Assassins

Roguester

We're already quite point starved, and the Assassins either don't do enough or are actively harmful to us (Culexus has to stay away from your units to not interfere, which makes him vulnerable to being focus down).

No he doesn't, the abomination rule on his datasheet very clearly states that his abilities only affect enemy psykers. He's brilliant moving up behind GK infantry. Gives you an effective 3+ to deny tests

Callidus are, ok.  Not great.  Kinda reliable first turn charge is their thing (plus the first turn CP shenanigans).  Apart from that, their kinda /meh.

Culexes on the other hand are simply amazeballs.  As said, they don't effect friendly units any more, and are seriously durable.  Unless you face Dark Reapers. ;)

Dark Reapers hit them on 3+ and explode them.  So you might not want to invest in them if you're facing a lot of Eldar.  Other than that, they help rule the Psychic Phase (which if your opponent packs little to no Psykers, can ruin their day massively), suck up an inordinate amount of enemy attacks to down, and protect your other Characters from harm.

Get them into CC asap for more Character saving shenanigans.

I've successfully used the Callidus to tie up an essential enemy backfield shooting unit. The Callidus might not kill them, but when keeping GMNDK alive, denying devastator squads, Las predators and squads of bright lance war walkers even a single turn is fantastic. If you get two, great, but don't rely on that

So what's the very cheapest hq to add 3 assassins to an army as a Vanguard detachment? I'm thinking that a 55 Inquisitor psyker might not be a bad shout, and thematically appropriately to a GK army

Otherwise a 40 point Primaris Psyker or a 30pt imperial guard company commander seem like the cheapest.

Or am I missing anyone obvious?

Edited by Godeskian

well psyker is cheapest however if you grab an astropath with -2ld psychic power and a terminator inquisitor with the -1ld no overwatch psychic power then you can do a tone of mortal wounds with purge soul and the inquisitor can deep strike

Actually, due to our lack of heavy shots, with little more than 275 points we can take an AM battalion with three lascannon. Useful also to guarantee our deep striking units and also 3 more CP
A definitely better way to use points in my opinion.

Actually, due to our lack of heavy shots, with little more than 275 points we can take an AM battalion with three lascannon. Useful also to guarantee our deep striking units and also 3 more CP.

A definitely better way to use points in my opinion.

Objectively better? Perhaps. Am I actually ever going to want to field them? No.

I mean no disrespect here, but having models I actually like and want to play with is worth more to me than pure efficiency.

Sure, I want to make what I intend to play as efficient as possible, hence the search for a cheap hq, but ultimately I have to want to actually put the models on the table.

I like assassins. I do not like AM.