With an eye to the past I look try to divine the future.

Raven1

Is it unreasonable to think we might get multiple psychic disciplines? 

We'll almost certainly get the Dark Hereticus AND a Tzeentch discipline, but I highly doubt we'll get anything else.

And I personally think our Aspiring sorcerers will know Smite AND one power from the Tzeentch discipline.

Lastly, I shall use my third eye to predict our future Legion trait... It will be called..... "Chosen of Tzeentch". It'll allow us to re-roll one die when manifesting Psychic powers.

That isnt the worst Legion Trait, but it isnt good by any means either. It impacts a small % of models while every other legion trait grants all models in the army the same buff. I'm not saying that wouldnt be a great stratagem (3CP: all sorcerers re-roll a single die for psychic tests this psychic phase), I just dont think it would benefit our army as a whole. What if someone wanted to roll a Tsons army with nothing but Tzaangors and 2 sorcerers as HQ... 

If it was a trait it would be fat more useful then a stratagem. You would almost never perils since you can reroll that die and the chance to get the extra d3 on smite is pretty good too.

On paper I have a Tzaangor rhino rush list, mostly as a would this work thing but I might actually go for it just for fun.

What if someone wanted to roll a Tsons army with nothing but Tzaangors and 2 sorcerers as HQ... 

What if someone wanted to roll a shooty Renegade Chapter or World Eaters ? :)

Anyway, I was just wishlisting, I hope our Legion trait will be a bit more universal. But I really think that our psychic phase needs to become a lot more reliable and it cannot be in the form of Stratagems, because everyone already has access to a re-roll stratagem.

Grey Knights have a protection against Perils, we need one too. Anything else is just bonus really.

Maybe the legion tactic would be 'power of the rubric' or something like that. Possibly buffing both psychic abilities like the aforementioned single die reroll and doing something else for all models with 'all is dust'. Many of the other legion/chapter/regimental 'tactics' are two part so I don't think this is unfeasable.

Edit: Which would make rubricae/sorcerer helbrutes an even more appealing option!!

GW, MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Had some discussion within my group about what TS might get. First, I will detail some issues the developers might have faced when designing our codex:

First, I see a lot of people on the innerwebz saying that TS should be given ways to cast the same spell twice. While I get that, I don't think it will happen because the developers likely want to avoid redundancy. For example, you can already used the same power more than once per army........ It's called Open/Narrative play. In other words, GW wouldn't provide that because technically it can already be done. Secondly, a lot of the Thousand Sons background and fluff details things that could both be done in Stratagem form and psychic power form! An example of this is teleportation or summoning stuff. 

So, I present what my group has come up with and I hope we get something like it:

-Masters of Dark Fate (Legion rule): Rubric Marines and Scarab Occult Terminators in a Thousand Sons army never take morale tests and psykers in a Thousand Sons army do not suffer Perils of the Warp.

Warlord Traits (we thought this could be the first opportunity for the 5 cults thing)

-Pyrae: Smite does 1 additional Mortal Wound

-Corvidae: While the Warlord is alive, roll a d6 for each Command Point your opponent spends. On a 4+, you immediately gain a Command Point. (Ahriman?)

-Atheneaen: Each time an enemy unit targets a Thousand Sons unit within 3" of the Warlord, it must subtract 1 from all To Hit rolls.

-Raptora: Warlord adds 1 to Invulnerable Saves

-Pavoni: At the beginning of each of your turns, Warlord regains a lost wound.

-Master of Sorcery: Knows one additional Psychic Power (Magnus?)

Thousand Sons Psychic Powers (another opportunity for the 5 cults, but still need to be different than the warlord traits!)

1. Bolt of Change: As per Tzeentch discipline, but Warp Charge 6

2. Pyrae: Warp Charge 5, 18", roll d6 for each enemy model in unit and suffer a Mortal Wound for each 6.

3. Corvidae: Weaver of Fates as per Codex: CSM

4. Raptora: Warp Charge 5/7, Friendly Thousand Sons units within 3/6" of the psyker count as being in cover because of Kine Shield. Declare which version is used before rolling.

5. Atheneaen: Puppetmaster type power, Warp Charge 7, 18" range(controls enemy unit in shooting)

6. Pavoni: Warp Charge 5, 18", Thousand Sons infantry unit gains +1 Attack and +1 Strength

As you can imagine, the problem with the above is that people would be like "well, you'll have Pavoni Warlords using Corvidae spells" and the like, which is why I want to stress that the writers have a pretty serious issue on their hand with making us powerful yet fluffy.

Some Stratagems (we considered things that are ALWAYS mentioned in the fluff, so might be more ritual than psychic in nature..):

-The Twisting Path of Fate: 3 CPs. Needs to be powerful as :censored:. Thinking gain d3 Victory Points.

-Flames of Tzeentch: 1 CP. Beginning of Shooting Phase. Add 1 to the Wound rolls for Warpflamers, Hand Warpflamers and Heavy Warpflamers.

-Tzeentch's Legion: 1 CP. Beginning of Psychic Phase. Add 1 to the result of psychic tests and add 6" to the range of psychic powers this phase.

-Counter Spell: 2 CP. Use immediately when your psyker denies an enemy power. The enemy psyker suffers Perils of the Warp.

-Hexagrammic Wards: 2 CP. Beginning of Movement Phase. Thousand Sons infantry unit may re-roll failed saving throws.

-The Braying Herds: 1 CP. Charge Phase. Tzaangors that Advanced this turn can still charge and re-roll charge distance.

-Webway Walkers: 1 CP. During deployment. For each CP spent, a Thousand Sons infantry unit can be deployed anywhere not within 9" of enemy unit.

-Daemonologist: 1 CP. Used after character summons demons. Same character can attempt to summon again!

-Master of Rubricae: 1 CP. If a psyker is on the table, use at beginning of Movement Phase to return d3 Rubric Marines or one Scarab Occult Terminator to a unit!

Relics:

-Astral Grimoire is easy. Target unit within 6" gains Fly until the beginning of next Movement Phase.

-

-

-

-

-

Tbh, while I do like what we came up with above, I think GW will surprise us with some really sick stuff...

Thoughts? 

Arch; very nice concept. 

However one thing;  every book so far has had characters with various "auras" added in some way shape or form, no exceptions that I am aware of. 

As such I would imagine that "exalted sorcerers" will probably have auras that cover the 5 cults.  Its pure conjecture on my part but a very easy writing decision and it wouldn't require GW to make any models for us if that is the case (assuming they want to ad-mech/Grey knight us) 

If they do make more all bets are off in that regard ;-) 

TSons models I could see in the future:

A cheap squad based flyer (unit of 3?) similar to those on Prospero.

A TSons Dreadnought.

A Rubric Havoc type squad on discs.

I personally think we'll see the auras on the Exalts as a solution to cult flavors. The aura will affect all squads within X" and any Rubric troop can be effected by more than one.

Agreed! The benefit of Lord of the thousand sons is negligible at best even before you factor in how situational it is.

It might have benefit if you are running a ton of tzaangors, but even then odds are you will be passing one additional saving throw per 20 rolled. We need something better.

Considering how powerful some other auras are and that armies can stack different ones (death guard), I don't think re-rolling all failed invuls would be too much.

considering we have Magnus they probably wont give us something *that* extreme. heres hoping for exalted sorcerer auras.  Considering how varied that kit is I cant see us getting another "sorcerer" kit, but death guard got FIVE elite slot characters so maybe we will get 1-2 or something. I wouldn't be to shocked either way. 

As for a "rubric dread" I would say we have a decent chance of getting *something* even if its just a single kit, considering how limited our options are (we have 1 fast attack slot! lol

I wont complain either way as we have a good selection (if limited) now. Thousand Sons are huge money makers for GW, so thats a good point in our favor for getting something as it would be an auto-sell to most Thousand Sons players especially if it fills a major gap. 

TSons models I could see in the future:

A cheap squad based flyer (unit of 3?) similar to those on Prospero.

A TSons Dreadnought.

A Rubric Havoc type squad on discs.

I personally think we'll see the auras on the Exalts as a solution to cult flavors. The aura will affect all squads within X" and any Rubric troop can be effected by more than one.

I would like to see a Rubric or Sorcerer based dreadnought.

Thousand Sons are huge money makers for GW

Im just not sure how true that is, I would accept more popular than ever for sure, but most of popular armies including Tzeentch are Brimstone horrors from what I have seen.

I also didn't expect the exalted sorcerers to have mutations.. but they do.

Right!  I guess that's what you get when making a pact with Tzeentch.  He alters the deal

I have no idea. I don't think they would add silver towers. That's more likely an artillery strike via stratagem.

I think "new unit" is more likely. Rubric Dreadnought? Just buy the Helbrute kit.....................

I would absolutely bet on Silver Tower artillery being a stratagem

I would much rather prefer that to what I heard proposed by one person a while back- that the army itself need be dedicated to a single cult to get a benefit (like Admech forge worlds or SM chapters.. NO THANKS)

If we get cults as an army wide rule it would almost certainly be like a SM Chapter, IMO.

I have seen so many people that own thousand sons models for one reason or another, Rubric marines and Scarab occult, plenty of people in my local meta at least. (which locally includes several game stores) 

If you are in some super-competitive meta you will obviously see brimstones due to them being to-efficient points wise. I expect GW will nerf them (again) in the future.  However in most of the metas I have seen people are playing "Thousand Sons" not "Tzeentch" or they mix and match so you have some Thousand Sons and some Tzeentch daemons where you would expect to see both. I personally only use the Changeling on occasion, and thats only if I am playing Magnus and Daemon Engines against a hyper-competitive jerk, when everyone at my meta knows im a casual player. 

I am guessing when I say this; but when I looked at the website several times since the release of the Thousand Sons line and Rubrics, Scarab Occult, and Exalteds all sold out for extensive time periods after release (few months at least, I checked after December 2016 well into February of 2017, several times) so I am of course using conjecture but it looks like they sell well enough where I am certain they are one of the most popular "chaos marine" groups (the new kits obviously help tremendously) 

ya know Cults as an army-wide thing I could see as a "possibility" but id say its more likely they end up as auras. 

I mean look at how easy it is;

Corvidae (re roll ones to hit) 

Pyrae (re roll ones to wound)

Pavoni (5+ or 6+ Ignore wounds type rule)

Raptora (Counts as in cover, or possibly something like it, cover based, or something with blocking shots)

Athenean (this is the only one that I find confusing, dont know what to do with them)  

It would make more sense that a sorcerer picks a cult, belongs to that cult, can still cast whatever they pick for spells, but the aura bonus effects units. 

And if you look at Death Guard.....they have exactly 5 "elite" aura slots + characters / hq slots, So I would honestly bet money that our equivocal will be "you mark a sorcerer with a given cult, that cult gives an aura buff matching the cult" as if you take these aura buffs and add any other innate  buffs (magnus and Ahriman/current aura as an example) we would have about the same amount as DG and a fair amount of variety to our lists all of  a sudden. 

I would love GW to give the different disciplines certain abilities but I just can't see it for 40k.

I am very curious how they will treat Magnus. I still like him but I've seen him being used very differently in my meta, where he has become a massive fire magnet for the Tzeentch super birds. Of course this is always surrounded by the same (boring) recipe of Brimstones and Changeling for -1.

I often thought a cool ability for Ahriman would have been using his kind of fate/prescience ability and make it so whenever an opponent uses a Command Point, on a 5+ he would gain one for the Thousand Sons. Sort of showing his ability to know what the opponent was planning....

I thought it would never happen as a mechanic and then Astra got it.

Archived