Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2000 points - Death Guard all-arounder?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Fobzter

Fobzter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 76 posts

Hi,

I've been a imperium player forever and this summer I decided to start a side project with chaos. Bought a bunch of new DG stuff along with a DV starter. Just got my codex (gamer's ed., whoo!) and I came up with the following. Only thing I don't own is the Foul Blightspawn, but it can be easily proxied.

Double Batallion (9CP)

1st Batallion

Typhus (blades of putrefaction, putrescent vitality)

Chaos lord > bolt pistol, chainaxe

10x cultists > 8x autogun > heavy stubber > shotgun on champ

10x cultists > 8x cc&bp > flamer > cc&bp on champ

10x poxwalkers

Noxious blightbringer > plasma pistol > cursed plague bell

2x foetid bloat-drones > 2x plaguespitters > plague probe

2nd Batallion

Daemon prince of Nurgle (miasma of pestilence) > wings > daemonic axe

Malignant plaguecaster (curse of the leper, gift of contagion) > corrupted staff

10x poxwalkers

5x plague marines > 2x boltgun > 2x plasma gun > plasma gun, PF, plaguesword on champ

7x plague marines > 4x boltgun > 2x blight launcher > plasma gun, PF, plaguesword on champ

Foul Blightspawn > plague sprayer

Chaos rhino > combi-bolter

2x Chaos predators > predator autocannon > lascannon sponsons

That's 2000 points.

List should be quite straight forward, bigger PM blob in the rhino with plaguecaster and blightspawn. Plasma PM walks in rapid fire range. Cultists and poxwalkers shield deployment zone and predators and deny deepstrike. Cultists also guard poxwalkers to give them possible use for the dead walk again stratagem. Bloat-drones advance aggressively, followed by the rhino and DP, who can give miasma after disembarkation on T2 most likely. Chaos lord is there for 2nd batallion and rerolling 1's on the predators. This way everything would be wysiwyg besides the missing foul blightspawn, but model's not out yet I think.

Feel free to suggest improvements, I got double DI and single DV, FS, KNF and easy to build poxwalkers and PM's. 

Cheers!

Artemis360

Artemis360

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts

For 2,000 points, you have very few heavy hitters. The list seems to be built around it being difficult for the enemy to kill all your troops choices, but apart from not dying quickly, what does your army do well? I think you need more synergy.

Check out my Word Bearer Warband

Fobzter

Fobzter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 76 posts
Hmm,
What do you mean by hard hitters, more plasma or tanks? Don't have any terminators, yet atleast.

What if I largen the advancing force..

Typhus
DP with wings, talons
DP with wings, axe
Chaos Lord

10x cultists, autoguns, heavy stubber
10x cultists, autoguns, heavy stubber
10x poxwalkers
10x poxwalkers
5x plague marines, 2x boltgun, 3x plasmagun
5x plague marines, 2x boltgun, 2x blight launcher, 1x plasmagun, PF, plaguesword

Chaos rhino

Chaos predator, predator autocannon, 2x lascannon
Chaos predator, predator autocannon, 2x lascannon

Foetid bloat-drone, plague probe, 2x plaguespitters

Better? Feel free to suggest. I want atleast 1x DP, 2x plague marines, 1x chaos rhino..

Fobzter

Fobzter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 76 posts

I ditched the double batallion with more fluffy approach. So far couple test games against DA & RG and I like it. Both games I've managed to pull some shenagians. Also didn't have a lot of money  to buy whole lot of new units.

FYI, here you go:

7CP  total.

Daemon prince + wings + malefic talons + <suppurating plate> + (miasma of pestilence) + [arch-contaminator]
Typhus + (curse of leper) + (putrescent vitality)
Malignant plaguecaster + (plague wind) + (blades of putrefaction)

10x cultists + 8x autogun + 1x heavy stubber + autopistol & brutal combat weapon on champion
10x cultists + 8x autogun + 1x heavy stubber + autopistol & brutal combat weapon on champion
18x poxwalkers

7x plague marines + 4x boltgun + 2x blight launcher + plasma gun & power fist  & plaguesword on champion
7x plague marines + 4x boltgun + 2x plasma gun + plasma gun & power fist & plaguesword on champion
7x plague marines + 1x flail + 1x cleaver + 1x mace & axe + 2x axe & knife + 1x plague spewer + plaguesword & power fist on champion

Biologus putrifier
Noxious blightbringer
Tallyman

Foetid bloat-drone + 2x plaguespitter + plague probe
Foetid bloat-drone + 2x plaguespitter + plague probe

plagueburst crawler + 2x entropy cannon + heavy slugger

Chaos rhino + combi-bolter

Typhus, noxious, pox & cultists try to advance and pull out the dead walk again stratagem shenagian and hold objectives. In the first game my PM's were also behind cultists and but it only stalled their advancing, lot's of other threats for enemy to shoot at.. The crawler is just disgustingly resilient and a decent distraction target for enemy lascannons, damage output wasn't that overwhelming. 

Plaguecaster, tallyman, biologus, cc PM's advance with chaos rhino which puffs smoke. Bloat drones with DP are the tip of the spear and with bad dice rolling from the enemy both drones got to shoot their spitters which are tremendous. DP gives miasma on the cc rhino. Mortal wounds from the psychic powers can threaten even a DA gunline. Destroyed a darkshroud in one turn even with the Azrael 4+ inv buff (which was negated by mortal wounds!) PM cc are expensive and can't really afford a double package so have to settle with only one box and their upgrades.. 

I didn't feel like I lacked that much dakka, DA gunline with the darkshroud and 4+ invu wanted me to get close with auto hit weaponry and mortal wounds. It was actually the first game my DA army (played against myself that game) lost in 8th. My meta is small, but DA has been the most deadly against our meta-style of gaming. (Orks, WE, BA, DA, RG, Nid's and now DG).

Special mention for VoTL, blades of putrefaction and our cc plague marines with presence of DP and the Tallyman. 

Don't think that this would fair in any kinda tournament setting, but it has many new units, fluffyness and couple neat shenagians to try to pull out. Maneuvering these has never been so much fun and I was so stupid to think that a static gunline captain, lieutenant etc aura combo was fun. It isn,t, atleast anymore. It's effective, but not satisfactory :)

Playing in a smaller game this thursday (1k game against RG). 

DP with wings
Typhus

10x cultists, autoguns, stubber
11x poxwalkers
5x plague marines, 3x plasma, 1x PF, 1x plaguesword

Chaos rhino, combi-bolter

2x foetid bloat-drones with plaguespitters

If my opponent won't alter his list, He'll be bringing..

Primaris Cpt
Primaris Lt
Primaris Ancient

9x Hellblasters

5x Reivers (grav chute)

5x Intercessors (grenade thingie)
5x Interessors (grenade thingie)
5x Intercessors (grenade thingie)

We'll see how it goes. For the 2k list above, I really don't know how to alter it, maybe swap the crawler for third bloat drone  and go advance heavy. I'll play a game against my DS heavy BA list and see how it'll play out. Just need more friends to drop by as victims of 40k, playing against yourself now and then is fine for playtesting, but in a bigger picture it's boring. 

Checkmate77

Checkmate77

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 178 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

Good luck on your game tonight, let us know how your list works out.

As long as your opponent doesn't bring in a Dreadnought or Armor you should be ok.

Fobzter

Fobzter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 76 posts

I lost 14-8. We threw the game and got spoils of war. My opponent got 6 vs. 1 point lead on T1 with lucky objective cards and rolling D3 VP getting 3 points. During the game I got 3x 1vp with D3 VP objectives. Around T3 it was clear that I needed to table my opponent to win. In the last turn I charged my 13 poxwalkers, PM champion with PF, bloat-drone and casted smite and curse of the leper at the last model my opponent had, the primaris captain, getting a single wound. In the end I had all my poxes, 6 cultists etc alive. He had only killed my prince, 4 plague marines and 4 cultists. 

My mental notes: 

Don't leave your DP  hanging to get shot with rapid firing 5man hellblasters squad, which can overcharge, reroll all failed hits and wound rolls of 1. The list was solid, the game format and bad objective cards were against me. My opponent got "free" VP's for just getting a objective card which gave him points if the center of the gaming table was clear of enemy units, etc. My MvP were the bloat-drones, which did fantastic job with and without the presence of the DP. Typhus casted only spells and tried to keep up with the poxwalkers. Quite meh actually. Speed of bloat-drones and DP were crucial also I made a huge error charging the wrong unit with my empty chaos rhino, if I had charged the hellblasters the turn they killed my DP instead of a intercessor squad which was already in fight with my plague marines. Lesson learned, don't try to get that first blood, it's just 1vp and stepping away from your battle plan cost me my win.

Don't know if we played it right, but if you kill a hellblaster it really can just shoot a rapid firing overcharged -4 ap 3+ to hit shots? Those were mean.

I played the above list, with DP being the warlord, with suppurating plate (where I rolled only ones in combat for saves...) and miasma of pestilence, Typhus had the vitality and curse of leper. Have to say the latter isn't that effective against T4, maybe with gift of contagion it would shine better. 

My enemy had:

primaris captain (3cp spent for company master)

primaris ancient with relic banner (3+ to shoot/fight once when slain..)

primaris lieutenant

3x 5man intercessors with 1x grenade launcher

2x 5man hellblasters with plasma incenerators

5man reivers squad with grav chutes and pistol & knife

His hellblasters were sitting inside buildings so they got their +1 to armour save from my fire which were good. Ap -4 is also nasty on those incenerators. 

One error I also made was that in the first three turns I used the dead walk again stratagem, to get my cultists screening my poxwalkers, resulting only 2 more poxwalkers. And I used my last CP for a reroll which I should have saved for an explosion. Empty chaos rhino is a great wrap unit if you want a hellblaster squad or equivalent to not shoot for a turn. If I could have forced the rhino to explode I would have made mortal wounds on all the remaining units my opponent had inside a building, lieutenant, captain and hellblasters. 

Errors made and bad objectives drawn.. Losers talk, but it was so close and my army almost fully intact. 

Next game I will play the 2k list above and make sure my DP won't die in a single turn.. Hope this helps.

• Checkmate77 likes this

Checkmate77

Checkmate77

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 178 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

Sorry you lost, but thanks for sharing your experiences.  Good points that will help the rest of us.

Guidebot

Guidebot

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 40 posts

Thanks for sharing the tabletop experience, always good to read about since atm there's not a lot to draw upon.  

List looks fine to me, a good starting point until you get a feel for what you prefer and what is just better on the table.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users