Pop goes the monkey shoulders

JJD

I have posted this same topic in painting and modelling but as I am specifically interested in DA icons I think it's worth posting here too.

I like embossed icons for my space marine shoulder pads.

As such I bought some of the pop goes the monkey assault icon mkvii shoulders for my assault marines and I am very happy with them. I used them in conjunction with GW DA shoulders and they fit very well. The assault icon barely protrudes out beyond the rim of the shoulder pad.

med_gallery_74577_9223_490489.jpg

I am looking to get some tactical and assault icons and I have seen the new curved icons. These are obviously much better value getting 60 only slightly more than the price of 10 full shoulders.

So my question is are they as good. I have noticed a few examples on face book of the new icons and they seem to protrude much further out from the pad. I dont know if this is just the more complex chapter designs or if it is the full range.

Can you let me know if you have used the curved tactical and assault icons and if possible share some pictures.

Edited by JJD

The free shipping on shape ways convinced me to make an Order. I went for the assault and tactical curved emblems as the value was too good. I still need to finish my assault squad my two razor backs and finish my black night squad so based on current progress expect an update with the pads some time in 2019.

Super. When they arrive and you have them mounted on shoulderpads and ideally both marines new and old, would you post the pictures? I wonder how raised they would be.

As well completely forgot, there's another shop on Shapeways for DA related stuff - Plokoone's bits.

Unfortunately he's no longer producing new designs and his squad design pads are full shoulderpad only, but seem interesting as well:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/plokoone-s-bits?section=-Numbers&s=0

And, the best in his range in my opinion are vehicle Icons:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KKEUZ6T7B/vehicle-icons-with-numbers?optionId=62410670

You got me curious about this store that i did not know about sadly. A couple weeks ago I ordered from GW a few DA upgrade sets for the shoulder pads with chapter icon, and this stuff is so much easier on the wallet (10 euros for 10 pads  vs 18 euros for 60 icons )

A shame the assault and devastator ones also come in 60 packs. Half that would do just fine. I did go and look for reviews on yotube for them and found one video that actually has DA chapter insignias on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpVZLV2ADN4

You got me curious about this store that i did not know about sadly. A couple weeks ago I ordered from GW a few DA upgrade sets for the shoulder pads with chapter icon, and this stuff is so much easier on the wallet (10 euros for 10 pads  vs 18 euros for 60 icons )

A shame the assault and devastator ones also come in 60 packs. Half that would do just fine. I did go and look for reviews on yotube for them and found one video that actually has DA chapter insignias on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpVZLV2ADN4

Chapter insignias are fine, I am sporting his Consecrator shoulders etc. So there is definitely no discussion about quality. What I am seeing is that those "insignias" only and not full shoulderpads are a bit more massive (logically as they need to self-support in the creation) and I am a bit worried that this will just "stick" out of the model too much. For the tactical arrows and numbers I will in the end go with tranfers I think, as most of my shoulders are sadly already mounted and if I put the unit designation symbol on I cannot place the squad number on it. So.

Well, if they indeed are too thick i guess after being glued in place they could be sanded down a bit. I ordered a few, will see when they arrive.

As I was only going for the assault and tactical emblems I had much the same thought. I will probably still use the GW DA shoulders to keep everyone uniform.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting good pics! The relief detail is too thick for my taste. This thickness of this relief detail is comparable to that on the older Ravenwing/DA accessory sprue. I prefer the more subtle relief detail that the newer starter set Ravenwing models and Black Knights models have instead, and so I will pass on these.

It's almost as thick as the pad itself, should be excellent protection for the shoulders! The Devastator-icon seems a bit oversized as well. Too bad, seems like I have to stick to the complete pads, thanks for posting Aradiel!

Edited by GreyRavenC

Personally i think the worst is the chapter icon, being more detailed than the more stylized wings of the oficial icon, that makes it quite thick, however it is something that i am willing to let pass specially considering the price compared to the plastic pack sold by GW (there is also the forge world shoulders and in those the symbol seems to protrude a lot as well and they seem very similar to the ones in the MkIII shoulders). A shame i only discovered this after ordering a few DA upgrade packs from GW

As for the squad markings, the thickness problem can be solved by sanding them down after gluing them to the shoulders. As for painting squad numbers that is always an issue with sculpted detail. One could paint the number inside the dev one  as it is quite big, or above the tactical one instead of over it. The biggest problem is the assault one.

Ah well, as far as i am concerned it is still a better alternative to free handing squad markings and chapter symbols in a entire company. :whistling:

They don't include them in the SM-kits anymore, you have to order them from the GW-store. The sculpted pads are a nice alternative

Or make your own Decals. As Pop does not have the Consecrators badges anymore and I had no way to turn the Dark Imperium into the profiled shoulderpads by adding them, I turned to decals. And I am quite liking it. Will most likely reserve Consecrators shoulderpads for "standard" marine company and sculpted reliefs for even Primaris HQs, but rest of my Primaris company will get transfers only.

Edited by Chmur

What?! They had them last time I checked. Damn, I should have bought some while I had the chance.

Edit: Pop Goes The Monkey still has the pads I need for Mk2, Mk3 and Mk4, which ones are you referring to?

He has the pads alright - I am refering to shoulder insignia that were never created, and even the old sets of flat and round vehicle insignias are gone. I am currently making BlueStuff masters from the 3D prints to make green stuff moulded insignias on my things. 

Whilst these do look good, there are a few issues with them for me:

> Too thick. Even half thickness would be pushing it for me, but that's about as thick as I'd want them. Basically, level with the shoulder pad rim at most.

> Insignia are all close, but not quite "right". I think it's the arrow heads though, as the Devastator symbol looks good to me.

> Material/print lines. They look very "3D printed" to me, even on the edges. I suspect that cleaning them up would be tricky/delicate work to get them all looking perfect. (Happy to be told/proven otherwise though!)

Thinking about this some more, could squad insignia be done in brass etch? Or would the pad curve be too severe to get a nice fit?

Whilst these do look good, there are a few issues with them for me:

> Too thick. Even half thickness would be pushing it for me, but that's about as thick as I'd want them. Basically, level with the shoulder pad rim at most.

> Insignia are all close, but not quite "right". I think it's the arrow heads though, as the Devastator symbol looks good to me.

> Material/print lines. They look very "3D printed" to me, even on the edges. I suspect that cleaning them up would be tricky/delicate work to get them all looking perfect. (Happy to be told/proven otherwise though!)

Thinking about this some more, could squad insignia be done in brass etch? Or would the pad curve be too severe to get a nice fit?

Thickness is a issue as being separate parts they can not rely on the shoulders for structural integrity until after being glued in place. It is something that can be solved by sanding them down after gluing them (and that can be tricky if using them in already painted models). The store sells sculpted shoulders but i have no idea on how much the detail is raised on those.

I did sand down the couple first icons i used but the result of them "as is" does not bother me so i just glue them in place and call it done.

The pieces have no print lines at all in the "front". There are some on the sides, most notably on the devastator icons.

As everything, it is a matter of personal taste. For me, the alternative is painting squad markings and chapter icons on more than a company worth of models. I will take these as they are :happy.:

All of these below were glued "as is"

gallery_14851_13545_639314.jpg

gallery_14851_13545_256712.jpg

gallery_14851_13545_476810.jpg

gallery_14851_13545_567873.jpg

gallery_14851_13545_467810.jpg

gallery_14851_13545_740199.jpg

Print lines are visible in this last one, that is all there is.

I’ve ordered some curved squad markings. I think the thickness is an issue but nothing a bit of sanding won’t solve once glued in place.

This is a image of the full shoulder pad moulds for those that are interested. I’m very happy with them.

gallery_74577_9223_140780.jpeg

With my dark vengeance marines, raven wing, black knights and terminators all having moulded shoulder pads I wanted moulded shoulders for the rest of the army. It would look wrong to switch to transfers.

Edited by JJD