60 power list ideas

Shiroyama

Hello chaps,
Long story short, after many years not gaming, my son and myself have found ourselves playing in a campaign run by my old club. We find ourselves playing Genestealer cult with a 60 power army. the army can change from turn to turn, but must be declared at the start of the turn and kept "as is" for the whole of that turn. So you have to use the same force both to attack and defend. Now the problem is, neither of us has played 8th or in fact any 40k for a very long time. We could do with suggestions for lists and tactics. We have pure-strains by the bucketful, a Patriarch box set, a leman russ, IG/AM  infantry and some Neophytes. We could get some other stuff if needed. 

Any help gratefully accepted 

PS, first games are against Black Templar and Tao (basic rules as not all codexes are out yet)

I been watch and observing a lot of GS battle reports and I give you my perspective. Purestrains seem to be effective in units of 15-20 with alongside the Patriarch. Acolytes are more preferable than the metamorphs in 8th, again in large groups 20 or so (glass cannons) these blobs are melee flavour. They're first and second generation hybrid, highly deadly for troops and can be made even deadlier with loads of weapons.

The Armoured Sentinels with lascannons seem to be really effective in groups of three. Astra militarum brood brothers add much needed boost in ballistic skill, i've seen Scions used to a decent effect. Plus on the AM side you could take a Valkyrie flyer (decent air support) and of course there are Wyvern Suppression Tanks which are capable to mortar the life out of you opponent's troops.

Neophytes are pretty solid 'Acolyte Iconward: Ignore wounds on a 6 for GENESTEALER CULTS INFANTRY, and reroll morale tests for GENESTEALER CULTS, within 6". A HQ slot and 53 points might seem expensive, but you'll probably still want a lot of these guys around.' 

For a far more indepth and insiteful advice go to: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Genestealer_Cults(8E) 

Edited by Many in Arms One in Mind

I been watch and observing a lot of GS battle reports and I give you my perspective. Purestrains seem to be effective in units of 15-20 with alongside the Patriarch. Acolytes are more preferable than the metamorphs in 8th, again in large groups 20 or so (glass cannons) these blobs are melee flavour. They're first and second generation hybrid, highly deadly for troops and can be made even deadlier with loads of weapons.

The Armoured Sentinels with lascannons seem to be really effective in groups of three. Astra militarum brood brothers add much needed boost in ballistic skill, i've seen Scions used to a decent effect. Plus on the AM side you could take a Valkyrie flyer (decent air support) and of course there are Wyvern Suppression Tanks which are capable to mortar the life out of you opponent's troops.

Neophytes are pretty solid 'Acolyte Iconward: Ignore wounds on a 6 for GENESTEALER CULTS INFANTRY, and reroll morale tests for GENESTEALER CULTS, within 6". A HQ slot and 53 points might seem expensive, but you'll probably still want a lot of these guys around.' 

For a far more indepth and insiteful advice go to: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Genestealer_Cults(8E) 

Thanks for that, I will look at the link and hopefully find enlightenment :wink:

Edited by Shiroyama

After my 6th game playing using power level I have some take homes.

Big blobs of purestrains won't let you down. Make sure you use a patriarch or Primus to buff them. The Patriarch always has a command point ready to reroll his cult ambush.

Mass hypnosis power or a friendly vehicle charging in first are really helpful for mitigating over watch (if you face guys with flamers or Tau you'll soon learn to fear it!).

Conscripts with a priest, a commander and commissar make an excellent unit. Neophytes cost a lot of power, so I've abandoned them in power level games for the most part in favour of the conscripts.

The guard can provide you with Lascannons and artillery, it's worth considering some of these as the cult suffers at range. You need to decide what you want to do about anti tank and take a couple or three units to deal with it even at 60 power. I got stomped by flamer chimera's/immolators at this level as they're so tough and murderous for their power level against cult infantry.