My first attempt at weathering

rayvn26

This is my first attempt at weathering. I decided to do a battle wagon from the Bad Moons. I drew inspiration from an Edsel my grandmother had in her backyard that had been there for Emperor knows how long. Anyways, lemme know what you think and what I could do to improve on it. Thank you.

IhRmmh7.jpg

I6wvU9Y.jpg

Y7fWOQ0.jpg

it's a Demonic Yellow base with Gryphone Sepia wash then Devlan Mud wash around all the rivets and all the drips and then a light rust powder all over with a dark earth powder added to the wheels and tracks. 

Putting aside that it's a xenos breed <hack, spit>, I'd say you did an excellent job on the weathering.

I think if you were to expand this army, you'd find that you could take these techniques and apply them across the army and get a very pleasing ramshackle look across all the figures.

The only thing I think you might consider adding is some paint chipping. Right now, the vehicle looks dirty and used. A great effect. That being said, we have also come to expect some abuse by Orks towards their mechanical creations, "Won't start? Den it it wi da 'amma till it duz."

A light application of some sponge technique with a dark brown/primer red color, lightly applied to some of the edges would be icing on the cake. Just a little though, less is more.

Also...how did you apply your rust powders? I'm always curious how others stabilize them on their models, so what kind of "fixative" did you use?

Excellent work, I'd look forward to seeing  more models in this army <I didn't say that> ;)

I applied the powders using a makeup sponge applicator then fixed it with 93% Isopropyl Alcohol and a brush using a capillary action and let flow where it may. Not sure if it is the correct technique or not but it seemed a logical solution. I think I need to get a hold of some rough sponges to do the chipping effect though, but I see what you mean. I have plans on doing more orks but I'm focusing on my Blood Angels right now. I just wanted to try it out to see how it works and get some feedback. Seeing how the Orks are a ramshackle type of army being messy and even messing up on them is ok a lot of the time the Battle Wagon seemed to be a better choice to practice on than say a Landraider would.

Thank you for the feedback and the ideas. I'm open to any and all constructive criticism everyone has. I see it as a way to improve my painting techniques even further. 

I applied the powders using a makeup sponge applicator then fixed it with 93% Isopropyl Alcohol and a brush using a capillary action and let flow where it may.

I use a brush to apply the powders, but fix it with alcohol as well. :thumbsup:

I've recently acquired some Vallejo Pigment Binder, thinking that I would get a better effect from a "legit" tool, but initial attempts haven't been as satisfying as alcohol.

Cheers,

I applied the powders using a makeup sponge applicator then fixed it with 93% Isopropyl Alcohol and a brush using a capillary action and let flow where it may.

I use a brush to apply the powders, but fix it with alcohol as well. :thumbsup:

I've recently acquired some Vallejo Pigment Binder, thinking that I would get a better effect from a "legit" tool, but initial attempts haven't been as satisfying as alcohol.

Cheers,

I've been looking at Mig and his weathering goodies, really want to try some of grease and grime stuff, water spots effects and spilled fuel looks especially interesting. I may apply some some of the techniques to my marines, they can't always be fresh from the assembly line, right?