The Nine Legions - ETL VII is on!

Dragonlover

Cheers guys!

@Qkhitai: A lot of my inspiration comes from the 2nd Ed Chaos Codex with the occasional incorporation of newer stuff if I think it's cool, so I'm glad that's coming through.

@Augustus: I've now highlighted the armour on two guys out of squad 2 but I've had to down brushes for the night, my neck is killing me. Should be able to knock the other three out in the morning before I head to work.

Dragonlover

Cheers hush! I saw one online where someone had painted a chain down the helmet and across one of the eyelenses...  not quite sure I'm up to that, but I really want to try it!

Dragonlover

Cheers dude! I'm actually really enjoying the freehand stuff, although I'm not looking forward to doing the Iron Warriors logo one iota.

Dragonlover

I've recently started trying my hand at it after being frightened away for a long time, and though it certainly challenges me, it's very rewarding and a great way to get your miniatures to be your own. Can't blame you on fearing the skull, though I've faith it'll come out well!

Cheers guys! I should have more freehand soon, and I'm planning something a touch more elaborate for my Fire Raptors. Not that I have the faintest how I'm gonna paint the armour on them, since washes aren't great over flat panels, but I'll think of something.

The neck goes in stages, I have a tendency to slip into painters hunch and suddenly realise I'm at right angles when that's not good for long periods of time.

Dragonlover

• 1 month later...

So. I'm kinda useless at actually updating this plog while I'm knee deep in painting stuff, for which I apologise. I intend to take decent pics of all the Iron Warriors stuff post-ET as well as the Alpha Legion bits I missed.

I elected not to attempt the Fire Raptor for the ETL due to just not having the enthusiasm to build it. There's some warping in one side of the hull and I couldn't be bothered to argue with the resin, y'know? So I vowed a couple of Knights instead.

However! I still have a vow left, and part of what I need showed up today:

gallery_69371_14676_4916.jpeg

Three las pred upgrade kits from Kromlech. Just gotta get them onto some hulls and pick up the Master of Signals I got a mate to grab me for their accompanying Lord and that'll be Vow 5.

All I've gotta do then is solve my Cultist problem, namely what the heck do I use? The GW ones are being used for my Alpha Legion and I'd rather not use them for my other armies if I can avoid it. Trouble is I don't want to spend loads on them either, so things like Neophytes with Skitari heads is awesome, but impractical.

Dragonlover

Knights will be a fun sight to see! I do hope you can get that raptor up and about one day too. Although I know the pain you speak of. That kit and the eagle are awesome looking but can be a motivation killer with some of the issues the molds have. When you get into that right mindset though you'll knock it out!

The predator bits look awesome. Interested in seeing that on a predator!

As for cultists, is this for your Iron Warriors? If so I'd like to suggest Skitarii. I will finally be bringing some to the field to bubble wrap my artillery tanks and I want to use skitarii as my cultist and I imagine my Warpsmith ordering them to sell their lives dearly to protect his motor pool.

Yeah it's for the Iron Warriors. I'd not considered using just straight Skitari, mainly due to making sure there's no model confusion. I keep meaning to check out Anvil for their regiment creation thingy.

The Knights are done!

gallery_69371_14731_69956.jpeg

gallery_69371_14731_60119.jpeg

Dragonlover

• 2 weeks later...

So, you know how I mentioned I was a bit useless at updating? I kinda did an entire fifth vow, namely three Predators and a Lord. I'm really bad at this plogging malarkey...

But hey, here's all the stuff I painted for this year's ETL!

gallery_69371_12656_76270.jpeg

So what's next for the Nine Legions? I've really got to sort out the Cultists situation. I had a look at Anvil and there's some bits that will be perfect for the Iron Warriors, so I'm going to use them. Alpha Legion I'll just have to bite the bullet and build 30 more autogun GW guys, along with rebasing the ones I already have. I also have to build their second Fire Raptor, but it's currently far too hot to faff around scrubbing resin.

There's also the 16 berserkers and a Dark Apostle to do that I mentioned, but I'm waiting to see if we get a new kit. Although I am tempted to do some betrayer41 pattern guys...

As for new Legions? Either Black Legion or Word Bearers. I want to do something more obviously Chaotic for a bit after the cleanliness of these last two. Black Legion is gonna be Marines backed up by a Deredeo and some Rapiers. I'll be using DV Chosen, Raptors and some Evil Craft bits to make the Marines.

If I do Word Bearers I'm going Daemon Engines. I'm not a fan of summoning actual daemons in, so I figure that fits the fluff quite nicely.

Dragonlover

I really like your conversion work on the Knights, but the AGC guy could really use a shield on the right cannon arm. The white with orange trim looks great and it would be a shame to leave him “lopsided.” I think I have an extra RFBC shield that I would be happy to send you. You could just model a flamer in the spot meant for the heavy stubber.

It's actually a deliberate choice, same as the fact I left the shield off the top of the other gun. That plus the cyclopean eye are subtle hints of the pilots eventual fall to Nurgle.

I find it interesting that you see them as white with orange trim, as they're actually grey with brown trim. Really need to sort out a light box..

Dragonlover

Hotdamn dude, you did SO much!!! Congrats on the finish. You were kinda early, but you did tons of points!! 

About the cultists: You need at least thirty anyway, so why not buy a box of Skitarii, Cadians, and Neophytes, and mix all that. That's only a couple $ more than say, three boxes of cadians, but tons of variety :)

Yeah, I got a bit too conservative at the beginning because this is the first ETL I've done while working full time, otherwise all the Alpha Legion stuff would have been a single vow. On the other hand, I'm now more aware of how to balance stuff for next year.

On the Cultists: because for my Alphas I already have thirty DV Cultists and I want to keep them the same and for my Iron Warriors I want to use these: http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Regiments/regiments-full-squads/tallinn-citadel-guard

Dragonlover

Nice update! Now you've put the itch to get back into some Iron Warriors for KT. I miss those stone cold hearted bastards!

I also think you should do some betrayer-mark berzerkers as well. They're loads of fun!

• 4 weeks later...

So, the winds of inspiration have taken me to the Legion of the Long War as the next one to do. I'm going full baroque with these guys as I mentioned, admittedly slightly scuppered by the fact I cannot find the full DV Chaos half I know for a fact I own. Ah well, it'll show up somewhere.

First up, a jump pack sorcerer:

gallery_69371_14869_75487.jpeg

Next, a Hellforged Deredeo:

gallery_69371_14869_27090.jpeg

Now the problem here is the sheer austerity of the model, so I've blocked in where I'm most likely to add trim. I'm also adding a Helbrute crown bit, partially because it looks cool and partially because I've got it so I figured I may as well use it!

Dragonlover

Wow - nice work on your ETL, that is what is called productive :tu: :tu: :tu:

You certainly have my attention with the BL, liking the Sorcerer and the Big Guy so far (I see what you mean with the Helbrute cowling, it looks good) what are you going to do for the trim? Nice and straight or jagged and asymmetrical? I would go for the latter as it would match in with the Helbrute parts. (Also, the real reason I am doing it that way is my lack of GS fu, but shhhhhh....;) )

Cheers bud! It was good to get back in the saddle and paint some stuff.

Yeah, the trim is probably gonna end up a bit ragged and asymmetrical. I'm really not up for precision plasticard work at the moment, and as Subtle Discord isn't working on Deredeo trim at the moment that's not an option either.

Dragonlover