Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

I really enjoyed that Battle Report - well done!

To echo Race's sentiments, if you like a unit, use it. The Cataphractii are cool so keep them! When I used Terminators (Tartaros), I had the most success using SftS to get them on/near a midfield objective. Sticking them in cover really helped too. They are then a massive pain to shift.

I really enjoyed that Battle Report - well done!

To echo Race's sentiments, if you like a unit, use it. The Cataphractii are cool so keep them! When I used Terminators (Tartaros), I had the most success using SftS to get them on/near a midfield objective. Sticking them in cover really helped too. They are then a massive pain to shift.

Thanks, and I think next time I run my termies that's what I'll do.

The last two times I've used them:

First time they Deep Struck in, killed a couple things, failed their charge, got shot off the board.

Second time I used SFtS so they could move. They moved, shot the HQ, charged, assaulted, then got shot up after the HQ fell back and the Necron destroyers targeted them.

I think the next time I run them I'll look at the board/mission and either use SFtS to get them into cover near an objective or save the CP and DS them onto what I need. I love them and they put out a lot of bolter shots but they die so easily and are really slow. If I don't get them into position almost immediately they'll be useless. I can see them being a really good anti-blob unit but I haven't had the chance to play anything like that yet so I don't know for sure.

How does using FW work now with detachments? Seeing MajorNese's thread and his Land Speeder Temptests has renewed my interests in them. I love the idea of running then as counts-as storm talons/hawks or running them as a land speeder.

Can I stick it into my list as a fast attack slot in a regular detachment or does it get left out on it's own because FW?

What's the opinion on Reivers right now? A local guy has a lot for sale that includes a box of them mostly on sprue. It's got a jump chaplain and a lord executioner and I'd like those models for fluff/HQs as well as another set of DI HQs (might flip those, don't know if I need another set of them).

I think they are a great support unit, especially if your playng primarily Primaris ... for other Soace Marine Chapters. For a dedicated Raven Guard player a lot depends on how they fit into your game plan and how you decide to balance your 50/50 PL issues.

Well I went ahead and bought them.

For 70 bucks I got (all new)

10 man Revier squad, 3 built, rest on sprue

Jump pack chaplain model

Lord Executioner

Garran Brannatar (deathwatch dude)

Open War Deck

Blood Angels cards

DI HQs

DI Inceptors

3 copies of the core rules reference sheets

I'm selling the cards and DW guy, and I'll try to sell the rules since I've seen sold listings on ebay. Flipping that stuff should hopefully net me about $30 which means I got a lot of stuff for an even better price.

• 1 month later...

Well, after lots of 3d printing, working on my Cult of the Possessed Mordheim warband, and starting to paint up some Word Bearers for the Calth game I'm back to some RG.

There is a narrative Space Hulk event coming up that I am planning on attending. I missed last year but heard it was amazing and am stoked to go this year. I plan on running my cataphractii squad along with a Sgt. in cataphractii armor. I need to paint up the HQ as well as two heavy flamers for the squad. I'm excited to get back to painting up some RG and posting progress photos as I go.

Codex load outs don't apply for this event so I'm planning on the following load out:

Veteran Sgt:

Combi-bolter/melta

Chain Fist

Veteran Squad:

Heavy Flamer, Power Fist

Heavy Flamer, Power Fist

Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw

Combi-Bolter, Chain Fist

Combi-Bolter, Chain Fist

OK so I lied, I won't be running two flamers (Have to paint up the second as Ultras since I'm going to complete the Calth box), and I goofed and the leader is not a Sgt but a Captain... it's been too long since I've used him in a list! I've got everything ready to be primed this weekend so I can get started on it.

For those that have played space hulk: should I keep one terminator with two lighting claws? I'm wondering if having the extra rerollable attack in CC would be a good thing? I'm sure there will be lots of CC and losing one set of shots might be worth the extra CC attacks.

++ Unbound Army (Faction) (Imperium - Space Marines) ++

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

Gametype: Narrative

+ HQ +

Captain in Cataphractii Armor: Chainfist, Combi-melta

+ Elites +

Cataphractii Terminator Squad
. Cataphractii Sergeant: Combi-bolter, Grenade harness, Power sword
. Cataphractii Terminator: Chainfist, Combi-bolter
. Cataphractii Terminator: Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw
. Cataphractii Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power fist
. Cataphractii Terminator w/Heavy Flamer: Heavy flamer, Power fist

LCs are really handy to get rid of chaff which thunder hammers can struggle with due no bonus attack -1 to hit and no wound re-roll.

Im considering adding some to my TH/SS termies for that reason.

Good to know. I may be painting up a second LC to pair with the one already done. If I run the termies in a regular 40k I always run them with combi-bolters because they need to shoot something and rarely get into CC before they're deleted from the table. I think from a narrative perspective it would make sense to have a melee focused unit since CQC in a confined space is all but guaranteed in an abandoned ship.

I really like the of a narrative Space Hulk event....hmmm I might have too look into this more.

Alright, enough talk, time to post some WIP pics. I am excited to get back to some 40k stuff, even though I do have one very tedious task ahead of me...

Here's most everything on my workbench right now. I've got four Word Bearers that I'm finishing up but they're on hold until I get my Mordheim Warband further along.

Hidden Content
8KXTl3O.jpg

Left rear corks are the pieces of my Captain that aren't primed. In front is a Cataphractii that I pulled so I can use it as reference during painting. I've got two models that will be my Possessed for MH in with the bunch because 1) Race digs MH and 2) I want to prime them at the same time. Take note of the two large shoulder pads in the very front... Because GW gives you so many options but not enough sets of shoulder pads in the cataphractii box (HUGE annoyance to me) I ended up casting most of my own in Milliput. I'll do a quick tutorial on that when I get there.

Here's a close up in bad lighting of my Sgt. He needs a pad on his left arm and I wanted to show him off:

Hidden Content
aCXHb5P.jpg

Here's a close up of an unpainted pad I cast. I used the RG brass etch during casting to get the RG symbol onto the soulders. Annoying to do, but the rule of cool forced me to do it. Also is a head from Anvil Industries. I use these on all my jump pack units and Sgts/Captains. I had to file the wings off the right side so it will fit in the torso of the captain. I've test fitted and it fits great and you'd never know unless I told you:

Hidden Content
gbGmeeb.jpg

And lastly because I think Race will let me get away (don't report me!) with the occasional plug, my Magister and two Possessed models I'm currently working on:

Hidden Content
KKBqQSH.jpg

EDIT: Typo

Edited by thewarriorhunter

So I'm a masochist and decided I needed to cast more shoulder pads because I have to have all the options available to me... even though I'll probably never use them all :rolleyes: I broke out the blue stuff last night and made a couple casts of the large cataphractii shoulder pads so I can add them to the models that need them.

Firstly the blue stuff is awesome. It's a reusable material that you can mold into whatever you want after heating it up in hot water for a couple minutes. Link to the product is here: http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/reusable-blue-stuff/8-blue-stuff-mold-8-bars.html?search_query=blue+stuff&results=27

Here's what you need. Pot of water, spoon, pieces to mold, and blue stuff. I have a bunch of small pieces from the last time I was casting and I wanted to combine them into a couple large pieces for storage.

Hidden Content
CkPZ0p2.jpg

Here's a close up of them:

Hidden Content
mXCR9qq.jpg

Just drop them into a pot of water and after a minute or two (depends on how large the piece is) they're usable.

Hidden Content
Z9y6KjT.jpg

I had more blue stuff that wasn't pictured. I took that and the small pieces and combined them into four large chunks. This way it's easier to work with down the road. The two small pieces on the right are the molds:

Hidden Content
WwT1FeW.jpg

Here's the molds that are done. I take a small amount of the blue stuff and use it to cover the top part of the pad. In my experience having that be the primary piece results in less breaking/cracking of the clay when I'm done with it. After the top part of the mold has cooled I'll take more blue stuff and shove it into the bottom of the pad and leave a little bit sticking off so my fingers having something to grip. You can see the impressions on the far left piece, it picks up details very well. When I first got the blue stuff I stuck it over an old stick of RAM at work and it picked up all of the BUS channels and circuitry on the board with impressive quality.

Hidden Content
m9D4IEP.jpg

If you want to get into mass production you can make several molds to cast into. I don't like that because it's tedious so I'm only going to make one pair at a time as I'm not in a hurry.

It is very great for that. I have taken a mold of some of the details on the Setorax Deathwatch model and I apply it to the shin of all of my Sgts. It's a great little bit that adds that extra level of detail and uniqueness:

Hidden Content
7dRiEmH.jpg