in a couple months I finally put paint on a marine. Have painted some Blitz Bowl teams and got my tiny planes primed but up until this weekend I've not had the desire to touch my marines. It wasn't much since I had just finished working on some BzB models but I got a base layer for skin on an infiltrator and started working on a base for my converted Librarian. He needs a new one because his was one of the first I did and I was using air dry clay then. It's started cracking and looks pretty bad.

HQNnNLkh.jpg

Really happy with today's progress. I finished the head on the aforpictured marine and also worked on the head for the Sgt. I am really happy with how the faces came out and glad that I finally decided to give painting skin/faces a shot.

kJ7rL4Ph.jpg

Progress! I think this is the fastest I've ever painted any models. I'm really trying to care less about perfection and lean into getting it 'good enough' because I'm planning to start adding weathering to my models. That will hide a lot of imperfect edge highlights or rough transitions. They need another blue highlight, the weapons are washed but need highlighting and weathering (first thing I decided to practice on), and the helmets need a bit of work.

tlt5bHI.jpg

Hoping to have these wrapped up tomorrow since I'm off work. I'm going to try something new with the guns which is to only weather them and not do any edge highlighting. I think if I 'chip' enough edges that will sell the effect and save me a step of edge highlighting everything and then going back and weathering.

Question: Not really sure how I want to handle the cross on the left wrist. It's a 'veteran' thing from Indomitous but I'm struggling. I was going to paint it the same color as the chest emblems but with a base coat it feels to 'samey'. Not sure if I should just do it anyways or consider a spot color on it. Any thoughts?

Gr8etW6h.jpg

Edited by thewarriorhunter

Done! Fastest I've ever painted a squad up. I decided that 'less is more' with the veteran symbols and went for my edge highlight color of Silvergrey. I think that was the right call. They stand out without being bright or distracting. I got some varnish to try through my airbrush so after I run that on a test model I'll get these sealed up.

MfWRf7Nh.jpg

8bbECYph.jpg

0v2JWONh.jpg

DiV0bbJh.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the chaos but Saturday night I tried varnishing with my airbrush and it was amazing. I've used Dullcoat up until now but a recommendation in one of my Discords led to be Vallejo's Matte Varnish 26.518. I was able to varnish ~40 models in a couple hours. So much faster than Dullcoat, and cheaper as well. It probably would have taken me two cans of Dullcoat to do that many models, maybe a little less time with going in and out, etc. The bottle was ~$10 and I barely used any of it. I'm planning on picking up the Gloss 26.517 to spray on the models before I decal and to provide an extra bit of paint protection.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a marine update but a terrain update. I have discovered the world of TinkerTurf and am SOLD hard. I bought a couple sets off a guy who got way too much during their kickstarter and oh baby, swoon. This stuff assembles well, looks good, and doesn't need paint. It's not even close to being on par with GW terrain but I think the fact that it's pre-printed, goes together fast, and costs lest is a fair enough trade off for me. I'm in on their current kickstarter as well and can't wait to get it all on a table.

6wbi2iLh.jpg