With an eye to the past I look try to divine the future.

Raven1

Has anyone else heard the rumor that Chapter Approved at the end of the year will give army traits, stratagems, etc, to any army without a Codex to help even the gap until their Codex does drop? I have seen this but have no idea how reliable it is. It would be nice, though, if we don't get a Codex before December, if true.

I do agree with the earlier post, I wholeheartedly believe brimstones will get hammered with a nerf, I don't think they intended them to function as they currently do.

Has anyone else heard the rumor that Chapter Approved at the end of the year will give army traits, stratagems, etc, to any army without a Codex to help even the gap until their Codex does drop? I have seen this but have no idea how reliable it is. It would be nice, though, if we don't get a Codex before December, if true.

I do agree with the earlier post, I wholeheartedly believe brimstones will get hammered with a nerf, I don't think they intended them to function as they currently do.

Even without this being a rumor (I havent heard either way) it is a definitely logical assertion.  Generals Handbook #2 is the same exact concept, all armies without modernized codexs for age of sigmar got a full roster update (points update, rules update, strategems, and traits) for their armies to hold them over till they get an actual codex release so certain armies arent left in the dust. 

I would imagine this is a good guess at whats coming for any codexs that are pushed back. 

I'm pretty sure it was an announcement when they first revealed the return of Chapter Approved.

I think it specified that any faction that won't be expecting a Codex in recent time will see adjustments/rules. I personally don't think it'll reveal much for anyone though as so many things will change (balance, new rules, etc.) we won't know who is next for releases.

The new photo also kinda looks like excessive trim on either a sword or a weapon. I'd hope it was ours but I'm also greedy lol

I think the releases for Death Guard, AdMech and AM clearly show that we can and should expect more from our Codex than minor adjustments. The difference in complexity and power level make them "true" 8th edition codices, and it shows that that's the way GW wants to move forward.

Doing it any other way would just be suicide at this point, so I think a host of buffs and army-wide rules is a given.

Cool, another publication to buy in order to keep up!

Wait.

Right, not excited about the new Chapter Approved, maybe I should focus on the fact at least GW is proactively adding to and balancing the game.

Brimstone horrors will probably get merged again, I would personally just make them an optional add on to a pink or blue horror squad instead of buying just brimstone horror squads.

If GW added in the missing stratagems, warlord traits, etc for each army that doesn't have a codex that would be great so each army doesnt have to wait for who knows how long to get an update.

"If GW added in the missing stratagems, warlord traits, etc for each army that doesn't have a codex that would be great so each army doesnt have to wait for who knows how long to get an update."

This seems good, but if done, what does a codex provide other than pretty pictures? I'm assuming that when a codex does drop these rules would then be obsolete.

Also, we would know how long to wait if GW provided an approximate release date like Q1 2018 or February 2018.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Yep, you can't lose by painting even if you rarely use the model. You get better, you get more options, and you get a sense of accomplishment.

I tend to be more motivated when I enjoy playing. It is a virtuous cycle. Just keep making the game fun GW and I'll keep painting.

I assume anything added in Chapter Approved would still be limited, just enough to give each army a bump, and only a few options as far as doctrines and the like.

But brimstones I feel certain will get nerfed of rearranged in some way. They will do something so that pink horrors are the first type you reach for.

I assume anything added in Chapter Approved would still be limited, just enough to give each army a bump, and only a few options as far as doctrines and the like.

But brimstones I feel certain will get nerfed of rearranged in some way. They will do something so that pink horrors are the first type you reach for.

easy way to do that is to have brimstones be crazy expensive on their own but a cheap upgrade if you have a full squad of pink horrors methinks.

Simplest solution to Horror spam is to force Pinks first, then allow split to Blue or Brim, and if Blue then Brim.

I realize this may not be ideal for many players out there but it's the only way I can see it working. No other army has that cheap and effective chaff/fodder unit (excluding conscripts) so it seems appropriate.

The fix to brimstones isn't making them more expensive or worse, it's making Thousand Sons rules better with a dang Codex so that it's not just Magnus, Ahriman, brimstones, and Sicarans as a "Tzeentch" detachment. 

I've seen 5 of those armies from Pensacola FL, through Fort Walton Beach and to Mississippi.

"I play Thousand Sons"

lol

The fix to brimstones isn't making them more expensive or worse, it's making Thousand Sons rules better with a dang Codex so that it's not just Magnus, Ahriman, brimstones, and Sicarans as a "Tzeentch" detachment.

I've seen 5 of those armies from Pensacola FL, through Fort Walton Beach and to Mississippi.

"I play Thousand Sons"

lol

While I agree with you regarding the importance of Dust Bunnies to consider yourself TSons, how can you without a Heretic Astartes in the lot?, I disagree regarding adjusting Horrors.

Taking Horrors is a gimmick for any Chaos competitive army. Many legions, for example, with a Tzeentch detatchment makes a pretty competitive list using Horrors for field advantage.

OBSec blob with 4++ save, 1/3 chance to wound anything while denying the oppositions save entirely for an equal amount of points. No other faction has that tool, or the cheap HQ's that back it up.

Conscripts are the Horde offensive version of Horrors IMO.

Either way it's tremendously important for TSons to become competitive we'll need a force multiplier. An aura and single power per cult would be a great start to assist the faction. Maybe the aura would be defensive and the power be offensive?

Can't be very much longer now!

Edit: Why not have Horrors cost the same no matter the type? Equal stat line and rules obviously. Still effective but serves the intended purpose of the unit IMO.

The bright side is that since I picked up some more rubrics and a predator I can focus on painting them to match the rest of my stuff in time for the Codex because I do want to run 3 units of Rubrics.

Seriously? I am having so much trouble finishing my second 10 man squad since they seem to have relaxed on the weapon choice in smaller squads. It's a tough squad to paint well! I look forward to seeing yours. I was always amazed how fast you good do them to such quality.

The bright side is that since I picked up some more rubrics and a predator I can focus on painting them to match the rest of my stuff in time for the Codex because I do want to run 3 units of Rubrics.

Seriously? I am having so much trouble finishing my second 10 man squad since they seem to have relaxed on the weapon choice in smaller squads. It's a tough squad to paint well! I look forward to seeing yours. I was always amazed how fast you good do them to such quality.

I think my hatred of the old miniatures and GW's neglect was what helped me paint the 2016 kits so quickly.

My core list that I dream about for the Codex is Ahriman, Exalted, 5 Scarabs, 3 units of rubrics, 2 rhinos, predator, and then wiggle room for whatever else we can do at 2k.

A single unit of rubrics in my deployment zone while everything else works up has REALLY been a speed bump for a variety of armies.

I think my hatred of the old miniatures and GW's neglect was what helped me paint the 2016 kits so quickly.

My core list that I dream about for the Codex is Ahriman, Exalted, 5 Scarabs, 3 units of rubrics, 2 rhinos, predator, and then wiggle room for whatever else we can do at 2k.

A single unit of rubrics in my deployment zone while everything else works up has REALLY been a speed bump for a variety of armies.

My target for 2K is similar, except I'm planning on a daemon prince instead of the exalted sorc, but using full squads of rubrics. 2-3 rhinos, a forgefiend and a defiler, or something else as heavies. Toss in a spawn or two. Not because they're great, but because... It's TSons :)

Not gonna be a very strong list, but I don't play highly competitive games anyways.

So with Sisters being rumored for early 2018 release, with some decently compelling buy-in from prominent community members, it has got me thinking.

What if TSons Codex is a tandum release with SoB?

They are antithesis of one another, models have been released during similar timelines (ie. initial TSons and Triumveriate/Sisters of Silence), and their stories tend to involve one another. A major roll out of Sisters with a unit/codex for TSons would make for a great kick-off to 2018.

I know SoB are cursed, and throwing TSons in that mix could seem like a stretch, but I feel like it would make sense. Both sets of rules (if focused on Psychic vs. Anti-Psychic) would have had to have been written with each other in mind.

I'll be curious to see what TSons is dual released with. Space Wolves just seems too obvious.

Space Wolves just seems too obvious.

So is the possibility that they will be like "bruh, I know that you JUST spent tons of money and got Wrath of Magnus at the beginning of January, but here's another book almost a year later with cards to buy! You're welcome"

December release would be a blessing and an insult at the same time. Fitting of Tzeentch. 

December release would be a blessing and an insult at the same time. Fitting of Tzeentch. 

While I too would like that to happen, I do not see it as being too realistic. GW said in June, that they would release around 10 codices before Christmas. 8 of those are already official, more or less, with SM, CSM, DG, GK, Mechanicum, AM, Eldar and Tyranids having been released or having release dates made official or leaked from WD. That leaves "around" 2 slots open, 1 of which of course COULD be taken by TSons, but I just don't see the army as that big of a moneymaker, that GW will want to put that ahead of a lot of other armies that have bigger player bases (orks, tau, necrons, SW, DA, BA for instance).

While I too would like that to happen, I do not see it as being too realistic. GW said in June, that they would release around 10 codices before Christmas. 8 of those are already official, more or less, with SM, CSM, DG, GK, Mechanicum, AM, Eldar and Tyranids having been released or having release dates made official or leaked from WD. That leaves "around" 2 slots open, 1 of which of course COULD be taken by TSons, but I just don't see the army as that big of a moneymaker, that GW will want to put that ahead of a lot of other armies that have bigger player bases (orks, tau, necrons, SW, DA, BA for instance).

Yea I hate to say it but I think you're right.

What I notice is they have a pattern of releasing a 'strong' or 'popular' or 'money maker' and then a secondary dex within the same week or two.... So I could see us being the 'secondary' option for something else.

I'd like to remind you folks that GW specifically mentioned that Thousand Sons Codex is "coming soon" and by the way that was before we had an official list of the initial codexes to come first.

That seems like a pretty damn specific thing to mention right during the 8th drop. They were commenting a LOT about it.

I'd like to remind you folks that GW specifically mentioned that Thousand Sons Codex is "coming soon" and by the way that was before we had an official list of the initial codexes to come first.

That seems like a pretty damn specific thing to mention right during the 8th drop. They were commenting a LOT about it.

And what happened when you kept asking Arch? Lol

Archived