IA: Iron Sabres

BoldKill

Hey guys!  It's been a while, but I am finally getting back into building this DIY Chapter.  To recap:

Iron Sabres - This name is a mock against the "Iron Cage".  Sebastus IV did not break Captain Bahadur, but it did make him sharper! 

2nd Founding - Stripped of his ship (Terrible Angel), Bahadur, and his unit were attached to the newly formed Imperial Navy, specifically the fleet that he had previously engaged during the "Codex Astartes Crisis".  This fleet was then sent on a penitent crusade.

3rd Founding - After the noble death/sacrifice of Captain Priam Bahadur aboard the Ramilies-class Starfort "SKY-BREAKER" (the penitent fleet's headquarters), Rogal Dorn awards his unit with Chapter status during the 3rd Founding.  The Primarch himself personally names this Chapter the Iron Sabres, and has the remains of SKY-BREAKER turned into the fortress monastery "Anvil's Anchor".

When it comes to Anvil's Anchor, I am stuck between making this a base in space, having it reconstructed on a small moon, or asteroid.  This fortress monastery is also the tomb of Bahadur, and he is posthumously awarded the title of 1st Chapter Master.  Among the battle brothers of the Chapter he is referred to as "The Anvil", and his doctrines are viewed as holy.  

Also, I think I am going to change the color of their armor.  I liked the dark grey, but I absolutely love the Dark Angel green color scheme.  I can't fight it anymore, and I think that is the direction I am going with.  I have decided to change their eye colors from yellow, to Red.  This is strictly because I felt like the yellow stripes on the weapons + the yellow eyes was just too much yellow on the models.  

I also have a couple of ideas about Dreadnoughts, or how they are implemented in this Chapter.

1.  They don't have any!  

2.  Instead of using crippled battle brothers, they use volunteers, and actually hold competitions to see who gets the honor of becoming a more powerful weapon of the Chapter.

The idea behind both trains of thought is that these guys don't use broken things.  A replaced arm or leg is one thing, but if a battle brother is so broken that he can no longer fight on his own then his precious gene-seed is being wasted!  Let the weak die!  Iron sharpens Iron! 

What do you guys think?        

The idea of chopping up fully functional Astartes to put in a dreadnought is a gross waste of resources. I don't think any sane marine wants to be interred into a dreadnought.

I suppose the damaged star fort could be remade in any way you mentioned. I don't really know how big star forts in 40k are.

Oh and, was Dorn even around for the 3rd Founding?

Otherwise I like the theme of the chapter, resentment. I think hand chopping is a bit too Iron Hands. How about they just paint their armored gloves?

Greetings Brother,

I'm  really liking most of what you are doing..... the theme, back story, and color schemes all sound very good. The remains of the star fort incorporated into an asteroid that also entombs the first chapter master sounds like a cool idea.

Brother SickSix has a point about the dreadnoughts. I do think you can get away with the chopping off of the hand. As symbolism goes this is not unique (outside of the 40Kverse that is).

As with all things said, these are just suggestions. This is your chapter, so you should proceed as you see fit:yes: Good luck... looks great so far:thumbsup:

I see what you guys are saying about the Dreadnaughts, and that is sort of the point.  I don't want other Chapters to view these guys as sane!  I would also point to the Gorgon Terminators as an example of space marines volunteering for extreme positions.  The competitions for these positions would be brutal, "Iron Sharpens Iron!".  This Chapter wouldn't see it as losing assets, they would see it as trimming the fat, and making the Chapter better for it. 

When it comes to Rogal Dorn, on Warhammer 40k Wiki it claims that the 3rd Founding was initiated at the suggestion of Dorn himself, and I am using that as a backdrop for the Chapter.  I liked the bitter sweet idea of the prodigal son returning to the father in death, despite their personal feelings for each other, both men view duty as the bigger point. 

AND, that is why Dorn himself sets this Chapter up in the image of Priam Bahadur!  A Primarch sets the tone for a anti-Primarch chapter cult, it isn't about gene-seed, it isn't about one man .....  It's about DUTY!  Rogal Dorn watched half of his brothers turn traitor, he watched as his other brothers were willing to go to war against him just for keeping his organization as the way he wanted, he watched as other brothers ran, and hid never to be seen again. 

If there is a Chapter secret, it's the fact that Priam Bahadur was never rejected by Rogal Dorn, because he was doing the will of his father the whole time!   

I also want this Chapter to embrace Primaris in an extreme manner.  Like in the way they do Dreadnaughts.  Let the weak die, Iron Sharpens Iron!  I was thinking of a big Chapter wide Trial of Position, the first foe the Primaris Iron Sabres have to fight as an organization is the older Astartes of the Iron Sabres.  Shortly after, this Chapter would be strictly Primaris. 

Hit me back  

Maybe even refer to this big battle as the Pain Glove!  

Archived