With an eye to the past I look try to divine the future.

Raven1

This weekend my test list is going to have 9 rubrics with warpflamers and two 5man units of rubrics with bolters sitting in the back and/or in a Rhino.

That way, depending upon the opponent (I will try to play two games), I can pack the warpflamers in the Rhino or Webway/crystal them, whichever seems the most important. You know, warptime might not be the best idea for them if I fight Black Templars or whatever, but you gotta try.. High risk, high reward and all that somethingsomething dice game

I'm going to be using Webway to get my Warpflamers in, then a Terminator Sorcerer with the +1 to test trait for a +2 on my Warptime. I'll be using the DMC to break out of assault and repeat the above on turn 2.

Just trying to think about if it's worth it to drop another small unit back there, or terminators, to launch Cabalistic ritual to help make it all a relatively sure thing.

Using Flamer Rubrics with Webway sounds great but make sure you present more big threats for the enemy or you most likely won't be able to use them before they get shot to bits. Relying on psychic powers like Warptime is always a gamble as well.

Intent is to try to figure out a build that's going to let me bring some Daemon Engines or Mutaliths up the field real fast so they have to pick their poison. I've got to point it out but I think I pay be able to do it with a few squads of Tzaangors, the brick blob, 3 heavy opyions, and pull it together with the battalion/spearhead for 7 CP.

I feel like with the Soulreaper nerf is there's a way to run Rubrics at all it's gonna be with Warpflamers. Delivery is going to be a problem though; you REALLY don't want that warptime to get denied.

So far, I've had no problems even in the Index with the 20 man bolter/Soulreaper squad. Granted, you have to commit many buffs, and build your army around it, where the Warpflamer guys can be an "add-in" to hunt specific targets or act as emergency responders when something nasty hits your line.

I would actually suggest putting them in a Rhino and Warptiming it forward, plus an Advance, while blowing Smoke. Make sure you end up about 12 in away and have something nasty trailing behind just within charge distance. If they try to head off the Rhino in close by charging it, they just stepped into the Inferno Bolter/Tzaangor charge death zone ("This is the kill box, Tony! This is where you go to die!"). If they don't, you pile out 3 inches, walk forward and flame on. 

I feel like with the Soulreaper nerf is there's a way to run Rubrics at all it's gonna be with Warpflamers. Delivery is going to be a problem though; you REALLY don't want that warptime to get denied.

So far, I've had no problems even in the Index with the 20 man bolter/Soulreaper squad. Granted, you have to commit many buffs, and build your army around it, where the Warpflamer guys can be an "add-in" to hunt specific targets or act as emergency responders when something nasty hits your line.

I would actually suggest putting them in a Rhino and Warptiming it forward, plus an Advance, while blowing Smoke. Make sure you end up about 12 in away and have something nasty trailing behind just within charge distance. If they try to head off the Rhino in close by charging it, they just stepped into the Inferno Bolter/Tzaangor charge death zone ("This is the kill box, Tony! This is where you go to die!"). If they don't, you pile out 3 inches, walk forward and flame on.

That's my tactic I intend on using for my blob of bricks if the webway can't be pulled off.

I'm going to be using Webway to get my Warpflamers in, then a Terminator Sorcerer with the +1 to test trait for a +2 on my Warptime. I'll be using the DMC to break out of assault and repeat the above on turn 2.

Just trying to think about if it's worth it to drop another small unit back there, or terminators, to launch Cabalistic ritual to help make it all a relatively sure thing.

I do think we need to take advantage of Cabalistic Ritual if able.

So hate me if you want but dare I say that it might be a good idea to run our rubrics as alpha legion, and sorcerers and beastmen as Thousand Sons?

Well, that's something I was already thinking about... If GW doesn't FAQ Soulreapers to be 1 per 5 Rubrics.

1 Chaos Lord

3x 5 Rubrics w/ Soulreaper Cannon

Who needs Glamour of Tzeentch or fancy spells when you could just get -1 to hit ?

The only thing that bothers me is that my models are all painted with the same colour scheme. It might get confusing for my opponents...

So hate me if you want but dare I say that it might be a good idea to run our rubrics as alpha legion, and sorcerers and beastmen as Thousand Sons?

I was thinking the same but with Night Lords as I love the idea of Raptors with meltas and a sorcerer with jump pack. Could also run rapier batteries that are prevented by using the Sons.

It's not the books that are built for soup lists, it's the basic rules system that rewards it too much. The rule about mixing factions should've been army-wide, not detachments-wide imo.

Agree with sfPanzer’s previous post.

What I want to build/play isn’t really possible using one codex. I was hoping the idea that armies relying on a single codex or faction would be competitive with those that use the best units from multiple codexes.

I want to play a sorcerer led army with MSU rubric squads, raptors, havocs, helbrutes, and cultists. I’m okay with playing with daemons. I really don’t want to play with Gors and the mutalith. I came up with a list that includes a Sons brigade and a vanguard detachment with raptors and a heldrake. It doesn’t have the heavy weapons I want, but I guess that’s the role my helbrutes will take.

I’m open to other suggestions, but the SRC requiring 10 men squads and the emphasis on Gors in the codex make me think playing a mixed chaos list is the best approach to what I want. I accept and welcome the Gors for those who want to play them. Options are nice and it will be nice to see somebody across the board with big blocks of beastmen, but it’s not my cup of tea.

No, you'd obviously be playing a mixed Chaos army.

Id call it a Tzeentch army ;) But yes Chaos purposed.

Unfortunately, it seems like just about every book is built for soup lists...

It isnt the books who do this. Its the rules for Detachments generating CP.

Thus cheap units fill multiple Detachments leading to Stratagem use optimalisation.

Has anyone mathed out the comparison between Flamers of Tzeentch and Warpflamer Rubrics? I think it's interesting looking at the two and it appears the Flamers seem to offer more defensively/offensively on the surface without running numbers.

Edit: Flamers are like Primaris Warpflamers Jump Packs and a 4++ instead.

Archived