Von'Ta Sept WIP Pic Log

CoffeeGrunt

I've been building this Tau army up over three years or so, (including one major colour scheme change.) With 8th toning the power of these guys down coupled with the system generally being more fun to play, I've been cracking these guys out of storage and onto the painting and gaming tables.

I'll update this first post with a good ol' Army pic sometime once I get the force together for a photo op. Individual units are below.

Ethereal:

The honoured Aun'sol. I love this new model for the Ethereal, looks very regal and commanding. He's a bit nerfed this edition sadly, his ability only working on an immobile gunline when I prefer a high-risk, high-reward close assault force. He mostly stays on the shelf but occasionally comes out for smaller games.

DLaZ3Dk.jpg

XvLfFTT.jpg

Shadowsun:

Shadowsun is another HQ option I would quite like were her ability not oriented around staying still when in my opinion she's meant to be fast. (Last edition she had a Warlord Trait for an extra D6" Jetpack move!) Here's hoping the Codex fixes her up!

y9kbij8.jpg

Coldstar:

Shas'O Gundam here, the Commander who will pierce the heavens. I don't think I've ever regretted putting this guy into my list, but then with a potential 40" move, that's not really surprising. It is my personal canon that he makes anime noises when he attacks.

tkUDnqZ.jpg

3JqHpwV.jpg

Commander:

The standard Commander for my list. The weapon is custom and he's based on a Broadside with a pair of thrusters borrowed from the Razorshark's Thruster Drones. Used to be my Iridium Armour Commander, maybe we'll get that option in the Codex.

KsGdN9Z.jpg

Strike Team & Fireblade:

My mainstay Infantry. I need more of these guys. The Fireblade gives them some solid offensive buffs at short range, annoyingly they have to stand perfectly still to do it, which seems to be a theme in 8th Ed Tau. :|

T3trcNi.jpg

Breachers and Devilfish:

These are a team, inseparable. Without one, the other kinda sucks. They're not as aggressive as they used to be sadly, but still hit pretty hard for a cheap Troops choice. Provided you're at point-blank range, at least.

uOYTely.jpg

55vnX4C.jpg

Crisis Suits:

This new kit was like a gift from the gods. Posable Crisis Suits with customisation and lots of weapon options? Oooh-wee! Had a lot of fun building and painting these. Regret equipping them with the lacklustre Plasma Rifle this edition, but who knows? It might be back in vogue some time in the future.

GRh1875.jpg

ye4eDDS.jpg

L7PfQLX.jpg

R9df23l.jpg

Crisis Bodyguards:

Converted from a set of old Forgeworld Broadsides I got from a friend, these guys seemed too small to be Broadsides comparable to the new model, but the models were too nice to pass up. I converted them to Crisis Suits, imagining the backpacks containing a "Mass Effect" field that allows them to reduce their weight using antigrav so they can move swiftly around the battlefield.

ngdqiay.jpg

VrHt3Da.jpg

Stealth Teams:

8th Edition made these guys so worth taking now. I think there will be many more in my future. Lackluster for two editions but I held onto them, hoping for this day, haha.

y5tvCu0.jpg

63OEBRJ.jpg

Riptide:

What's a Tau army without a giant gundam? Sadly he's close to what I'd consider a Lord of War points cost and my personal style doesn't involve putting my eggs all in one basket if I can avoid it. He's been shelved for much of this edition, though he's still pretty darn durable and does appreciable damage.

C8S2BAs.jpg

Ghostkeel:

Solid last edition, very solid this one. -2 to Hit from >12" means he's a lot of fun to kite in that 12-18" zone he performs best at. Positioning is super important with this guy and you tend to have to think a move ahead. 

dG1sdqo.jpg

Pathfinders:

I find these guys aren't as essential as they were last edition, but they're still pretty capable. Markerlights seem to have taken...not so much a nerf as a complete change in how they operate, which for my playstyle has made them pretty redundant. Used to be handy to have a couple of tokens around the board for buffing the right units against the right targets. Now it's pretty irrelevant.

fQf0kDa.jpg

2Z3RbGr.jpg

n7hYaBA.jpg

Y V A H R A

Trogdor the Burninator itself. I've only played it a couple of times. It was an absolute joy to build and paint, and so far it's been a blast to play. It's a harsh unit to run though, so I only do so after I've given my opponent fair warning, haha. It's just so fast and those weapons hit so hard, not to mention how durable it can be, especially with some Drones around!

4beokTz.jpg

0UMVkDm.jpg

mdBOiye.jpg

Hammerhead:

Converted this one up to serve as my Longstrike Hammerhead. I don't like the idea of a Tank Commander equipped with the most advanced suit comms uplinks in the Tau Empire hanging out of the cupola pointing at things, so I figured I'd customise his Hammerhead instead. Wanted a sleek tank hunter look, with a lower profile and inline main cannon rather than having it be offset. Was pretty easy to put together in the end.

It'll have Razorshark Thruster Drones in the Drone mounts once I get around to that.

RxTmPCk.jpg

Qcy0n7x.jpg

kluVssq.jpg

Alternate Ion Cannon:

LpJ3uUl.jpg

cdJE46E.jpg

k3DXJE0.jpg

Missileside:

These want from arguably-OP auto-include last edition to a bit pricy this edition. Still a tonne of dakka though, and I still have a soft spot for the Missile Mittens.

Ca1K7L2.jpg

And finally for now, my WIP Stormsurge. I'm doing this in sub-assemblies along with giving it arms to hold the main cannon, mounting the missile packs on the back and closing up the cockpit to make it more like a Superheavy Broadside. It'll be my centerpiece model when it's done. 

Thinking I'll add a couple of Fire Warriors to the base scouting along beneath it:

LoxZvgD.jpg

IHWWI6y.jpg

Good work ! the colours you've chosen makes me think they're from a water based area = :cool.: 

YVHARA is very nice but the WiP stormsurge is my fav (that's such an awesome looking model :wub: )

i like how your hammerhead is defending the custard cream tin for the greater good :biggrin.:

very inspirational work ,thanks for sharing !

cheers, Mithril

• 5 months later...

So I got the Tau out of storage with the new Codex. No new painted models, but here's a group shot of my first 2K list. Got absolutely wrecked, but I'll be trying more till I get the hang of them.

x2Q21LN.jpg

Great to see this army resurface :wub:

that Stormsurge idea rocks mega !! im thinking Triszin may steal that idea for a Titanfall themed Stormsurge :biggrin.:  

look forward to seeing some more paint put down...same colours or are you thinking repaint???...

Cheers,Mithril

It'll the same scheme, which sadly is rather time consuming as it needs an airbrush for the blue, then very careful painting for everything else. I think the Stormsurge will be next for the Tau, but I've got a pile of stuff still to do before that. Such is the curse of this hobby! :P

Well, i definitely look forward to fielding this amount of painted T'AU on a Table :wub:  

Gotta say i really want to see that Stormsurge painted ... :biggrin.:

The brassy gold contrast's extremely well with the blue,even more so on the drones!

Cheers, Mithril

• 4 weeks later...

Progress has finally been made on the Stormsurge, with the torso done I've just got the arms and the missile rack left to do, then a few details and tidy-up. Really looking forward to seeing it on the table, it's performed well in a couple of test games so it shouldn't languish on the shelf once it's done!

H7JCkz8.jpg
wEp2m73.jpg

The covered cockpit and arms seems to be the popular choice with the Surge and does improve the looks and adds more of the T'au aesthetic to the look of the model.

Nice work :thumbsup:

I got my upgrade kit from shapeways and the version I have mounts the main gun under arm as opposed to held like the XV88 but I think both options work well. There is also a version which puts the missile pods onto the ends of the arms like the XV88 Missileside but I prefer moving the main gun from the shoulder mount.

gallery_62353_13282_52522.jpg

Archived