Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

Youre making me want to start a custom chapter ... :ermm:

When I first started the hobby I really wanted to make a custom chapter but I felt really overwhelmed. I was worried that I would screw it up because I didn't know enough about the lore and game.

A couple years later I wish I would have started sooner but oh well. I'm glad I've started now and I'm looking forward to the story I'm going to get to tell.

Body is completely done! Very stoked. I mocked up a couple of fins to get a better idea of how it looked. I LOVE this scheme on a vehicle... I need a Stormbird now...

seb4qmN.jpg

nxf13yz.jpg

yWMFaj2.jpg

After looking at the finished body and fins I with I would have painted the engine mount on the bottom blue. I'm not terribly worried about it since that will rarely be seen except when I'm showing the model to someone.

The harnesses and center console are next, then the top engine and weapons. The weapons are magnetized so I'll do those last so I can glue this up when I have the rest done. I'm heading over to the hobby store tomorrow to pick up some varnish. I've been sealing the pieces up once they're done to help protect them since this scheme shows every blemish very easily.

Got some work put in on the console. Steel details were added and a wash was applied. I was trying to figure out what color to paint the lights and settled on the silvergray highlight I use for my armor. I felt yellow would be too garish and no other colors really made sense. I briefly thought about red but felt it would look out of place since I'm not planning on doing any OSL.

Screens are next and I think this will be done. I'm not planning on putting a ton of work into it because I want the interior to be muted and not take away from the drop pod as a hole. I may do a few buttons up in red/blue but I don't think I'll do more beyond that.

QXcJXBJ.jpg

Had an epiphany that made me very happy this morning and it all revolves around the Betrayal at Calth game I bought to get my army started. I've played the first couple missions and the game is fun, however I was not sure how I should go about painting up the game. I toyed with painting the entire thing as UM and WB to get the full experience but was dreading painting more cataphractii, and not being able to use my contemptor for my RG was upsetting because I like the model but it would need to be WB.

I realized today I can still play the game but it will be Raven Guard Vs Spectral Sicarii. I enough RG painted up for that half of the box. I do need to make one guy have the banner on his backpack (vexilla?) and I'd like to do up a proper 30k captain with the plume so there are 'technically' two more models to paint.

I need to paint up 20 tacticals for my Spectral Sicarii and then I can paint up my dreadnought as well as the chaplain and then I'll have the box set done! The other benefit to the 20 tacs is that I'll have units to put into the Drop Pod I'm working on.

The downside is the basing won't match but there's not much I can do about that. I'm not about to rebase my RG so unfortunately I'll have to deal with it. I don't think it will detract from the overall game too much though so I'm not worried.

Got more work done on the harnesses and made some decorations for the tree with the kiddos. I also decided to start working on a jump captain. I saw a really awesome conversion on one of my FB groups where they used Cataphracti legs. After looking at it closely I think I can emulate it. I'll magnetize the arms to be able to swap out arms and use him as a counts-as Shrike or a regular captain.

DYVNTMT.jpg

They were all about creativity and Minecraft. I made a humble shoulder pad:

4ZXgOs7.jpg

I also had another thought about Chapter Tactics after reading the Chapter Approved thread which leads to a question: Raptors and RG are the same except for Shrike/Lias Issodon? I'm wondering if I don't play with an Issodon character at times just to mix it up and get the drop bomb. I've never done anything like that and it might be fun.

Sadly Lias doesn't trust Primaris :sad.:

Where did you see this?

I was going to ask that. Real Life I can see GW saying all existing chapters accept Primaris so that they can sell them. Lore wise I can see one or two being standoffish.

TWH - what's that purple thing in the right side of the pic?

That's a Dark Heart minion from the game Stuffed Fables. We bought the game for my kids as a Christmas gift and I'm trying to get it all painted up for them before they unwrap it. Currently I've got all 6 heroes done, the Crawlies (minion), and the Mongrels (minion). The Dark Hearts are currently WIP and then I have the 5 villains (bosses) to paint up. It'll be close, but even if I don't get the bosses done I should at least be able to get the first scenario guy done so we can play with all painted models. Progress on my Marines has been slower because I'm putting time into the board game.

It's not 40k but here are the mongrels all finished up. Based coated with Blue Gray and then washed twice with Secret Weapon Miniature washes. Just washed, no highlights or dry brushing. I'm pretty pleased with how they came out. When I do my admech kill team I might look into this style for them. I really like it:

WWOlckU.jpg

Getting back to 40k I was trying to figure out how to wash the drop pod harnesses without getting it all over my fingers, or putting prints onto the plastic. I remember I had a bunch of gator clips when I made my static grass applicator. I cut down a piece of scrap wood and drilled a bunch of holes in it. A little wire and pinched clips later and I've got a nice stand for small parts.

RjsRBES.jpg

Sadly Lias doesn't trust Primaris :(

Where did you see this?
Check the Raptor’s main man’s Master of Ambush rule. Apparently Issodon isn’t too fond of anything with big feet because Terminators, Centurions, and Primaris are not allowed to ride in Lias’s party bus.

:(

Edited by Inquisitor Dracos

Saw a converted model and had to attempt a copy. I think did alright. This will be a jump captain for my SS. He stands almost as tall as an Intercessor so he should fit it with his larger brethren. I'll magnetize his arms for different options. Most likely I'll run him as a jump captain with claws and Silent Stalker or he'll be my Counts-As Shrike.

I'm also not sure if I'm going to use the winged helms for my jump troops and Sgts/Captains. I'm leaning towards not using them since I want some clear separation between the SS and the RG.

1Agx37v.jpg

V79W3iu.jpg

1PBBd5X.jpg