How to equip standalone bike / vanguard squads

Lamesaint

As the name suggests I'm looking at building some Biker / Vanguard squads for my DW army. How do you guys recommend equipping say a 5 man squad of each? Power swords for all bikers, or mix of Mauls / swords / axes, are any better? How about the vanguards. Looking for a general toolkit use out of them not specifically gearing for a specific army / opponent. 

In general parlance, the Power Axe is slightly better than either of the other PWs but the single point increase seems to balance this out.  I'd stick with the axes (since 1 point is a pittance IMO) but you really can't go wrong with any of the options.

As for the Vanguards, dogma in C: SM armies seems to indicate that the TH is the new hotness.  That being said, the PF's points drop (has it trickled into DW yet?) does make it a lot more interesting than before, though if you're not going to have a WC/WM around to provide re-rolls you may be better off avoiding the -1 to hit and stacking LCs.

Also, the changes and points reductions have actually made PP akimbo (dual wielding) surprisingly viable, especially for DS VVs.  It's a bit pricey, but if you think about it you're only spending 1 point more than a single PG for the same number of shots at 12" and the privilege of continuing to shoot while within 1" of enemy units.  This is especially nasty if you can keep a support Character nearby!

I made a squad of Bolt Pistol/Plasma Pistol vanguard and they work pretty well. The Bolt Pistol works good as a discount Plasma Pistol, though sometimes I wish I went for the full PP squad.

Yeah, that is my loadout as well. If only you had the option to drop the special ammo tax, dual PP would be way to go, as it is, splitting like above is most efficient build...