New Edition, New Codex, New Army - Voss Prime

ruralguardhipcat

I really like the Engineseer in the picture above. Your painting style is neat which helps with this paint scheme. If you ever want to start a space marine army you know you can paint Howling Griffons to go with Voss Prime. :)

Have to say that your painting is amazing. Personally I prefer the colours on Marines than Ad mech, but still a great job. Would love to know whats next and Keep up the good work.

Mithril, fantastic job on the marine buddy!

Thank you! Next up is finishing the Ranger squad and the two Robots. I'm really enjoying painting these. I've spent years painting Salamanders and Imperial Guard and while I enjoy those armies, a complete change of pace, models, and colours is most welcome!

How have you been finding painting the Rangers? Ive got 2 squads i need to do but the amount of detail is putting me off.

Agreed, I love the Skitarii sculpts but they definitely push the limits in terms of painting details.  With 3 squads done, I feel like I never want to do another :P  Doing the Voss Prime scheme seems like a bridge too far for me, but I have to admit the results are definitely worth it!

It helps that after years of 30k and 40k Salamander green power armour I'm getting to paint something else!

I'm doing the armour plates and body in Boltgun Metal, a Nuln Oil wash and then a light Necron Metal drybrush. Weapons and backpacks are brass colours, using Agrax Earthshade. The robes are deploying the time honoured two thin coats approach, then wash and highlight.

It's a simple but, I think, striking scheme.

How have you been finding painting the Rangers? Ive got 2 squads i need to do but the amount of detail is putting me off.

Agreed, I love the Skitarii sculpts but they definitely push the limits in terms of painting details.  With 3 squads done, I feel like I never want to do another :tongue.:  Doing the Voss Prime scheme seems like a bridge too far for me, but I have to admit the results are definitely worth it!

I agree with this. I know I could buy another stack of Skitarii but then I'd remember how tiring they are to paint. They look great when they are finished but there are so many fine details to paint. The breastplates and the metalwork on the weapons are really fiddly in particular.

yeah you gotta break down the Skitarii into smaller sections, i.e. i paint the legs first and inner robes then move to another section...etc etc it makes it less daunting, as mentioned the amount of detail is much more than say on a marine!,

And as RGH mentions, his scheme is very basic/rudimentary and easily done,the extra colour of the quartered robes is the thing that makes his army pop,very sneaky and well done :thumbsup:

Cheers, Mithril

It's just a shame because it means I'm unlikely to ever expand my AdMech collection given how much more joy I get from painting Marines (especially the new ones) and IG Infantry/tanks.

I spent a while choosing which scheme to do. Ryza appealed, but with mono coloured robes, I worried about having to paint individual details on the armour, guns, backpacks etc. While I don't mind doing that for characters and small elite unites, it didn't appeal for large infantry units.

But the Voss Prime robes, apart from the challenge of quartering, I thought would give a striking model and let me be simpler with the details. Letting washes and quick highlights do the work.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta say, the decision to go yellow on my Ad Mech has worked out similar - it's so popping against the brown and dark silver that, on balance, I can almost ignore the details with the Skitarii.

They're gorgeous models, and such a joy to behold, but death me are they an exhausting challenge on the painting front!

----

Also, these Voss ones remain gorgeous. I'm thrilled to see them continue! :)

I too am awed by your production turn around :sweat:

they look really good, i wonder if the kastelans would look good with the helm top done in a halved colour as well ?!?...:happy.:

anyways great work indeed !!

Cheers, Mithril 

I think what really makes these Kastelans "pop" is the fact you've done the armour in the Voss scheme but allowed the recesses/helm to remain a dark grey.  It creates a briliant contrast, especially with the rich blue of the eye lenses.  Awesome work!  :)

Archived