With an eye to the past I look try to divine the future.

Raven1

I am holding out for Holiday hope myself that we get an xmas release though am not doing much playing and I don't mind the extra time to paint if its not a year end release.  I am about 2/3 done with a 10 man of rubircs now.  

I am going for 3 boxes but plan on two 5 man flamer units instead of a 3rd 10 man.

My current 10 man squad includes a couple warp flamers.  As I said I am doing more modeling than playing these days so cant speak to this load outs effectiveness..

Man I have hope by December because I also remember some comments from GW about another Dec release. If it was delayed I think that would be ok too, just more time to work on our book. But what I'm really hoping for is GW stashed at least a couple new model kits for our codex release. As it stands, we are pretty bare bones.

Can you imagine a codex release followed by sisters in January? That would be a fluffy combo to release together.

While it would be fluffy and cool, to be released around Sisters, if it happens, I doubt we will get any new models. Our options should imho be expanded, we have 1 fast choice and then some heavy support options that don't really seem to fit the theme. The hellforged contemptor in legion design is damn cool, and I am going to get one, just because it sits so well with the aesthetics of the models we have in plastic. Apart from that, I don't see much outside of rubrics, scarab occult (partially tzangors) and ahriman, exalted sorcs and magnus that really fit the theme/style of the legion. Spawn do fit in their own right, as a sort of mockery of the rubricae, but really, that is all I can think of that screams TSons to me. The daemon engines, demon princes, demons and all the other stuff might be tzeentch, but they aren't THOUSAND SONS.

I'd rather wait for a release till they are ready to expand this damn cool legion with some new plastic awesomeness.

While I won't be shocked if our codex does not have new models when it drops, I also partially expect that it will. It wouldn't be the first time GW has done it. I remember when the new t.son models were being dropped and the word from GW was that it was a test bed to see how well a chaos legion would sell. They probably had 2-3 more units designed and being worked on at the time. Then decided to say "hey screw it, lets go ape on some death guard". 

It's hard to say. So much speculation ultimately. It could also just be a codex with no new models and GW does splash releases later in the year. I'll just say that if there won't be new models, they better do us some justice in the psychic dept. Don't drop the b all GW, please don't drop the ball. 

@Archaeinox: You're just bitter than GW casted you into the warp from the Facebook Imperium controlled space.

I've said this for a long time. There are gaps in TSons. Sooner or later we'll get models to fill those. Based off of making us a seperate faction with 3 units of infantry and no other non-HQ/LoW kits I'm of the mind it'll be sooner.

It's going to be a stupidly small codex otherwise, where the hardback portion of the book is thicker than the actual pages lol!

Also notice how GW does not give the same love to older models. In the death guard codex....the defiler, helbrute, chaos lord, chaos sorceror, land raider, rhino, etc. all do not have disgustingly resilient and they should. Especially the defiler for being a daemon of nurgle. So basically we see a pattern of old models not sharing whatever new rules a GOD unit may have. Having said that, it would stand to reason that a large portion of our book (as it stands) would also not be able to share in that fun. 

I actually watched the warhammer tv coverage of the Grand Tournament Heat 1. Someone kept asking about new models. The hosts basically said it is their highest priority to get all the codexes out with the most amount of playtesting they could fit in and therefore models weren't a priority until the codexes were done.

What I actually got from that statement surprised me. Basically this told me GW seems to think their strongest selling mechanism for new models is new rules for those models. IE: Primaris, Deathguard, Cawl, Celestine, etc. So perhaps they see very little value in redoing some exceptionally dated models.

Regardless, I think what they did with Grey Knights is our only hope of a new unit... like the NDK Brother Captain. So start chopping your Magnus heads off and gluing them to you Defiler kits fot the new Psyker Defiler; Magifiler!

(That's a joke...don't actually do that... unless you really want to).

I think they are doing what they are doing because they have understood after so many years of neglect, that 80% of their customers don't just collect random models, most of their customers play the game. They now know, in direct contradiction to just two years ago, that rules that work, sell more models than a few kit updates. I loved the release of TSons when it came, I still crave setting a painted army of them on the table because of the fluff, and I know I'm going to have that army eventually. It's not going to be vast like my run-amok DA, but I'll try to get the right stuff that allows for fun games without being overly deadly. Thousand Sons are in need of a few choices, and aura providing characters seem to be a tendency in 8th (even CSM got them, afterall), so if we will get new models, it seems likely some of them will be such characters (1-2 choices perhaps?).

I really do hope the exalted sorc have more to offer in this book. Since GW upped the points costs for them in the FAQ, it baffles me that between an exalt and Ahriman the points difference is what, 4? And one model gets to use and deny 3 powers, has a better save, better damage on the staff, and a +1 to casting. :down:

He does have more than one face.  I have not bought Magnus though when I do I want to see if I can magnetize the 3 faces and 2 weapons and switch them out between turns for fun.  Not sure how the face sets on the model, if its possible without a lot of work or having to special order 2 additional headdresses which would be excessive and not worth it.

Anyone who put Magnus together have an insight on if this would be difficult?  I have become fairly proficient with magnetizing the past 3 years though no master craftsman.

The face is doable. I did mine. The hand is a little trickier since it doesn't sit flat against the arm side. Might take some tricky work. I just glued my weapon since I bought two of them with the intent of one being painted like the box art and the other being painted blue like the old epic mini. The blue one will have the other weapon option. 

With so many traits/regiments/chapter tactics/Craftworld Attributes etc being copied from one codex to the other, I think we have probably already seen what are will be or at least there is a good chance of it.  I think the Craftworld Iyanden attribute has a good chance (or something close to it) being ported to our codex.

I have posted it below for reference from the WarComm site.

40kCraftworldFocus-Iyanden-Boxout1erd.jp

Only worrying about losing 1 rubric would be great.

I think the other part would be something for <Thousand Sons> psykers. My group came up with something else reasonable. Ignore Perils on a 5+ for TS psykers. Ahriman gets +1 to that roll. Magnus gets +2. . 

I think we are going to see some sick stuff.

In my last game I lost more rubrics due to perils than from enemy gunfire.

While I agree that rule repetition seems to becoming a regular thing, I'd like to have an army that has great models and rules that don't make winning a forlorn dream.

Archived