GW technical paints and Varnishing

Kassill

I've not tried varnishing yet or the GW technical paints (specifically Astrogranite and Valhallan Blizzard). With the new GW paint app I've decided on how to move forward basing my minis, I just wasn't sure how these technical paints would react to varnish, and whether I should do them before or after. 

Astrogranite at least acts like normal paint (mechanicus grey, possibly) with very small microbeads in it. It doesn't appear to be particularly more robust than ordinary acrylic - I can scrape it off pretty easily if I try. Varnish over the top works fine, and will protect it.

I'm not sure what valhallan blizard is made of though, not used it personally. Possibly unpigmented medium and microbeads?

Astrogranite can be varnished just fine, it's nothing special or different in terms of paint quality. Blizzard, and other glossy technicals like the bile one and the blood one, the varnish will kill their shine. I recommend doing these technicals as a final finishing touch after varnishing, or going back and hitting these spots with gloss varnish brushed on after you spray your varnish.

Metallics and their shine suffer this problem too if you have a very matte varnish.