Painting Imperial Fists/ochre yellow armour

onipunk

I'm in the primary stages of planning a Heresy Era Imperial Fists army, and I've narrowed down the kind of look I'd like them to have. I prefer the idea of darker, more ochre-toned armour, not really into the brighter schem I usually see them depicted with. If anyone could offer any help on how to achieve this sort of scheme, preferably using Citadel paints (just for ease of access), that'd be much appreciated! I've attached a link with the ideal look, with a picture embedded below in case you're not bothered clicking the link. Cheers in advance!

http://painted40k.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/slaanesh-captive-by-sho3box.html

clutchesofchaos3.jpg

Averland sunset is a good mustard. Use it over white.

Then shade the recesses with agrax earthshade. Retouch them with averland sunset.

Then edge highlight with any of the bone or cream colours.

But that's only the no fuss fast way to do it and will leave your guys looking underworked next to some heresy armies.

Similar tutorial

Edited by Closet Skeleton

I'd try a normal fist scheme (averland -> yriel -> dorn) and do a step down of darker shades. So a base of balor brown, shade with dilute agrax earthshade. Layer over most with averland sunset (optional yriel&averland layer for highlighting) then edge highlight with yriel yellow and/or dorn yellow to taste. If you need to blend the layering in, a glaze of lamenters yellow should do the trick.

To add weathering as above and darken it down further, I think that's oil based. Something like Ammo oilbrushers (earth & mud colours) would work pretty well, with some oil/enamel thinner to feather it out. Or you could use typhus corrosion, but it won't be quite so blended and natural.

Edited by Arkhanist

Cheers lads, I gave Grotsmasha's suggestion a go and liked the results, but my test model does need the shadows and highlights pushed to bigger extremes, it's a good start though! I'll look into oils for weathering, but I haven't painted for over six years so I might need time to work up to being able to use them. And that Arsies model is beautiful, but I don't own an airbrush and it's about four thousand miles out of my league, but cheers for the link!

Mengel Miniatures has a great tutorial for yellow IF here.

If you mix the Lamenters Yellow with a touch of Sepia or Earthshade to muddy it a little before applying it to the model, you will end up with a more muted/ochre yellow finish.

If you want to have the lower areas a darker/soiled colour, then wash those areas at the end with glazes of Sepia or Earthshade until you get the effect you want.

As long as you're patient, it's actually pretty hard to get it very wrong with this method! ;)

Mengel's tutorial was one of the ones I'd looked at, aye, but my local GW was sold out of Lamenters Yellow, unfortunately! I've had good results using Averland with glazes of Seraphim Sepia or Earthshade to darken lower areas a notch, Rhinox Hide with Lahmian Medium for the darkest recesses, and Yriel Yellow for highlighting with a final edge highlight of Flayed One Flesh. Cheers for all the help guys, it's really appreciated!