Colour Scheme Assistance

FoxLGV

Hopefully this is the right section, anyone mind chipping in to help finalise this colour scheme?

I'm starting a Primaris project, just need to hammer down details to get started. Eventually I hope to do a full IA entry to get help trimming down the lore into something cleaner, but C&C on the scheme will help finalise my vision of the final product before finalising the lore side of things and presenting it.

Thanks in advance, I'm eager to get started on modelling and painting, but there's a lot of work to be done to make sure I get it done right.

EDIT: altered face colouring to more suit traditional colour markings, thanks Bjorn.

EDIT 2: In a spot I'm comfortable with thanks to the help of the forum. Of course I'm still open to suggestions and insight, but I'm moving onto the next phase of the Chapter's development.
Edited by FoxLGV

Why is blue "Technical" instead of red (the color of Mars, traditionally worn by Techmarines)? Blue is traditionally worn by Librarians.

That's a really good thought. I put Blue with Technical mostly because I don't see Engineers looking to frontline, and red is a traditionally aggressive colour; but you're right it would be confusing to just reverse them. I don't traditionally run many (if any) psykers, so it didn't really cross me mind; thanks for the nudge.

One of the (real life) practical things about Space Marine colours and markings is that it helps both you and your opponent tell what's what and who's who on the table. Gold faces on officers is great, unless the model is facing away from you for example.

However, if you don't want to use big arrows and such, other Chapters like Blood Angels and Space Wolves have some good examples of alternative markings. Another idea might be to have a look at the (very) old Rogue Trader iconography.

One of the (real life) practical things about Space Marine colours and markings is that it helps both you and your opponent tell what's what and who's who on the table. Gold faces on officers is great, unless the model is facing away from you for example.

However, if you don't want to use big arrows and such, other Chapters like Blood Angels and Space Wolves have some good examples of alternative markings. Another idea might be to have a look at the (very) old Rogue Trader iconography.

Tabletop identification is a really strong point, and while I'm not exactly sure how I'll execute it, I'll dig into various chapters and homebrews for inspiration. More to come on this, thanks for the tip.

Edited by FoxLGV

If you don't want to use the arrows, there are a couple of pages of variants in the old Insignium Astartes. My favourite uses heraldic field division (OK, and a skull):

YrS2aOE.png

The idea here is that you divide the field with the company colour and display the squad number over it - although if I wanted to display squad numbers at all, I'd make them much smaller and adjust their location.

Obviously, this only works as-is if you want to use company colours, or if you can find an alternative that suits you such as a colour for each squad type.

Otherwise I also like the outline version shown as an example for Raven Guard in the current Codex Space Marines:

QhWpL3u.png

You could even simplify it further with single thin lines: a vertical stripe for battleline, a saltire for close support, a chevron or just a diagonal line for fire support, and a cross for veteran.

You can also skip it entirely, considering that their equipment will make it clear enough what you're fielding, especially with Primaris Space Marines.

I recently read an old White Dwarf article which stated that Ultramarines on deployment paint over all of their company and squad heraldry in solid blue so as to deny information to the enemy.

Edited by mhacdebhandia

Excellent post by mhacdebhandia! :smile.:

I would also point out that in the Codex companies are marked by a number (1-10), colours, and/or heraldic fields too:

img_2406.jpg

These do not have to be represented on shoulder pads either - you could have the markings on a kneepad for example

A good example of this is the variation used by the Dark Angels (who are not strictly adherent to the Codex, but nonetheless still use most of the markings). The DA typically display company markings on the kneepads:

http://www.40kforums.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=12382&d=1353472675

If you compare these with the ones above, you can see that they are mostly similar in arrangement (with 6th and 7th company fields swapped over).

So if you want a fairly low-key approach to markings, you could use the company field overlaid with a squad number on the kneepad for example.

Great point. Company colour or heraldry in combination with squad number is technically enough information to identify even a fully codex-compliant squad's role, given that GW always seems to portray the first six squads in a Battle Company as the Battleline squads, for instance.

If you don't want to use the arrows, there are a couple of pages of variants in the old Insignium Astartes. My favourite uses heraldic field division (OK, and a skull):

The idea here is that you divide the field with the company colour and display the squad number over it - although if I wanted to display squad numbers at all, I'd make them much smaller and adjust their location.

Obviously, this only works as-is if you want to use company colours, or if you can find an alternative that suits you such as a colour for each squad type.

Otherwise I also like the outline version shown as an example for Raven Guard in the current Codex Space Marines:

You could even simplify it further with single thin lines: a vertical stripe for battleline, a saltire for close support, a chevron or just a diagonal line for fire support, and a cross for veteran.

You can also skip it entirely, considering that their equipment will make it clear enough what you're fielding, especially with Primaris Space Marines.

I recently read an old White Dwarf article which stated that Ultramarines on deployment paint over all of their company and squad heraldry in solid blue so as to deny information to the enemy.

Excellent post by mhacdebhandia! :smile.:

I would also point out that in the Codex companies are marked by a number (1-10), colours, and/or heraldic fields too:

These do not have to be represented on shoulder pads either - you could have the markings on a kneepad for example

A good example of this is the variation used by the Dark Angels (who are not strictly adherent to the Codex, but nonetheless still use most of the markings). The DA typically display company markings on the kneepads:

If you compare these with the ones above, you can see that they are mostly similar in arrangement (with 6th and 7th company fields swapped over).

So if you want a fairly low-key approach to markings, you could use the company field overlaid with a squad number on the kneepad for example.

Okay so, I think I've finally settled into my chosen direction.

I'd like to thank you all for the wonderful suggestions, it's given me a lot more material to dig into. I did some research on the nature and purpose of combat insignia's in general, toying around with 'combat' (greyed out) versions of various schemes positioned on different areas of the armour. I think the closest I came to adopting one was with Raven Guard outlines and squad numbers printed in the small corners of the shoulder pad, but in the end the notion of painting over heraldry in combat was just too potent to ignore.

In 40k advanced sensor technology would make detailed photographs of markings at long range a very real potential threat, and any information you give your enemy is valuable. Identifying squads can reveal your numbers, identifying troop type can reveal capabilities; any amount of information greater than nothing puts your at a disadvantage. Flashy shock troops yes, but indistinguishable flashy shock troops seems the way to go. 

Of course there are some exceptions, where the risks of identification are overshadowed by the advantages (such as the case with medical staff, where when you need them you need them right that second); but in general this seems to be the way to go.

Thanks everyone for the insight, it's been a great help. Can't wait for similar assistance when the lore side comes around.