A Reimagining of the 5th Tyrant's Legion

TheTrans

Hey all,

About half a decade ago a completed a large Tyrant's Legion army, which coincided well with the release of 6th (all the allied rules om nom nom). I first fell in love with the Tyrant's Legion back when I first borrowed the Badab War books off of a mate. I also loved truescale marines, but to me they needed to compared to something to really show off their size. So obviously before the advent of 6th, the Tyrant's Legion was really the only 'legal' way of doing it.

Anyway here is a pick of my efforts from a few years ago:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KiE3UxxAJV4/UD7JrfKPzmI/AAAAAAAAABo/F74e_P91cv0/s1600/20120829_185236.jpg

So was quite happy with them at the time, and they are probably still serviceable now. 

Now with the advent of readily available truescale fodder (weather it is plastic HH kits or Primaris) and a wealth of 'correct' pieces of kit for the auxilia (plastic Autoguns now a thing, stuff like Victoria minatures etc) I thought I'd try a reimagining of the 5th Tyrant's Legion.

Now to just leeroy jenkins into it, I started a Horus-Huron conversion many years ago (only 'bigger' terminator army available at the time) and never got around to finishing it. So I've recently pulled my finger out and laid into it with wanton abandon. 

The imagine below is what he looked like for the 2.5 years he was sitting on the back burner:
20170913_221354.jpg

Now was pretty happy with him there...was basically sketched out. He was even just using the 'basic' ghost razors (think about how small they would of looked) But I've gotten a little bit better with GS and converting in the last few years so opted to really lay into the bastard. I worked with the picture of him from the Badab Book and tried to 'tick' off all the major pieces of him and his model that stood out to me, this is where I'm at now.

20170918_220123.jpg

20170918_220132.jpg

To me the orginally Lugft Huron model (same as Culln) didn't have enough 'going on' for a full blown chapter master, so I went a bit nuts on him. To me this is much later in the war Huron, rarely dis armours, is starting to really lean more toward the sketchy, dark character he was by the end. 

I opted to swap out Horus Cloak (was going to sculpt a lion skin on top of the 'joiny' bits) but I just before being happy with the model I saw an Angron cloak floating about and whipped that on him. Sculpting isn't as amazing as the FW on the fur (is my one major weakness) but hopefully the style looks similar to the FW stuff. I think the skull and chains also lends it to the darker, later Huron. I will also be intending on painting the fur as a tiger's skin. Tie it in a little bit with the Tiger Claws, maybe a gift from their leader or some :cuss. 

Any way, that is as far as I've gotten with him at the moment. I'll be using 'Ultramarines' as the 'Astral Claws' keyword, and I'll be using 'Catachan' as the 'Tyrant's Legion' Keyword (this is mainly due to Straken being essentially a marine, so he'll probably end up being Carnac Commodus or some such to a bunch of Auxilia (Conscripts).

Anyway, if using the Ultramarine rules, I obviously needed Huron to be puppa smurf.. So just swapped out words in his rules to make him Lugft Huron (no stats or anything changed, just flavour words etc)

Lugft%2BHuron.jpg

Anyway, after that giant post, I'll try and keep this kicking along at a decent pace as I've just completed a Kreig Army, so this one will be more of a modeling project than a "need this army done quick to use" sort of thing :P.

Also let me know if I've missed any blatantly 'Huron' things on his model, I tried to tick all the 'flavour' off (necklace etc) but let me know!!

Thanks for reading!! 

That Huron is insane. I love it. The only thing that feels off is the head, currently it seems a little too far forward, and tilted up by the gorget. Moving it closer into the head cavity and tilting it a little down would make the pose seem a lot more natural. Like the helmet on this Perturabo (I'm sorry, I couldn't find the artist to give credit).

1485183592199.jpg

See how the downward tilt looks a lot more natural and sinister?

Anyways, great work, and I second the request for a shot of Huron next to some mortals.

Jaw dropping work! This is easily the best Huron conversion I have seen to date. Love all the details you've captured from the artwork, I think the fur looks great and isn't a weakness at all! Can't wait to see more work from you!

Thanks mate, really wanted to have him looking a bit more chapter master/dictator like..not a slightly upgraded termy sergeant. Got some 28mm Hitler Youth models on the way, will be converted to be indentured youths within the Tyrant's Legion. I'll be using ratling rules for them, low S and T makes sense! Will try and get some basic Auxilia in the works also! 

Oh yeah! Everything about this feels right!

The Tyrant is also going to look sweet when painted!

Thanks mate! Painting is the bit that kills me haha.

Very nice work. :smile.:

Would love to see a size comparison of your Huron with mortals and the like.

Looking forward for more.

Will try and get one for you mate, he is based off of Horus, so is quite large!

That Huron is insane. I love it. The only thing that feels off is the head, currently it seems a little too far forward, and tilted up by the gorget. Moving it closer into the head cavity and tilting it a little down would make the pose seem a lot more natural. Like the helmet on this Perturabo (I'm sorry, I couldn't find the artist to give credit).

1485183592199.jpg

See how the downward tilt looks a lot more natural and sinister?

Anyways, great work, and I second the request for a shot of Huron next to some mortals.

I get exactly what you mean mate and thank you for the idea, will have a crack at his noggin tonight!

Lught heron looks epic, great detail on the model with the gs work. Looking at the reference pic I recon a plain head would give it more character, but it looks great none the less.

By plain do you mean helmetless? I have such a hard time with bare heads, especially if in terminator armour and if they are in combat..even worse :P

Colour me interested.

;)

COOL !!!

Thanks mate!

Hey boys,

Just a quick update on Huron. After Idomeneus's suggestion if rejigged the angle of Huron's head, I think it has come out looking a little more driven and combat-esque as opposed to the chin lift he had going on prior.

20170920_214252.jpg

20170920_214256.jpg

So spot on suggestion there mate, It makes him look a heap better thank you!!

Also a quick scale shot of Huron with one of my old Auxilia Troopers.

20170920_214522.jpg

Will try and make a start on some Astral Claws Astartes this weekend, so wish me luck!!

Cheers,

Nick

Spot on the perty mate!! How did you do your silver if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers. Pretty quick and simple metal - leadbelcher spray, nuln wash. Drybrush Ironbreaker, paint agrax wash into recesses where you want some depth. After that it's just a highlight of 50/50 Ironbreaker and Mithril, then pure Mithril on the lightest parts. Most of the time is spent waiting for the first nuln wash to dry honestly.

I knew Huron was going to be big but seeing that size comparison really puts his bulk into perspective. I think some scars on his helmet might look nice, but it already looks great! Hope you have some adequate hobby time, can't wait to see some new astartes from you!

Just a quick update on Huron. After Idomeneus's suggestion if rejigged the angle of Huron's head, I think it has come out looking a little more driven and combat-esque as opposed to the chin lift he had going on prior...

You are more than welcome, it would be a crime not to help such an awesome model reach its full potential. Nice work, Huron looks even better now.

Nice work on that Huron conversion! As for the Perturabo, that one's mine.

That's right! I remember being struck by him on your thread now, and then I couldn't recall where I saw him, so I typed "Perturabo with helmet" into Google. Unfortunately the only image  could find was pintrest, which wasn't helpful in finding the original creator.

I knew Huron was going to be big but seeing that size comparison really puts his bulk into perspective. I think some scars on his helmet might look nice, but it already looks great! Hope you have some adequate hobby time, can't wait to see some new astartes from you!

Thanks man, Yeah good thinking, bit of battle damage. Although I can paint some paint chipping scratches on also!

You totally nailed it down. A really brilliant conversion. Now I want one too.

Thanks mate! Have a crack!

The head rejig makes it! He is looking epic.

The only bad thing about this model, is how small he's going to make regular terminators look! Looking forward to more.

Thanks mate!! I have 6 custodes terminators on the way that will form the basis of Huron's bodyguard. They are a decent whack larger and bulkier than normal indomidous type..so with a bit of green stuff and plasticard, should be good!!

That's repositioned head does the trick! 

It does ey!

Just a quick update on Huron. After Idomeneus's suggestion if rejigged the angle of Huron's head, I think it has come out looking a little more driven and combat-esque as opposed to the chin lift he had going on prior...

You are more than welcome, it would be a crime not to help such an awesome model reach its full potential. Nice work, Huron looks even better now.

Nice work on that Huron conversion! As for the Perturabo, that one's mine.

That's right! I remember being struck by him on your thread now, and then I couldn't recall where I saw him, so I typed "Perturabo with helmet" into Google. Unfortunately the only image  could find was pintrest, which wasn't helpful in finding the original creator.

Well I think you shimmied him from good to great thanks mate!! looks so much better now!

Ok need some help from you boys!

So as above stated, going to be using some Custodes Termiantors as the basis for Huron's terminator bodyguard. Now from my readings I've heard some people reckon the Astral Claws are Babylonian themed. So I can't find a Babylonian translator (shock horror) so I'm trying to think up some names:

1. The Tyrant's Claw (a bit too simplistic/yawn inducing for my liking)

2. The Speculatores (apparently what romes praetorian guard were called when they were doing shifty, candestine :cuss)

3. The Badabian Kataphracts (to close to cataphractii armour obviously, but an option)

Thats all I have so far and they aren't blowing my mind, so if anyone has any awesome ideas please let me know!

Next up, I need lion iconography..so much of it! I know scibor has some stuff, but the heads to me are a little lacking and I know obviously we have Huron and the FW shoulder pads I can take a few push moulds of. But has anyone else seen any good lion bits and pieces floating around, if so, please pipe up!!

Thanks a head in advance,
Nick

I think the scale is perfect for Terminator armour. :smile.:
The tilting of the head made the pose much more natural.
Some of the Sigmar models have lion shoulderpads but if you want a typical power armour pad with a lion motif I guess press moulding would be the way to go.

Edited by Markus_