Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2000 points, first list ideas

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Wayniac

Wayniac

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 850 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, Black Legion

Here's what I'm thinking to start my Death Guard army.  I really like the tanks and plague marines themselves (so no "Walking Dead" Poxwalker spam):

Spoiler

The melee squad and the Biologus Putrifier go together to hopefully maximize the blight grenades. The Lord of Contagion and the Deathshroud will teleport in.

It was suggested elsewhere that I need a "screen" so I was considering dropping the Plague Surgeon (while neat, his bubble being only 3" makes me not think he's going to be that worth taking) and taking 12 Poxwalkers instead, but I am open to suggestions.

Thoughts or suggestions?

- Wayne aka "Wayniac the Indecisive"

Bulwyf

Bulwyf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,212 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

It looks solid to me. Poxwalkers are IMO something you either really build a list around or have them at least saddled up Typhus. You don't need poxwalkers in this list unless you radically alter it.

40kDGBanner

alexmarine28

alexmarine28

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts
Why not changing the Noxious for a Blightspawn to max the grenade assault of the CQC squad? You will also make the Tallyman go with them as he can hold himself in combat.

I will not discount the use of a little poxwalkers unit as a chaff going with the rest of the battle line

Wayniac

Wayniac

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 850 posts

Why not changing the Noxious for a Blightspawn to max the grenade assault of the CQC squad? You will also make the Tallyman go with them as he can hold himself in combat.

I will not discount the use of a little poxwalkers unit as a chaff going with the rest of the battle line

Can he?  I thought the Tallyman had no combat abilities.  The Blightspawn is an interesting idea, didn't consider him at all, but that's an interesting thought since while I like the Blightbringer, my foot squads aren't going to be advancing a lot since they are mostly all Rapid Fire weapons except for the two Blight Launchers.

I could rework the list and swap out the Noxious Blightbringer for the Foul Blightspawn and be at exactly 2k, or do that and then drop the Plague Surgeon and take a unit of 10 Poxwalkers as a chaff unit for the footslogging squads and be at 1995 points.

Edited by Wayniac, 22 September 2017 - 11:45 AM.

alexmarine28

alexmarine28

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts

Can he?  I thought the Tallyman had no combat abilities.  The Blightspawn is an interesting idea, didn't consider him at all, but that's an interesting thought since while I like the Blightbringer, my foot squads aren't going to be advancing a lot since they are mostly all Rapid Fire weapons except for the two Blight Launchers.

I could rework the list and swap out the Noxious Blightbringer for the Foul Blightspawn and be at exactly 2k, or do that and then drop the Plague Surgeon and take a unit of 10 Poxwalkers as a chaff unit for the footslogging squads and be at 1995 points.

Probably I made a little confusion with the Tallyman... (never post again without the codex in front of you...) he can't hold in the melee but he gives re-rolls on failed ones during the fight phase. either way he can be used in some way.

Wayniac

Wayniac

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 850 posts

What I am thinking now is dropping the Blightbringer for a Foul Blightspawn, drop the Surgeon, swap Deathguard for Blightlords with 4x axes, 1x flail and a blight launcher, however this leaves me with 54 points and I highly doubt the Blightlord kit will have enough combi-weapons (other than combi-bolters, of course) to equip the entire squad.

Checkmate77

Checkmate77

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 178 posts

You can make the Plague Surgeon better by giving him the Fugaris Helm which doubles his radius to 6" rather than 3"  This would give you some more flexibility with positioning and makes him a little more viable IMO.

For your close combat squad, have you considered putting them in a Rhino for extra mobility?  Would make it more likely that they will make it into combat and is only marginally more expensive than a 10-man Poxwalker screen (10 Poxwalkers = 60 & Rhino w/Combi Bolter & Havoc Launcher = 83)

alexmarine28

alexmarine28

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts

You can make the Plague Surgeon better by giving him the Fugaris Helm which doubles his radius to 6" rather than 3"  This would give you some more flexibility with positioning and makes him a little more viable IMO.

For your close combat squad, have you considered putting them in a Rhino for extra mobility?  Would make it more likely that they will make it into combat and is only marginally more expensive than a 10-man Poxwalker screen (10 Poxwalkers = 60 & Rhino w/Combi Bolter & Havoc Launcher = 83)

He already took a Rhino for them, look at the end of the list.

Not sure about changing the Deathshroud, there is already a CQC squad of 7+Characters. Teleporting them down as soon as the PM engage outside the Rhino with the Lord of Contagion should be enough...

Wayniac

Wayniac

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 850 posts

He already took a Rhino for them, look at the end of the list.

Not sure about changing the Deathshroud, there is already a CQC squad of 7+Characters. Teleporting them down as soon as the PM engage outside the Rhino with the Lord of Contagion should be enough...

That is kinda my dilemma at the moment.  The Deathshroud can carve through elite infantry, while the Blightlords really can not as well.  So 3x Deathshroud plus a Lord of Contagion should be able to make mincemeat out of things like Primaris, Terminators, maybe even vehicles, which I would otherwise struggle with in combat.

Checkmate77

Checkmate77

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 178 posts

good catch, missed that

Wayniac

Wayniac

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +