IA: Iron Sabres

BoldKill

Hello all, long time lurker, and this is my first post.  Don't go easy on me, and with that "Iron sharpens iron!".  

Iron Sabre

Chapter name:  Iron Sabres

Gene-seed:  Rogal Dorn

Founding:  2nd/3rd Founding

First Chapter Master:  Priam Bahadur

Origins

This Chapter begins with one man, Captain Priam Bahadur, a battle hardened veteran of the Imperial Fists Legion, and commander of the Strike Cruiser Terrible Angel when it was fired upon by the Imperial Navy during the "Codex Astartes Crisis".  Captain Bahadur was very much against the idea of splitting up the 7th Legion, and was openly hostile to Oriax Dantalion.  Bahadur believed the incoming fire to be the first shots in THE second civil war, and responded the only way he knew how ..... ATTACK.  Not only did he engage the Imperial fleet directly with the Terrible Angel, but he also ordered his boarding parties to "Execute all traitors found!"  When the stand down order came directly from his Primarch, the Captain responded how any son of the 7th would, with strict obedience, but deep down in his soul burned anger, and hatred for his father's relent.

In a short amount of time, Captain Bahadur's entire worldview came crashing down.  Not only did Rogal Dorn give in to Roboute Guilliman's demands, but he reprimanded the Captain for his harsh actions against the Imperial Navy.  Did the 7th relent when the traitors attacked the Retribution Fleet at Phall?  Did the 7th run away when the walls to the Imperial palace broke?  Did Priam Bahadur fail his father's anger when he was sent into fortress after fortress to bring judgment onto the heretics who crippled the Emperor?  No!  Bahadur's plan was to die with the REAL 7th Legion at the Iron Cage, and convince his Primarch Progenitor of this mistake through the blood of his most loyal son!

BUT, that was not to be.  As if to be mocked, the only injury Bahadur took during the battle was having his left fist blown off, and to see his most hated foe (Iron warriors) escape.  All of this blood spilt, and for what?  Just to see his father relent to Guilliman yet again.  During the beginning stages of the 2nd Founding, Captain Bahadur could no longer remain silent, and confronted the Primarch of the 7th Legion personally.  

To this day, all of the Chapters who carry Rogal Dorn's gene-seed call the Iron Sabres "The Rebuked", for this Chapter is not counted as sons of Dorn, this Chapter knows not of any "Last Wall" protocal, this Chapter does not partake in the Feast of Blades, and this Chapter does not honor its Primarch.  

Most question why Dorn let this man live, let alone create his own Chapter, but some suggest it was because Dorn himself recognized a younger version of himself in the defiant Captain.  The reason this Chapter is not counted among the 2nd Founding is because when this Captain, and his company were cast out of the 7th Legion it was attached to the fleet that it had engaged previously, and sent on a "repentant" crusade.  It wasn't until the 3rd Founding that this Chapter was offically reconizged.

This repentant crusade was a great success, do to a relationship forged in war between the Iron Sabres, and the Imperial Navy this Chapter was given a Ramilies-class Starfort as it's fortress monastery at the conclusion of this specific crusade.          

It's okay so far. I'm surprised you named them "Iron" Sabers instead of "Steel" (stronger than iron, and more common for that reason), "Titanium" (lighter, permitting faster strikes), or "Adamantium" Sabers. Did they adopt the Iron Hands' beliefs after their penitent crusade concluded?

By the way, where do the Iron Sabers recruit from? Do they seize the inhabitants of worlds they "redeemed in the Emperor's name" (i.e., conquered), for recruitment?

I'm still working on some things, but I wanted to get the origins out first.  I figure that will be where I get the most head scratches from, and could use the most pointers for.  I know I used Mk4 in the picture, but I was just going for what they would look like in the beginning (shortly after the Horus Heresy).  This really isn't a codex compliant Chapter, but it holds to the 1000 limit.  With how this Chapter was created, it is strictly set up for void warfare, in fact I was going to have it where the lion share of recruits are voidborn, or children who come from the ships of the Imperial Navy.

I didn't want their armor color to represent anything, I wanted to give an impression that when Rogal Dorn scolded Bahadur that he lost his rights to heraldic colors. 

I might need some help with the name of the fortress monastery, I sorta don't want to go with "iron something", but I feel like the 40K fan that I am will end up going that route.  In my mind the story of the Terrible Angel, and Bahadur will die, or get lost in the Warp doing something noble. 

Anyway, just wanted to hit some notes, and show where I'm trying to go with this.    

It's okay so far. I'm surprised you named them "Iron" Sabers instead of "Steel" (stronger than iron, and more common for that reason), "Titanium" (lighter, permitting faster strikes), or "Adamantium" Sabers. Did they adopt the Iron Hands' beliefs after their penitent crusade concluded?

By the way, where do the Iron Sabers recruit from? Do they seize the inhabitants of worlds they "redeemed in the Emperor's name" (i.e., conquered), for recruitment?

The reason I went with Iron Sabres is because of one of my favorite phrases "Iron sharpens iron".  These guys hate Iron Warriors, combined with the Iron Cage, and I wanted this to be sort of a mock against that legion.  Like, win or lose they sharpen iron.  If they win then they get sharper, if they lose they still get sharper because the weak got killed off kind of thing.  

Speaking of the Iron Hands, I did want there to be a ritual in this Chapter where the hardcore battle-brothers remove their left hand, it's supposed to symbolize how they are no longer Imperial Fists, but straight up Iron Sabres.  These guys do not respect Rogal Dorn, and I want this to bring contention.  

I wanted this Chapter to recruit from ships, and from void-born.  Rarely would this Chapter recruit from a world I'd think.  

Considering the first Chapter Master's conflicts with his Primarch, and the fact he remained loyal after the penitent crusade ended, I think the fortress-monastery should have the word "Atonement" or "Redemption" in its name, e.g., "Seat of Atonement" or "Rock of Redemption".

I like that, thanks for that, and I probably will go with something like that.

I like this. The Rogal Dorn fan in me wants to rail against it, but I like the tragic fallout and how that unfolds. This has a Red Talons kind of vibe and it seems grounded in the setting. I like it when DIY Chapters can utilize existing fluff to add to their chapters. The Terrible Angel incident is one of those little one off mentions that could be expanded on. So I really like that you took that and incorporated it into the core of your Chapters character.

I honestly feel this Chapter should be called the Terrible Angels. Granted that has kind of a Dark Angels vibe, but I feel that is the true origin of this Chapter and this name would further embrace that origin. I understand why you picked Iron Sabres, and I like the whole Iron Sharpens Iron quote as well, but make that your Chapters war cry.

Anyway this is a great start.

With your theme of Marines seeing themselves as weapons that need to be honed, I think something important to them should be named "Whetstone", e.g., the fortress-monastery "Whetstone of Penance", the battle barge "Whetstone of War", or the relic thunder hammer "Whetstone".

I think you have me dialed in pretty good!  "Weapons that need to be honed" is very much what I was going for, I want these guys to be the loyalist Iron Warriors so to speak.  Their weapons are black, with yellow stripes for a reason.  These guys don't have good relationships with other space marine chapters,  Especially sons of Dorn, or the sons of Guilliman.  I want these guys to be used to censor other Chapters, and I want these guys to enjoy doing it. 

I like this. The Rogal Dorn fan in me wants to rail against it, but I like the tragic fallout and how that unfolds. This has a Red Talons kind of vibe and it seems grounded in the setting. I like it when DIY Chapters can utilize existing fluff to add to their chapters. The Terrible Angel incident is one of those little one off mentions that could be expanded on. So I really like that you took that and incorporated it into the core of your Chapters character.

I honestly feel this Chapter should be called the Terrible Angels. Granted that has kind of a Dark Angels vibe, but I feel that is the true origin of this Chapter and this name would further embrace that origin. I understand why you picked Iron Sabres, and I like the whole Iron Sharpens Iron quote as well, but make that your Chapters war cry.

Anyway this is a great start.

I'm about to get dark, so bare with me my brother.  I HATE the Primarchs, they're the afterbirth (or should I say beforebirth) of the Space Marines.  The Lion?  Probably a traitor!  Corax?  A coward!  Manus?  A crybaby who's anger got the better of him!  Russ/Sanguinius?  Cursed monsters - put a bullet in them!  Vulkan/Khan?  Like Corax, cowards who disappeared when daddy got hurt!  Guilliman?  A wannabe emperor who's only alive because of alien technology!  And Dorn?  I guess loyalty goes only one way huh!  We don't even need to talk about the traitors.

LOL, man I am on the edge of making these guys go renegade!  Call them the Iron Crusade, and have them sharpen the forces of the Imperium of Man through fire.  Have the Chapter master unknowingly doing the will of Chaos, and make his story ark a bad-ass tragedy.  I hate Chaos, I love the Red Talons, and I like the idea of misguided children.  I like conflict, I just don't want to be demon worshipers to get it. 

I wanted this Chapter to be on the fringe of heresy themselves.  The codex made the Imperium weak!  Dorn was a coward to relent to Guilliman!  The Primarchs themselves killed the Emperor's Great Crusade!  As you can imagine this would cause problems with other forces of the Imperium, and I ironically want their only saving grace to be the Imperial Navy it once fought.

I have an idea of a Chapter relic, a wall of Iron Warrior armor fused together, and written on is the names of every Imperial Fist that died in the Iron Cage.  Made by Rogal Dorn, and given to Bahadur to show him that Dorn remembers all to well of the cost.  Among that list of names, is Captain Priam Bahadur!  I want this to piss off my Chapter Master so much that he actually does the will of Rogal Dorn until his death.  In that respect it's the prodigal son returns moment!

Anyway, just spit-balling here, hit me back!       

To avoid friendly fire incidents, maybe those stripes should be red, symbolizing the blood they shed in the Emperor's name.

That's a solid idea.  I worried that the yellow stripes, and the yellow eyes were to much.  I wanted the yellow eyes to symbolize that these guys are in fact sons of the 7th, and I wanted the stripes to symbolize their hatred for the Iron Warriors. 

I'm actually going to go see how that looks in paint! 

I like it, fits very well into the established fluff.

I think we need to learn more. As you said recruitment from void-born. Void born are low in number so that maybe hard. Maybe take a look at my chapters 'Reparatory Worlds' may give some inspiration.

I think to get the hand ritual, the legionaires that founded the chapter would need to have ceremonially on mass do it, as a show of solidarity for their leader.

Then of course conflict with the Iron Warriors, is fine. How is it different to the hatred between the Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors

I like it, fits very well into the established fluff.

I think we need to learn more. As you said recruitment from void-born. Void born are low in number so that maybe hard. Maybe take a look at my chapters 'Reparatory Worlds' may give some inspiration.

I think to get the hand ritual, the legionaires that founded the chapter would need to have ceremonially on mass do it, as a show of solidarity for their leader.

Then of course conflict with the Iron Warriors, is fine. How is it different to the hatred between the Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors

I'll take a look at your stuff.  The reason for void born is because this Chapter fights mostly in space, I would imagine they fight on worlds very rarely, and when they do it's still probably within confined spaces.  In that respect I only wanted them to have a "Air Assault" vibe, no real ground vehicles to speak of, just with drop pods, drop ships, and the like.  

I agree, and I think everyone in the 1st Company would have it done.  

Eh, the beef with the Iron Warriors wouldn't be unique, but their disdain for Rogal Dorn, and their other brothers in his gene-seed would be the contention I am after.  My original idea was to make a Chapter that is ..... "hostile" against the idea of their gene-father, and since they don't value him then they wouldn't value any of the Primarchs.  The purpose for this is to bring this Chapter close to being considered renegade, or heretical.  As least from the POV of the Imperium, and probably most Astartes Chapters.  I would even go so far as to say that this Chapter turns down Primaris Marines, and just might in fact go to war against what they see as corruption of the Emperor's work by yet again another Primarch (who is rumored to be resurrected by alien magic).

Make no mistake, I see this Chapter going down in flames at the end, and that's fun for me.  I love the fallen hero tragedy story arch, I hate Chaos, and I want to create traitors that actually have a point worth silencing.  At the same time, due to their beef with daddy, I want these guys make up for it in their faith in the Emperor, I want these guys to worship him, and blame the petty rivalries of the Primarchs for the fall of mankind.  I'm even toying with the idea that This Chapter found a copy of the Lectitio Divinitatus, and over time adopt some aspects of the book.  Over time, I want this twisted, perverted cult to take over, and become the downfall of this group.

I'm sure some are thinking "Why not just make a Chaos warband?"  Oh I have thought about it, but I hate the idea of demon worship.  I wanted to make a Word Bearers Chapter that went Rogue during the Heresy, that never stopped worshiping the Emperor, but that seems like it gets less likey each edition.   

Ha, anyway, hit me back.  I enjoy talking about this.  Iron sharpens Iron indeed! 

In a way, I want these guys to become Iron Warriors.  In a twisted way, sons of Dorn by blood, but sons of Perturabo by action.  I was even thinking about Priam Bahadur, and the Terrible Angel getting lost to the Warp.  Spit back out in the 41 M, and he see's what his vision turned into.  He leads a force of Imperial Fists to destroy the Iron Sabres, and dies doing so.  Buried in Yellow, the prodigal son returns to Rogal Dorn through service in death.  

That's my imagination for the end though.  

What do you guys think?

So the Iron Sabers will turn to Chaos for the power to take revenge from the Iron Warriors? (It may make sense for them to act like the Iron Warriors and "fight fire with fire," but it makes no sense for them to JOIN the Iron Warriors as battle-brothers. I doubt the pain and humiliation the Iron Sabers suffered in the Iron Cage, will be forgiven or forgotten.)

So the Iron Sabers will turn to Chaos for the power to take revenge from the Iron Warriors? (It may make sense for them to act like the Iron Warriors and "fight fire with fire," but it makes no sense for them to JOIN the Iron Warriors as battle-brothers. I doubt the pain and humiliation the Iron Sabers suffered in the Iron Cage, will be forgiven or forgotten.)

Act like Iron Warriors, still kill them where ever found, not aligned, nor actually become them.  More like, they are very brutish for even space marines, sorta like how the Iron Warriors were during the Great Crusade.  Bitter, and violent.  Over time they have deluded themselves on what they are doing.  I really don't want them to be forgiven, It would be just the one man if that were to be the case, and even then not in the form of recognition.

But no matter, that wouldn't be until further along in the story, around the 41st M.  At their start they would be loyalist, and for most of their existence they would remain so.  But, with every generation, they become darker, and darker.  Over time, they manage to burn all of their bridges, and the Climax would be with the last Chapter Master.  I would want this guy to be twisted in his thinking, like him attacking Imperial forces is sharpening iron because he is culling the weak.

He would believe in what he is doing.  To the core.  Not for immortality, not for jealousy, but because he actually believes in a twisted way that he would be making the Imperium stronger.  If he is corrupted by Chaos, he wouldn't know, and there would be no redemption for this guy.  This is all hate!

I was very taken with this concept. A particularly interesting idea - I really like how the concept of the prodigal son being the truest reflection of the father. I also particularly enjoy how this Chapter is bitter, hardened and resilient - the concept of the whetstone is a really compelling one. Strength through strife - the idea that what doesn't kill them makes them stronger. Along with Chapters like the Marines Malevolent, I think these work particularly well as embittered survivors. Not rebels, but misunderstood. 

I really look forward to seeing how you expand and develop this idea. 

I was very taken with this concept. A particularly interesting idea - I really like how the concept of the prodigal son being the truest reflection of the father. I also particularly enjoy how this Chapter is bitter, hardened and resilient - the concept of the whetstone is a really compelling one. Strength through strife - the idea that what doesn't kill them makes them stronger. Along with Chapters like the Marines Malevolent, I think these work particularly well as embittered survivors. Not rebels, but misunderstood. 

I really look forward to seeing how you expand and develop this idea. 

Thank you for the kind words, and EXACTLY what I was going for!  Priam Bahadur absolutely loved the "old" Rogal Dorn, and in his mind Dorn's greatest betrayal was against Dorn himself.  This Captain would see his battle brothers that supported the Codex as traitors against the 7th Legion.  How could they agree to separation after the Great Crusade, after the Heresy of Horus, and after the Iron Cage.  His real battle brothers went into the pain glove that was the Iron Cage, for their father, and in return their father decided to betray that level of LOYALTY!

"There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. He is doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion he is."

THAT is the Primarch of Captain Priam Bahadur, that broken, grief stricken, deluded "thing" that emerged after spending 7 days in the pain glove was foolishly misguided at best, or tricked by Chaos at worst.

Love like that does not weaken, it changes into it's opposite form ..... HATE!  That's why Dorn lets Bahadur go, he doesn't need a son, HE NEEDS A WEAPON, something that will faithfully kill, and die in the name of the Emperor.  Something that will not debate different ideals, but destroy them without a second thought.  Rogal Dorn wanted a man with an Iron will, and a sharp sabre!  The sons of the Terrible Angel would be Dorn's vengeance, the last part of Dorn that hated the traitors, hated the sons who wanted to separate from HIS Legion, hated his Father for trying to debate with Horus instead of killing him outright as the corrupted dog he was, and HATED THE IMPERIUM FOR FIRING UPON HIS LEGION!  Bahadur was the part of Rogal Dorn that he had to let go, to go along with his brother's Codex.    

Their eyes are yellow to symbolize who actually sends them, and their weapons are striped in yellow to symbolize that the Iron Cage was not something to mourn, but celebrate!  Iron sharpens Iron, and let the "pain glove" sort it out!                  

I like that you have a clear connection with the Chapter. I would personally recommend that you don't make this Chapter renegade. Mistrusted by their peers, feared by the Imperium - but that wouldn't concern them. I like that they think of Dorn as a broken man - so they will turn their faith towards those that have been unbroken. 

I look forward to seeing you develop your ideas in your first post! 

EDIT: I personally would be keen to see the Iron Sabres in the 41st millennium. GW detailing the Heresy has made it an interesting area, but I would like to see the Chapter beyond just the actions of Priam. Ten thousand years is a long time for the truth to become legend, and it would be interesting to see how the Dark Millennium has further strengthened your Chapter. Likening the Chapter (and its warriors) to swords is an interesting analogy, and you could do a great deal with the idea of 'tempering' a blade. I think the Chapter would put their warriors through particularly punishing and gruelling trials. Each brother of the Sabres is a blade in the hand of the Emperor, to be wielded wisely to crush the enemies of the Imperium. 

I also would find it interesting to see the brothers of the Chapter reconciling their conflicted emotions towards their Primarch! 

I like that you have a clear connection with the Chapter. I would personally recommend that you don't make this Chapter renegade. Mistrusted by their peers, feared by the Imperium - but that wouldn't concern them. I like that they think of Dorn as a broken man - so they will turn their faith towards those that have been unbroken. 

I look forward to seeing you develop your ideas in your first post! 

EDIT: I personally would be keen to see the Iron Sabres in the 41st millennium. GW detailing the Heresy has made it an interesting area, but I would like to see the Chapter beyond just the actions of Priam. Ten thousand years is a long time for the truth to become legend, and it would be interesting to see how the Dark Millennium has further strengthened your Chapter. Likening the Chapter (and its warriors) to swords is an interesting analogy, and you could do a great deal with the idea of 'tempering' a blade. I think the Chapter would put their warriors through particularly punishing and gruelling trials. Each brother of the Sabres is a blade in the hand of the Emperor, to be wielded wisely to crush the enemies of the Imperium. 

I also would find it interesting to see the brothers of the Chapter reconciling their conflicted emotions towards their Primarch! 

Ha!  I must admit when I read what I wrote, I was thinking "These guys wouldn't go renegade, they're to stubborn, and their hatred to grate for that!".  ..... Alright, I'm convinced, I'm cutting them going renegade Idea, and with that I am going to have to change how Priam, and the Terrible Angel die.

I have been busy this past week, but I have all day today to "sharpen" this Chapter.  

In the 41st millennium, I want this Chapter to revere their first Chapter Master as if he was their true Primarch, and if they read ancient texts written by actual Primarchs it's only to learn about the Space Marines that made those words become true.  I'm looking for a Chapter cult that is very anti-Primarch, they would point out that ALL of the Legions were loyal to the Emperor until they were united with their gene-fathers.  These guys would absolutely not accept the Primaris brothers, and would be a pain in the ass for Guilliman to deal with.  Maybe it would take being scolded by a Primarch for them to change?  That's a thought, have Guilliman jokingly mock the current Chapter Master, and say something to the effect of "For someone who hates my brother, YOU ARE JUST LIKE HIM!".  Man, that would sting, break, and build back all at the same time.    

About reconciling with their Primarch, their is two parts of me, and in a way I want that to manifest in the Chapter.  I wouldn't even mind the idea of a Chapter civil War, maybe even multiple civil wars over it's 10,000 year history.  Iron sharpens Iron, and their biggest obstacle is themselves.  Every son wants to know who his Father is, like it or not that road starts, and ends with Rogal Dorn!  In their quest to reject Dorn, they become more like him, and in that respect like all sons of the 7th Legion they are willing die to the last man over it. 

This Chapter would be a fleet based Chapter, their Ramilies class star fort fortress monastery would be it's heart, what it lacks in ground vehicles it makes up in Terminator armor, and due to their "Iron sharpens Iron" bit they wouldn't have any Dreadnoughts because let the weak die.  Ironically the only other force that would be allowed onto their fortress monastery would be the Imperial Navy.  That's the reason they can piss everyone else off, but still get resupplied.  Earth doesn't care because this Chapter will kill whoever it's wants dead without question.  The battle brothers of the Iron Sabres that go into the Deathwatch would not play well with others, put them together with IF/BT/CF, and they might just have to take a vow of silence!  OR, they get told of the other side of "that coin", and start problems when they get back to the Chapter after their Deathwatch service is over.                   

What would you guys think of this Chapter Having 2 Chapter Masters?  Twin brothers, Chapter Master Stefix supports the idea of reconciliation with the past, and Chapter Master Praxus still supports isolation from other Dorn successor chapters.  Due to this feud, there are 2 battle groups, each led by one of the brothers, they rotate between defending the fortress monastery, and going on crusade. 

The brothers that follow Praxus are the ones who cut their left hands off in solidarity with their Progenitor Chapter Master, and the brothers that follow Stefix keep the idea of Rogal Dorn alive in the Chapter. 

The reason for this.  I am reminded of Alexus Polex, and his twin brother.  I am a identical twin myself, and Boldthreat is my brother.  We argue over 40K all of the time, especially about Rogal Dorn, so this would be a "art imitate's life" kind of thing. 

This could be where the civil war of the 41st millennium starts with, and maybe it takes Guilliman to stop it?         

There are Chapters with such non-standard arrangements; one would be the White Consuls, who have two Co-Chapter Masters. With that said, I don't see that doctrinal disagreements within a Chapter need to erupt into outright hostilities. Similarly, the Iron Hands had the Clan-Council (in some versions of the fluff) - a similar arrangement might have been instituted by Priam to ensure that one man could not lead all his brothers to destruction. Such a policy could easily have been instituted in the wake of the Heresy. 

The Iron Sabres removing their hands - whilst I can see it as having symbolism in literally severing the Fist, it does seem to encroach a little too much on the ideas of the Iron Hands, who ceremoniously remove their hands. Perhaps you could find something else that could differentiate your Chapter? It could be some other feat of strength and endurance, such as holding a burning coal or somesuch? 

There are Chapters with such non-standard arrangements; one would be the White Consuls, who have two Co-Chapter Masters. With that said, I don't see that doctrinal disagreements within a Chapter need to erupt into outright hostilities. Similarly, the Iron Hands had the Clan-Council (in some versions of the fluff) - a similar arrangement might have been instituted by Priam to ensure that one man could not lead all his brothers to destruction. Such a policy could easily have been instituted in the wake of the Heresy. 

The Iron Sabres removing their hands - whilst I can see it as having symbolism in literally severing the Fist, it does seem to encroach a little too much on the ideas of the Iron Hands, who ceremoniously remove their hands. Perhaps you could find something else that could differentiate your Chapter? It could be some other feat of strength and endurance, such as holding a burning coal or somesuch? 

That's true, I don't want them to be mistaken for Iron Hands!  Maybe do it how the Crimson Fists do it, instead of red they paint their left fist black, gun metal, or some other shade?  Or, maybe black, and yellow to go along with their weapons?

That's a quick solution, but your right.  I need to think of something else, something unique ... 

Archived