Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

Because I'm an uberdork and think I can be a writer I've been tossing an idea around to write a narrative for my force. Any interest in reading something like that? I'm also not sure if I should add it to this thread or put it in the 'write-your-own-story' part of the forums. If I did the latter I thought it would be neat to add links to this thread when certain units are brought into the narrative.

I'm thinking of starting the story with what I have completed right now in this thread and as new units are added here they get brought into the narrative that I right.

For example my tac, assault, and scout squads would be on the ground already. Then the inceptors arrive followed by my terminators that were just done. Now that the devastators are being finished up they would be written in as well. I thought that might make a slow buildup in the story kind of cool to follow the real world progress that I'm making.

I'm loving the step by step blog-style progress. Very motivating! :thumbsup:

edit: Just saw your post about writing. I would say you definitely should post it here, but you could ALSO post it in the Liber forum. You would probably want a separate thread for the writing in this forum, but I am sure it could be both (I have seen creative plogs that do both, so that should be fine). I would definitely link this thread in the Liber thread so folks can see your models (if you Liber thread is just the fiction anyway)

Good stuff!

Edited by ltvyper

Bases are painted and ready for the final details. I'll add grasses and rocks and then water effects and they'll be done.

Two shots with a different background to show different colors differently...yeah...

3n76z5r.jpg

ENBJ2jU.jpg

Definitely feel free to post your fluff in here! A lot of members include it in their WiPs. Some make each update a fluff piece in fact. ;)

You could post it as you finish and also update your initial post with it too for quick reference. Looking forward to seeing what you pen! :D

I've been tossing ideas around in my head while working on my models. We'll see what I come up with. I know anything I do write will be simple and straightforward but I think it would be fun to add in.

In the mean time I've finished the bases for my devastator squad. I do still need to clean up the edges but I was too excited to take pictures before I did that.

I've also put an album together than has a whole tutorial on how to do what I did: https://imgur.com/a/bBvDn

LG1Kif5.jpg

2pib0Bv.jpg

9v7vOrr.jpg

And here's the mostly complete squad on them. Armless guys in the back will have Plasma Canons once they're done being painted. I took a break from painting guys to work on these bases.

ub0nQms.jpg

4gZ8tSV.jpg

zxMPzFV.jpg

Got the base silver done and the final wash. Now it's on to highlighting edges and other small details for the Plasma Cannons. After looking at them I'm thinking I need to add a little more silver to the receiver... it's a lot of black and I think it might look better if it was broken up a little more and not so monotone... thoughts?

qsZePsg.jpg

I also saw an awesome Lias model for sale in a FB group. While I'm not going to buy the model I really really really liked how they did the camo on his cloak. The seller was nice enough to give me the pattern he worked from and his recipe so I am going to try and emulate that. After this squad I'm going to work on some bolter scouts. I think I'll try to make them some cloaks from green stuff and paint this pattern. If it doesn't come out well I can always make new cloaks and I'll be able to field the models without them so I don't have to worry about being held up.

lvtnojh.jpg

DUtm2Zs.jpg

uNmtYtF.jpg

I think it also really helps that the base on this model is similar to mine so I think this pattern should fit right in.

Here's the current pattern on my sniper scouts:

Vp3GboR.jpg

Starting to look finished! I'm actually really close. I need to do the edge highlights on the black and finish the arms. There's white that needs to go on the ravens and then I can assemble them. Very excited. I wanted to push through and finish but I know my limits and I was just at the point of being frustrated (kids coming in and out, TV noise, etc). Better to pack up and work again at a later time when I'm fresh and ready to get the brush dirty.

TXTIJEa.jpg

Plasma Cannons are done! I can now field a fully painted dev squad :biggrin.:

What I'm planning on doing is painting up one more heavy bolter and missile launcher. Then I can run two squads, one ML x 2, LC x 2, and the second 2 heavy bolter and two plasma cannons. The first can deploy deep and the second can deploy a little closer or SFTS into an opportune spot. If I can get them both 11-12 inches apart and plant Shrike/captain/LT in the middle they all benefit from rerolls and hopefully be a source of many wounds.

LGHJCtq.jpg

q4Qqp0n.jpg

wCcv1qT.jpg

hrm... i told myself no more purchases until I get more stuff painted but I just found a Shrike model brand new in the blister. I'm not a fan of the model but it is THE Shrike model...

I also think I'm finally going to take the plunge and get an airbrush so I can start painting vehicles. I've spoken to several people I know who are phenomenal painters and they've steered me towards the badger patriot and compressor. I can pick up the compressor at Michael's when they run a 60% off coupon and get it cheaper than anywhere else. The airbrush I'll probably wait to pick up until after I get the compressor.

I'll have to be patient and realistically might not get the whole setup until early next year.

Thats the way to do it!

They just had a 60% discount on the weekend I believe!
Also watch out on Amazon, I scored mine when they randomly had 40% off which beats the 60% of Michaels ;)

Certainly helps for vehicles! And getting base coats down on other models!

Watch some youtube videos, I like the OrcPainterNerd (?) the long war guys have some... they're painful but some nuggets in there.

Theres a couple of threads in the Forge on airbrushing that might help too :D

Yeah I'm looking forward to being able to prime regardless of the weather. I'm also looking forward to being able to shade large flat areas. I'll probably still do a lot of brushing on infantry since that's what I've done and I want my units to look consistent.

I've read a lot of people say to start on paper/cardboard. Practice spraying so you can get used to the action on the brush, try different pressures, make a consistent straight line, etc.

I actually just bought my trio of badger primers for that exact purpose too! (Apparently theyre the bees knees) Spraying outside here is near impossible most times of the year!

Yeh I tried that for a little ... maybe an hr or so then got bored. Was a good opportunity to learn how to clean the brush though. Definitely watch some of those videos for tips.

Best way to learn is on models though. Maybe start out on the bottom of a rhino though. ;)

Ps apparently grey primer is the best option if you want to use an airbrush to max potential an use various techniques. Annoyingly it seems getting fancy whilst painting predominantly blast is kinda tricky.

That's one of the reasons I want the brush. Painting black is tough since it's on the far end of the spectrum. I don't plan on going crazy. I think black panels but using a dark grey on all the edges will really help to make the modes pop. We'll see. I watch videos off and on. As I get closer to purchase I'll start watching a lot more.

I put together a list today on a break at work. I want to keep my games around 50-75 PL/ 1,000 - 1,500 points. They're big enough to have multiple units but not so big that I get overwhelmed since I can't play as often as I like. I'm still a little slow with decisions because some things aren't automatic given my limited playtime.

This is not a 'beat face' list by any means. It's mostly made up of what I have that's playable and painted.

Thoughts are keep Shrike and LT in reserve. SFTS short range dev squad and terminators (want to try the strategy on them based off the terminator thread) and maybe the assault squad so they can actually do something.

Scouts will sit back and hopefully dish out mortal wounds. Tac squads will slog it to wherever they need to be and hopefully be distraction units/speed bumps (next unit I'm painting will be my bolter scouts).

Shrike and LT will come in turn 1 and plant himself in between the to devs to give them rerolls. If the board works out the LT will give aura to short range dev squad then move up with the assault squad.

Land Speeder storm is in the list because i've used it a couple times and I love it's mobility. I could drop that and put a rhino in the list instead so the tacs could move around more but the LST puts out way more shots.

Thoughts?

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [77 PL, 1307pts] ++

+ HQ +

Kayvaan Shrike

Lieutenants

. Lieutenant: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Jump Pack, Teeth of Terra

+ Troops +

Scout Squad: 5x Camo cloak

. Scout Sergeant: Boltgun, Sniper rifle

. 4x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 4x Sniper rifle

Tactical Squad

. 4x Space Marine

. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Power sword

Tactical Squad

. 4x Space Marine

. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

+ Elites +

Cataphractii Terminator Squad

. Cataphractii Sergeant: Combi-bolter, Grenade harness, Power sword

. Cataphractii Terminator: Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw

. Cataphractii Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power fist

. Cataphractii Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power fist

. Cataphractii Terminator: Chainfist, Combi-bolter

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad

. 4x Space Marine

. Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Plasma pistol

Inceptor Squad: Assault bolter, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad

. Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun, Chainsword

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher

Devastator Squad

. Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun, Chainsword

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Plasma cannon

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Plasma cannon

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

+ Dedicated Transport +

Land Speeder Storm: Cerberus launcher, Heavy bolter

Id try and squeeze in another unit of scouts for area denial

Looks like a good balanced list

I liked 1500pts at the beginning of 8th and most of 7th. Now I've the hang of things I don't mind playing 2000pts. Its certainly faster than 7th. I still like the list building restrictions 1500 imposes though.

I only have the one unit of sniper scouts done. I have bolter scouts built (mostly, I'm still debating on magnetizing them so I can go between bolter or CC, but the models don't make it easy). I will be working on them next and getting them painted so I can have more area denial in my lists. Plus a unit of scouts is cheaper than a tac squad so I can squeeze more into my list in other areas once I get them done and playable.

I can't really think of a time when shotguns trump boltguns... If I'm going to advance and shoot with shotguns I still can't charge, and then I'm closer to the enemy for them to get me. A boltgun seems to make more sense since most likely they'll be in rapid fire range in the same range band as when the shotgun would shine.

Also since I'm raven guard I think assault squads or VV make more sense for CC units, not scouts who only have a 4+. I think boltgun scouts with camo cloaks in ruins are the way to go.

Side note: What color are our LT helmets supposed to be? Sgts/captains are white... is an LT white with black striping? I thought I saw a picture in one of my books at one point but I cannot find it anywhere now.

Edited by thewarriorhunter