Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

=][= THE IRON GAUNTLET - The Final Challenge =][=

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,293 posts

gallery_60566_6038_112036.jpg

Brothers and sisters! Gauntleteers and brethren of B&C! I bring you the FINAL CHALLENGE. There are but a handful of members who are still in with a chance of gaining the coveted IRON GAUNTLET. These intrepid fellows have braved four challenges prior to this, over many months. I do not doubt that many who began the IRON GAUNTLET way back in March have burnt out or otherwise succumbed to the vagaries of procrastination, memory and plain old lack of time and inclination.

But still!

We have a clutch of brothers who have their eyes on the prize - the right to call themselves bearers of the IRON GAUNTLET. It is a privilege that only one person in the past has been honoured with, the fact that we will see several earn this accolade is nothing short of something worth celebrating!

The series of challenges, begun with this year's Liberalia Martiale, will be slated to end - thanks to slightly iffy scheduling on my part over the year - around Christmas. 

As usual, this last challenge will be open to everyone, not just the final few Gaunleteers that have survived 2017. As such, if any member would like to participate in this fifth challenge, all they need to do is make a vow:

I, <your name>, of the <Chapter/Warband/Regiment name> take up your Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete THE FINAL CHALLENGE and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Emperor/the Dark Gods/Brother Argos himself curse me if I fail.

The Final Challenge 
* Bronze: Write a story about your organisation that is between 1000 and 1999 words in length;

* Silver: Write a story that is between 2000 and 2999 words in length;

* Gold: Write a story that is 3000+ words in length.

-> Duration: Sunday 17th September 2017 - Sunday 17th December 2017 (3 months) 24th September 2017 - 24th December 2017 (3 months)

Good luck and have fun. And remember, with three months available, I will be a teeny bit disappointed if our Final Few don't attempt a gold rank... msn-wink.gif

• Kelborn likes this
gallery_60566_6038_10057.jpg
gallery_60566_6038_15153.png

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Kelborn

Kelborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,758 posts
  • Chapter Name: BotL: XXth Legion - Predators

Finally something I can participate again. ^^

Seems like I'll cover the downfall of my Imperial Sons during the opening of the Great Rift.

I, Kelborn, of the Imperial Sons take up your Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete THE FINAL CHALLENGE and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Emperor and Brother Argos themselves curse me if I fail.

• Olis and NovemberIX like this
tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg  tn_gallery_87379_12273_193556.jpg  tn_gallery_87379_12273_86064.png

Brotherhood of the Lost: XXth Legiones Astartes, the Predators http://www.bolterand...-the-predators/
Brotherhood of the Lost - The Icarion Insurrection: http://www.bolterand...od-of-the-lost/

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 236 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Marines, Necrons

I, Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch of the Dawn Blades, do swear in full view of the fratri and sorori of the Liber, to complete the Final Challenge of the Iron Gauntlet. I have completed the previous four and I. Will. Not. Flinch. I vow to provide assistance to my fellow Gauntleteers and seek to achieve the maximum possible goal. May the Solis-Imperatior, the Primarchs Ferrus and Vulkan, and Brother Argos himself curse me if I fail.

How do a junior apothecary, a mad tau scientist, and space-fish heads fit together? Wait to find out! I have worded this to be as ambiguous as possible, so you just have to read it and preserve the mystery!

Dosjeska: But then again we are Iron Hands, we will use a hammer as a scalpel.

There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. -anon [][] Laus Alit Artes-Praise Nourishes the Arts

"When two railroad trains meet at a crossing, each shall stop and neither shall proceed until the other has passed." Old Texas Law

Dawn Blades Iron Guantletgallery_4664_12529_16642.jpg

Dawn Blades: W/L/D: 0/2/0

Naculan Dynasty: W/L/D: 0/0/0

NovemberIX

NovemberIX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 861 posts
  • Chapter Name: November Warriors
I, NovemberIX, of the November IX  have taken up your every one of your Challenges; as have I vowed before to my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete Challenges the First, Second, Third, and Fourth so shall I complete The Final Challenge and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Emperor, Brother Argos, and the Fires of Time themselves curse me if I fail.

An Excerpt:

... Espion wasn't prepared for what he saw. The land around him looked like nothing he'd ever known, thousands of shattered pillars of stone impossibly standing. The air had a strange quality to it, it was thick, emollient,  almost viscous. He couldn't see much further than 100 or so meters, but overhead a giant parent planet could clearly be seen nestled among a violet hued sky full of stars.  Racking a bolt into the chamber he prepared to move from the dolmen, to see what could be found...

• Olis likes this

Barabbas Sogalon

Barabbas Sogalon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,399 posts
  • Chapter Name: XIV Legion

I've waited for an opportunity like this.

I, Barabbas Sogalon, of the dreaded 4th Northern Varyags take up your Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete THE FINAL CHALLENGE and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May Hel herself curse me if I fail.

Legionare

Legionare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 136 posts
  • Chapter Name: Viper Legion

I, Legionare, of the Viper Legion take up your Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete THE FINAL CHALLENGE and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Brother Argos himself curse me if I fail.

bloodhound23

bloodhound23

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 172 posts

I, bloodhound23, of the Violent Gods, take up your Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete THE FINAL CHALLENGE and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Emperor/the Dark Gods/Brother Argos himself curse me if I fail.

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 236 posts
So, having at this point doubled the word count for gold and not reached any actual combat, I am beginning to wonder if I’ve fallen victim to some writer’s problem I can’t yet identify. Given there’s setup, a year of in-between sabotage, and when we get to the meat of the story, I’m wondering how much time I should spend on the intervening year, and how soon I should get right to the great big combat encounter.

Help, please? I don’t know what I’m supposed to do, editing and story flow wise.

There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. -anon [][] Laus Alit Artes-Praise Nourishes the Arts

"When two railroad trains meet at a crossing, each shall stop and neither shall proceed until the other has passed." Old Texas Law

NovemberIX

NovemberIX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 861 posts
The lesson I learned with writing is to always be ready to cut back, streamline and kill all your darlings. I will fully admit I’ve gotten to the word count a few times only to cut out massive chunks that were either “he thought, he said, he did” or just pure exposition. The other thing I remember from my creative writing class days is to make sure the story fits the format. While that may have to do with the logistics of printing, I’ve found it helps me get back to point one of streamline till every word has specific and important meaning. Also, just because they’re Space Marines, you shouldn’t feel the need to write battle scenes if it doesn’t fit the overall arc of your story. I hope this helps!

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 236 posts

After reading your post it's become evident that I've written a 6000 word prologue, forgot to introduce a character, and the kill-team hasn't even deployed (they're on their way there, I promise). I am now considering leaving it as it is for now and moving on to the story proper, and posting the prologue after the story proper is uploaded. Making it 'fit the format,' or at least doing some formatting, may be beneficial. Thank you, NovemberIX.

Also, as to killing all your darlings, how literally are we taking that in the context of Astartes? I'm...asking for a friend. *cackles deviously*

NovemberIX

NovemberIX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 861 posts

Hahaha, mostly figuratively, I mean it in the sense of don't become to attached to any one idea, and delete them when necessary. But if you're feeling rather George R.R. Martin like or channeling Yoshiyuki Tomino.... well have fun ;)

Swarmlord Unleashed

Swarmlord Unleashed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,692 posts
  • Chapter Name: Hive Fleet Chimaera, Renegades

I, Cryptix, of the Dusk Raiders take up your Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete THE FINAL CHALLENGE and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Emperor/the Dark Gods/Brother Argos himself curse me if I fail.

20 days. I can do this, easy peasy right teehee.gif

• Olis likes this

Well would you look at the time, it's zombie o'clock!
sml_gallery_55866_13614_5370.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpggallery_60566_6038_377.gif

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,293 posts

How's everyone, as of now? Anyone in need of aid? Apologies go to Lenoch for not responding - I was taking a break at the time of the question. ^_^

And, indeed, there are but three weeks to go. Well, less, in fact. If anyone can't contact me via PM, it's because I currently have a full inbox.

gallery_60566_6038_10057.jpg
gallery_60566_6038_15153.png

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

bloodhound23

bloodhound23

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 172 posts

I have a draft in progress, but I'm worried any little detour might lead my to have to "kill my darlings", as NovemberIX has mentioned.

Is there a particular part of the B & C you would prefer us to post drafts for help? 

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 236 posts
@Olis: I concur. Should we post drafts in this forum, this thread, or somewhere else entirely?

I have close to triple now (with the 6000 words of prologue, and am looking to get some expert (read: Liber) critique on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users