Spaz's Raptors

Spaz

I figure it's time to make a thread in an attempt to keep me honest and track the progress of my Raptor Chapter. In my typical manner I've dove straight in, sink or swim.

Currently in the que to be built:

1 Stormraven

1 Fireraptor

To Paint:

1 Commander

3 Scout Bikes

10 Vanguard Veterans

1 Xiphon Interceptor

1 Chaplin Dreadnought

Completed:

2 Commander/Cpt./Lt.

1 Jump Chaplin

1 Chaplin

5 Scouts with Shotguns

10 Scouts with bolters

10 Scout Snipers

15 Tactical marines

5 SternGuard

1 LandSpeeder Tempestus

1 Venerable Dreadnought

2 Contemptor Dreadnoughts

1 Leviathan Dreadnought

1 Spartan

The Scouts with bolters and shotguns are almost done, finished swapping out the heads last night. I think I'm going to try and sculpt cloaks on the Scouts equipped with bolters though, make them look more sneaky.

Apologies guys. Technology and I don't always get along. I've posted my first attempts at making cloaks in a gallery, not sure how to post them here yet. I think the cloaks need more work, something looks off to me, maybe too plain. Not sure.

gallery_100599_13796_53163.png

gallery_100599_13796_125861.png

@Sharrowkyn- Thanks! I was able to add a link. Lol. I may have to try and sort this out on my computer, I mainly use mobile now and it appears not all the options are available to me.

in your gallery, right click the image you want to link to, then right click "Direct link to this image file" and click "Copy Link". Then in your post click the Image button (looks like a postcard with a landscape) and paste your link in there. And you're right, trying to do this on mobile is much harder.

On the capes themselves, perhaps you've used too much thickness in the putty? They look like heroic capes rather than cloaks, so they're billowing up from the shoulders before falling, rather than dropping straight from where they're attached. It all depends what look you're going for.

It is possible to do it on mobile if you switch to "Full Version" which will give you the desktop skin.

It is more tedious though, its ok for a few photos and any more and you'd want a computer.

Hopefully the forum upgrade will make it easier to upload photos from phones!

• 2 weeks later...

@NiceGuyAdi- That's it. They look too heroic, need to fix them. Maybe I'll file them down some and add more folds.

@Bjorn Firewalker- Thank you.

Life has been pretty hectic and progress on my Raptors have been slow to say the least. Updated my first post. Here is the base color on my Commander. I think it's a little too bright, so I may end up redoing it. Thoughts?

gallery_100599_13796_27318.png

Yay! Finally got the pics to upload right.

I'm interested to see the cloaks on the bolter scouts. I think that's going to be the next unit I build and I really want to put cloaks on them. I found a new camo pattern that I want to try out and some greenstuff capes would be the perfect way to do it.

New base color. The last was too vibrant for me. I was able to base the Captain, Tactical squad, and Dreadnaught, although I still need to deepen the shadows some. You can also see the beginning of the Chaplin in the back ground, standard black. Hope the image is bigger for those old timers out there. Thanks for looking.

gallery_100599_13796_67993.png

• 1 month later...

@Itvyper- I was just kidding about the "old eyes", I'm in the old timer group myself. Lol

That being said... it's update time. First post edited to reflect changes.

Commander number one is pretty much done, save the basing (still looking for the right stuff, I recently raided a hobby store, we'll see how it turns out). There were some purple power baths and changing out of power sword to chain sword, but I think overall he turned out okay.

Front:

med_gallery_100599_13796_115216.jpeg

Back:

med_gallery_100599_13796_28020.jpeg

Jump Chaplin is pretty much done as well, again except the basing.

med_gallery_100599_13796_90918.jpeg

And both Contemptors (regular and relic) were magnetized for weapon options. Had some trouble putting these guys together and in the process I inadvertently put the shin guards on wrong with the regular contemptor. Otherwise, pinned and greenstuffed to reinforced the joints.

med_gallery_100599_13796_125920.jpeg

med_gallery_100599_13796_158864.jpeg

Otherwise, Commander number 2, the Sternguard, Vanguard Vets, and Scouts with bolters (except the cloaks, still experimenting with that) are built. I also picked up a Stormraven, 5 more Tac Marines (ebay) and 5 more Vangurad Vets.

Anyway, that's it for now. Thanks for looking.

Looking good, you made the right call going for the darker green, there. Did you do some reposing on the plastic Contemptor legs? Looks like you’ve got around the bolt-upright-knees-locked pose that bothers me so much and has put me off getting one.

Thank you all for the kind words. It's really appreciated. Any tips or suggestions?

@NiceGuyAdi- No, those are Foreworld Contemptors. The Plastic Contemptor pose put me off as well, too static for my taste.

I've finished the Commander and Chaplin, I was able to upload pics into my gallery but as I'm out of town again and with out a laptop, I am unable to post pics on this thread until I get back.

What are people's thoughts on battle damage? I'm tempted to give it a try but I don't want to ruin a paint job and I'm not sure how damaged a space marines armor would get with "normal wear".

I attempted battle damage on my first baneblade commission.

Personally I was really unimpressed with the result I felt I'd just destroyed a paint job I was very happy and proud of.

Part of that reason might have been because the sponge and area I applied it to was too small for model.

Anyhow my point is if youre undecided and you like your paint job I would err on the side of no.

To me there are 3 levels of weathering/damage.

1) Dust/streaks/dirt (powders and oils)

2) Chipping/rust/wear (paint, highlights, and other mediums)

3) Pockmarks/Bullet/Claw/Knife damage (cutting/chipping/slicing the model with knife or abrasive)

For me personally, I have always viewed the varying levels of damage more appropriate depending on the Legion/Chapter.

World Eaters, Death Guard, Flesh Tearers, or Space Woves? All 3 levels.

For me, the level 3 might seem a bit much for Raptors, Level 1 for sure fits, and level 2 might seem okay depending on execution.

Archived