Glass dropper bottles instead of plastic?

Just curious if anyone has used glass dropper bottles instead of plastic. I thought about using them because between my 4 year old, dogs, and wife I've had a few plastic bottles crushed. The result of this has caused me to look for a new Lemartes Limited Edition book. It's not a ton of weight its just that the seam line breaks or kid drops it. I thought maybe a glass bottle would hold up better to abuse.

So glass bottles doable or no?

I worry that anything that would crush a plastic dropper bottle (many brands have quite rigid bottles, although others are quite mushy) may crack a glass vial. But get one with thick enough walls and they should indeed be much sturdier. I assume you would want to use the screw top types that have black rubber squeeze tips on the lid with an eye dropper attached underneath unless you're willing to pipette or pour everything and store thinned down paints.

I worry that anything that would crush a plastic dropper bottle (many brands have quite rigid bottles, although others are quite mushy) may crack a glass vial. But get one with thick enough walls and they should indeed be much sturdier. I assume you would want to use the screw top types that have black rubber squeeze tips on the lid with an eye dropper attached underneath unless you're willing to pipette or pour everything and store thinned down paints.

It's mostly because my daughter drops them and the dogs bit them or the cap leaks a little, not the plastic bursting. though the book one was because it fell off a shelf.. I would probably go for some thick wall glass bottles. Just not sure if it would cause problems like paint drying/sticking etc etc.

Edited by Caldersson

Hmm. Interesting idea. I can see having problems with drying paint inside an eye dropper. On the other hand, it would be easy to rinse the dropper out after a painting session. I use plastic dropper bottles exclusively, even transferring GW and P3 to them. I keep them tip down to prevent drying in the tip, but that would create a major mess with the separate droppers.

You would surely solve your kid/wife/dog damage problem with glass. Give it a try with a few colors and let us know how it works out. Good luck!

uh, you would need to keep glass droppers far, far out of the reach of dogs and children. If the dog chews on glass then it's not going to be pretty.

And if you're going to all the effort of keeping your stuff out of harms way, then why not... you know, do that in the first place and save yourself the hassle?

I bought a dozen bottles like you describe off of Amazon awhile ago to house custom ink washes so I could make them in bulk. They work extremely well for those, but there is still occasional pigment that dries and sticks to the inside. I'm not sure how well they would work for thicker paint unless you kept it thinned a bit, nor how well they would work versus a hard fall, or a pet bite.

uh, you would need to keep glass droppers far, far out of the reach of dogs and children. If the dog chews on glass then it's not going to be pretty.

And if you're going to all the effort of keeping your stuff out of harms way, then why not... you know, do that in the first place and save yourself the hassle?

Dogs have a tendency to perform test bites. Since most dog toys are plastic like Kong they think its a toy. Glass they will simply will ignore as they know it is not chewable. I also doubt a dachshund has that bite pressure to break glass. They have a lock jaw and the hunting instinct but their not the bite ppi to do real damage.

As for keeping them away, that is much easier said than done. Stationed in Seoul and space is a high commodity. I am considered lucky to even have a spare bedroom to keep anything. So where I keep my paint is also the book cases, computers, blanket storage, mead brew, wifes sewing stuff, and arts and crafts. We thought of a lockbox but that its hard to even find a place for that, as my paint now is stored in a tiny unused area below my wifes sewing machine.

So 90% of the time the door is locked to keep dogs out. We still need to open it to do various things and that is when things happen. Its only been a few times but I want to make sure it never happens.

Also a new kicker is this: about to pcs and right now only authorized a 2 bedroom apartment. So my daughter and master bedroom. Everything else will be in living room causing further troubles.

I found an old glass bottle (similar to this) with a metal screwlid in an old box of stuff in the loft the other day; it was still half full of paint from oh, a decade ago when I tried out the terrible citadel spray gun. Separated to hell and back, but after a good mix it was back to normal (though maybe not *quite* as thinned as orginally). So full marks for longevity!

I've smashed enough glass stuff in my life though that I'm not entirely sure it would reliably survive a drop from a shelf. Have you space for a wall-mounted or cupboard door mounted paint rack? You could optionally decant into vallejo-style plastic dropper bottles to increase density. There's a variety of styles.

481219ff79a8d46b94f8e156b2764090--storag

I found an old glass bottle (similar to this) with a metal screwlid in an old box of stuff in the loft the other day; it was still half full of paint from oh, a decade ago when I tried out the terrible citadel spray gun. Separated to hell and back, but after a good mix it was back to normal (though maybe not *quite* as thinned as orginally). So full marks for longevity!

I've smashed enough glass stuff in my life though that I'm not entirely sure it would reliably survive a drop from a shelf. Have you space for a wall-mounted or cupboard door mounted paint rack? You could optionally decant into vallejo-style plastic dropper bottles to increase density. There's a variety of styles.

481219ff79a8d46b94f8e156b2764090--storag

That looks like a good idea, I will have to see what this new apartment has for room and the rules. I would love to mount some on the wall away from everything.

Edited by Caldersson

Dogs have more jaw pressure than you might imagine (it's the carnassials).  A wolf can generate enough jaw pressure to bite through a baseball bat if necessary.  Sure a dachshund does much less, but a glass vial is easy for even the smallest breeds.  A human can generate 120-150 pounds of pressure, a dog (any dog) can top that.  If you can crack something by biting down, so can your dog.

Remember that doxies were bred for hunting badgers, and when they bite down they don't let go.

Edited by Ulfgrim Alvsbane

Dogs have more jaw pressure than you might imagine (it's the carnassials).  A wolf can generate enough jaw pressure to bite through a baseball bat if necessary.  Sure a dachshund does much less, but a glass vial is easy for even the smallest breeds.  A human can generate 120-150 pounds of pressure, a dog (any dog) can top that.  If you can crack something by biting down, so can your dog.

Remember that doxies were bred for hunting badgers, and when they bite down they don't let go.

Oh i know their bite strength and wouldnt bat an eye if someone said they had more bite force than most dogs. Their strength isnt bite force but a lockjaw and a strong neck to clamp down on something and then literally shake it to death.

You assume they go around biting everything at full force. As i explained they do test bites first which are very soft. Since the plastic dropper bottles use a very similiar plastic as the squeekers in dog toys they think its a toy. With a glass bottle they will lick and see if its a toy and pass it up. I know this because my wife has glass dropper bottles that the dogs ignore as they know its not a toy. Although one will lick the crap out of some plant oil stuff.