Death Guard and daemons?

01RTB01

You can always just summon on turn 2 with Morty himself if you want. He should be in combat on turn 1 with warp time so you don't have to worry about the not moving part then right?

He doesnt get warptime....

Which is why you have a CSM sorc following him around, making sure he gets that sweet T1 assault. However, using Mortarion as the summoner is significantly more risky than using psychic powers.

Best primary summoner in my opinion is a backfield Lord, near your tanks/Havocs/ whatever. 

I do not like backfield summoning, since if you do that your daemons are often too far away to be relevant. If you need backfield objective campers, fine, but poxwalkers or cultists could do that while denying teleport strikes and you don't have to risk failure or injury.

You can always just summon on turn 2 with Morty himself if you want. He should be in combat on turn 1 with warp time so you don't have to worry about the not moving part then right?

Which is why you have a CSM sorc following him around, making sure he gets that sweet T1 assault. However, using Mortarion as the summoner is significantly more risky than using psychic powers. 

Idk, not big on burning a detachment so my opponent automatically bubble warps.

Idk, not big on burning a detachment so my opponent automatically bubble warps.

Because being shot for an extra turn or two is a better solution? Morty needs to get close and personal, Warptime lets him do that.

You people do understand that unless your opponent makes a list specifically for killing Mortarion, he's going to survive to make it to the other side of the board, yeah? Especially if he's casting defensive spells on himself like Cloud of Flies.

Well they're still going to shoot you turn one; either you kill the screening unit or they fall back and they unload into him. The only real difference is in how they'll deploy and what unit they'll sacrifice to bubblewrap. 

Things like Deathshroud and a summoned Herald can both keep him healthy enough without using your last detachment.

As an anecdote, my game with him had him live with 9 wounds against a nid list with 12 Hive Guard and 3 Biovores, with a screen of gants and blobs of stealers. 

Yeah, and Genestealers are no joke this edition.

Tell me about it. I saw a unit of Genestealer with Broodlord charge a Skitarii flank turn 2 and wipe everything there just to proceed to run through the backfield and kill everything they come across.

Then again, I've also seen games where Genestealer fail a 5" charge despite re-roll and get almost completely wiped before doing anything. :D

I do not like backfield summoning, since if you do that your daemons are often too far away to be relevant. If you need backfield objective campers, fine, but poxwalkers or cultists could do that while denying teleport strikes and you don't have to risk failure or injury.

To Explain it a bit more. The primary summoners job is to summon a Herald or something similar cheap into a forward position, behind cover/cheap troops. This secondary summoner now does the real job along with other secondary summoners like Sorcerors that moved first turn and are now in position. You basically want to have most of your points on the table Turn 2, with a small rest for grabbing VP.

Sum it up:

Primary Summoner: Summons Herald etc. first turn, doesn't have to move to do its job, example: Buff-Lord

Secondary Summoner: Summons Combat Units from turn 2 on, doesn't need to move from then. Example: Sorcerors that are in range after one move, summoned Herald etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but if I take a bunch of Nurglings to make use of their ‘mischief’ rule, does this mean I lose the Battleforged DG benefits?

Would I have to take them in a separate detachment?

Saa......

.....or something like that

Edited by Saa

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but if I take a bunch of Nurglings to make use of their ‘mischief’ rule, does this mean I lose the Battleforged DG benefits?

Would I have to take them in a separate detachment?

Saa......

.....or something like that

Yep unfortunately if you are taking Nurgle Daemons that aren't being summoned in a Death Guard Dettachment you lose all Death Guard battleforged benefits like traits, strategems etc. As such if you are taking Daemons it's better to use a seperate daemons dettachment

Iv got a small 1000pt game this Wednesday and I'm planning on taking some Plaguebearers to summon , it should prove interesting how they preform

Edited by Plaguecaster

Yes separate Detachement.

Detachement 1: Everything that is Deathguard and needs Inexorable Advance. (Plaguemarines, Helbrutes and Terminators, some characters)

Detachement 2: Everything else thats Chaos (Daemons, Daemon prince, Tanks, Defilers etc.) that does not need Inexorable Advance

You need one DG Detachement to use the Stratagems and Relics, You need  DG Warlord for Warlord Traits. The only thing that a pure DG Detachement brings to the table to the Units within is the Doctrin.

Pure Death Guard detachments also gain the new objective secured equivalent, i.e. troops automatically beat any other unit (except one with a similar ability) to see who controls an objective. That is supposedly going to be available to all troops in the upcoming Chapter Approved, but not yet.

It's also worth still taking suitable units as Death Guard in your 2nd non-pure detachment - then you can still use appropriate stratagems on those units, as almost all DG strats only apply to DEATH GUARD units. The same applies to DG character auras. They mostly won't apply to the demon/chaos units, but then that's the trade off for a chaos soup army!

I plan to just spend a command point on adding a unit to my army using the Auxiliary Support Detachment when I want to squeeze in some Nurgle Daemons in a smaller points game without losing all my bonus rules for my DG.

Just summon them instead

I plan to just spend a command point on adding a unit to my army using the Auxiliary Support Detachment when I want to squeeze in some Nurgle Daemons in a smaller points game without losing all my bonus rules for my DG.

Just summon them instead

If that did not force one of my slow moving characters to stay still for a turn or if you could summon the Daemons to any place on the board not within 9 inches of an enemy unit like deep striking then I would never even consider spending the CP.

I like summoning too but if I wanted a big unit of Nurglings in an awkward place for my opponent turn one then I am happy to sacrifice a single CP.

Fair enough, but on the point of our characters being slow, theyre really not. 1 less inch on the whole isn't "slow" , especially when most foot slogging builds have a bell for double dice on the run. The only ones who are really slow are typhus and Lords of contagion because of their 4" move and halved run result

I should probably consider building my Noxious Blightbringer for the next game to help with the movement, on the issue of summoning, I am just not keen on the idea of one of my characters being left behind to summon daemons when for one CP I can have that same unit of daemons involved from the start but probably worth adding that my tactical opinion is probably pretty much worthless to a lot of people as my gaming group is what would be classed as extremely casual. 

The flying daemon prince from the DG dex can also summon while being DG keyword, correct? So then it's possible to summon while being more mobile than a Footslogger. And it has DR to mitigate the doubles or triples.

The flying daemon prince from the DG dex can also summon while being DG keyword, correct? So then it's possible to summon while being more mobile than a Footslogger. And it has DR to mitigate the doubles or triples.

You may have just sold me on a Daemon Prince. :thumbsup:

Happy to oblige :) I'm trying to find good reasons to convert Guilliman into one, other than the obvious fun of it ;)

I still wanna try and a Herald and a ton of possessed in a chaos Vanguard

For extra fun bring along Epidemius. Death Guard possessed get even better when that nutter is skulking about.

I still wanna try and a Herald and a ton of possessed in a chaos Vanguard

For extra fun bring along Epidemius. Death Guard possessed get even better when that nutter is skulking about.

When we're going there, just add Bile as well. It's not like he's Slaanesh or EC anymore anyway. :D