Dreadnought vs Venerable

Roguester

Doomglaive is decent if you can deploy him into close combat.

No point in taking non-venerable drednought unless you do not have enough points. Close-combat variants is useless for GK since we already have doomglaives and dreadknights for this purpose. Las\missile loadout can help with long ranged firepower we lack. Hiding it behind LoS-block and casting astral aim on it can be interesting combination. It will see the whole battlefield but no one will see it. Your opponent must have AV deep-strike to deal with.  

A Doomglaive in a Stormraven. That's what's getting it into close combat. A Doomglaive is great: it wounds pretty much everything on a 3+ and hits on a 3+ as well. The heavy Psycanon is great too, so it's a good load out.

Well, the doomglaive is a dreadnought varian.

Doomglaives are pretty good but compete somewhat with GMNDKs. I would only use one if plan to carry it in a storm raven.

Regular venerables are pretty bad, specially the shooty ones, just too expensive and inferior to the doomglaive.

Doomglaive is the one you want if you want a fighty Dread. He's a Venerable, hits almost as hard as a DK most of the time, and is quite cheap for what he does. 

Venerable Dreads work fine as long range fire support. 'Astral Aim' is pretty funny with a twin lascannon and missile launcher, you can noclip.exe enemy vehicles. They're not super efficient, but they're fine as a fun choice.

There is pretty much no reason to use the regular Dread. He's just completely outclassed by the other two. 

Well, Raven just the best way to deliver him and saves a depoyment choice. You can teleport him with Gate or set in Teleportarium for 1 CP but it leaves him vulnerable for shooting on turn 1.

Psychic powers choice depends on how you want to use it. GoI if it is your way to bring him to battle. You want Sanctuary on your GMNDK, but 5++ is nice addition to increase survivability against AV weapons. Hammerhand will make him wound everything on 2+, but your Falchion-wielding troops want it more.  Purge and Vortex are the same on any unit. It is very unlikely it will benifit from astral aim though. Heavy Psycannon is nice addition, but he does his work in melee.  

On Doomglaives I always take 'Gate'. It's such a strong utility power for our army, because we're painfully slow after our initial alpha strike. I've used to to get him into position, or teleport other stuff upfield. I tend to take multiple copies of 'Gate' in my army for that reason, it can be pretty clutch to move a key unit into a critical position.

On Venerables kitted for ranged duty, 'Astral Aim' is very handy. Shooting through walls with lascannons and missile launcher scares people a lot, makes screening useless.