1st game against Death Guard - analysis and theoreticals

Captain Idaho

So I played my first game against the new Death Guard Codex and it was a blast! Very characterful.

My initial feelings were I squandered my attack. I held my Terminators in reserve for the perfect moment then went after a quick Maelstrom victory point with then and got wiped from the board with Mortal Wounds followed by charged by 5 Characters!

Silly me. Playing to the objectives is handy of course but then it's a balance.

My learning points:

Despite a narrow loss with very little on the table, I learned I need to concentrate my power to combat shocking luck. Scions of Guilliman saw a Tactical squad bounce off of a Daemon Prince because he passed 5 6+ saves in a row, causing my units to have to redirect their fire. This trend continued all game by the way. Had so stuck the Terminators there I'd have helped thin the wounds for me and took him on in close combat if he dared.

The actual Death Guard are slow. Spreading out was very useful as it meant my opponent couldn't bring his powerful characters and units together quickly.

I've learnt that a priority is the Blight Drone. I bet some of you have decided that long ago but I wasn't that scared of it at first.

Plague Marines are tough. We already knew that but even krak missile and Lascannons wounded on a 3+ which is immensely annoying.

Edited by Captain Idaho

They are of course. And they have plenty of little tricks with the psychic phase.

However, we shouldn't believe we're outclassed. Turns out that even bolter shots hurt them :)

It's easy to play a game and think you just can't win etc but since even Bolters can wound most things on a 5+, out basic troops are relevant.

Anyway, teaching people to suck eggs and all that... I consider it might be worthwhile taking a Culexus Assassin against them.

Psychic Scourge could be good so we can hurt they're pyskers. Remember that we get +1 leadership as Ultramarines. ;)

Character spam. That's another problem with Death Guard. Fighting 4-6 characters of which a bunch of them can dish out Mortal Wounds and special attacks...

It's a problem highlighted with Eldar.

Not quite sure how to combat it yet. The aforementioned Psychic Scourge and Culexus could be relevant though.