Why would *you* take generic lords?

ArtificerArmour

Long time lurker, first time poster alert!

Ok, so as we know DG can take some "generic" HQ choices. First off I class the following as generic:

Chaos Lord +/- terminator armour

Chaos Sorceror +/- terminator armour

So lets get the negatives out of the way (pre FAQ, at least)

1) T4. A major problem for both fluff abd power gamers

2) lack of Disgustingly Resilient - I may be wrong, codex not to hand, but I think they lack this rule but happy to be corrected (please do, I'm actively looking for plusses).

3) restriction to lore of contageon - no warp time for you!

Ok, now for some benefits:

1) Customisability/accessability - you can personalise their wargear / still use your models from previous editions.

2) lord of... : +1 to hit is always good

So what do you plan on taking? Are you going for full DG only HQ/elites, or is there some mileage to be had from generic HQs?

The only generic anything I'd take would be a Sorc in an allied CSM detachment for warp time. I'm trying to remember if the nurgle DP gets access to that but I don't think they do. At work no codex so I can't check.

That is the only reason other than some fluffy list you want to run for kicks that anyone would not take the awesome DG HQ choices.

Counter question: If you don't run a TDA Lord, how do you keep your Blightlords from combusting when they overcharge their Combi Plasmaguns? Do you kit them out differently or do you just roll them up the table in a Land Raider etc?

The DP is better, no questions asked but he can't deepstrike. :/

I'll take a basic Lord and march him along with my Plague Launchers.  Also just dawned on me that we can take Hellforged Leviathan Dreads, so he'd stick around something like that too.  I've also got 2 Lasgun Preds that I would park him next to.  Anything like that where he is staying away from the front and helping re-rolls seems like a great way to spend some extra points to me.

Counter question: If you don't run a TDA Lord, how do you keep your Blightlords from combusting when they overcharge their Combi Plasmaguns? Do you kit them out differently or do you just roll them up the table in a Land Raider etc?

By rolling all the 5+ rolls of course, d'uh! :P

The DP can't deep strike but he is mobile enough with Wings to catch up to deep striking terminators imo.

By rolling all the 5+ rolls of course, d'uh! :tongue.:

What 5+? Plasmas don't do mortal wounds but outright kill the wielder if he burns himself. So no DG to save those ~48 points Blightlords...

Huh, really? I admit I haven't read the Plasma rules in detail since the Indexes got released. I thought they do just one mortal wound like the overcharged Ion weapons T'au have.

I don't have Blightlords yet, and I don't plan on ever overcharging their combis unless it's absolutely do or die and I *need* the extra oomph (so, never really).

Edited by Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

The only generic anything I'd take would be a Sorc in an allied CSM detachment for warp time. I'm trying to remember if the nurgle DP gets access to that but I don't think they do. At work no codex so I can't check.

That is the only reason other than some fluffy list you want to run for kicks that anyone would not take the awesome DG HQ choices.

This. CSM nurgle DP does get to pick 1 spell from dark hereticus like sorcerer too.

I was planning on using a "generic" Sorcerer in Terminator Armour to throw around some Hereticus spells, but since we don't have access to that anymore I'll probably run it as another Legion in a Supreme Command detachment instead. I think it's odd they even bothered to include the Sorcerer, since the Malignant Plaguecaster is basically the same thing but without Terminator Armour and with the usual Death Guard bonuses. I think they should have scrapped the Sorcerer altogether and just given the Plaguecaster usual Sorcerer options, then have the new Plaguecaster AND a Terminator Sorcerer in DG colours listed as a Plaguecaster in the model showcase section of the codex.

I see value in the Lord. There's the usual setup of dropping in a Terminator Lord with some Plasma Terminators for rerolling 1's to avoid self immolation, which also applies to Plague Marines if you go down the plasma route (like I did). I also think a Lord walking around with some Blight Haulers would be a decent boost to their accuracy.

The lack of T5 and Disgustingly Resilient is somewhat annoying. They could have easily rebranded him a "Death Guard Lord" or "Chaos Lord of Nurgle" and tacked on those extra rules without causing any conflicts, datasheet redundancy or other weird complications that might arise.

Overall I feel like the inclusion of the "Generic" Lord and Sorcerer was a pretty uncreative way of shoe-horning in units to keep people happy, but without doing the same thing with other missing "generic" units it feels really out of place in the context of the new codex.

I checked the codex last night when I got home and I don't see where the Nurgle DP can still take spells from the Hereticus book. The data slate from what I remember said he knows Smite and can take one spell from the Contagion list. I know pre codex you could take Warptime on a DP but does it still allow you that option? If so, where in the codex is it located?