Spaz's Raptors

Spaz

Here is the newest update on the Spartan. I may have gone overboard with the black but I'm really not sure what to think. Opinions are more than welcome.

med_gallery_100599_13796_53322.jpg

Here is the newest update on the Spartan. I may have gone overboard with the black but I'm really not sure what to think. Opinions are more than welcome.

med_gallery_100599_13796_53322.jpg

I think it looks good! The black breaks the green in a Nice way. Keep it!

Alternatively, maybe keep the black to the sides? We know black was used on Raptors vehicles, yet Maybe they were conservative with it.

Keep in mind the tracks will need color as well. I mean, it's undeniable the tanks is for the Raptors, and it's size prevents it from being "stealthy", yet I would counsel against toooo much black. This is just an opinion were I to own the model and Chapter.

Use your instincts ^_^

I think the black looks dope.

If anything, iirc the some of the Raptors reference art from Forgeworld books of the past would have colored accent stripes breaking up the large flat surfaces. I could see an angled yellow (or weathered white) stripe bisecting the black and going into the green (like running parallel with the front track angle)

Looking good!

And this is why I wish I was a real modeler. Airbrushing is a real wonder. Just can’t afford to pay for a good one and it’s not something I could go cheap on and mess a project up. Your black looks good. I believe the suggestion after you wash and or shade it’ll be great is spot on.

I think the black seems overboard due to having no substantial black on any other units in the army. I may have to revisit that... looking at you land speeder tempest.

@Johanhgg- Thank you!

@Race Bannon- That's a good idea, I'll play around with it some. Oh for sure, I haven't even touched the tracks yet. I usually work on one section until the the last one or two highlights and move on to the next section. The green for instance is almost done, now I'm working on the black, next will be metallics, maybe.

@thewarriorhunter- Definitely more highlighting, and shading planned. This is the first model I'm planning on weathering, so hopefully it goes well.

@Itvyper- Thanks! I've only seen the pics on the raptors wiki page, the stripe sounds fun... more ideas. Do you know if the black was used on dreadnoughts? Thinking I should add more black to the army somehow.

@Inquisitor Dracos- Airbrushing is some straight up voodoo magic to me. I'm learning and messing a lot up. Got the priming down. Lol. The rest is still very much in the "sometimes it works, other times I wish I just used a real brush". The green was airbrushed and the black was with a traditional brush, that's why it's so shiny, I think. Lol

Thanks for all the suggestions and positivity! And as always ideas/opinions are more than welcome. Thanks again.

Check out “the Long War” website. They have some awesome Podcast on airbrushing on YouTube. Good phrase there “Magic” because yeah I’m sure if I ever tried I’d break a 1000 dollar air rush kit after the third attempt ;)

@Itvyper- Thanks! I've only seen the pics on the raptors wiki page, the stripe sounds fun... more ideas. Do you know if the black was used on dreadnoughts? Thinking I should add more black to the army somehow.

Thanks for all the suggestions and positivity! And as always ideas/opinions are more than welcome. Thanks again.

I can't think of an exact reference, but I would say that looking back it seemed in cases where black was used, it was related to an elite or heavy status type of unit (similiar to White and Raven Guard), so I could certainly see justification for it being used on a dread - something like the armor plates on the arms being black. Also, aesthetically speaking, I think demure schemes like the Black of Raven Guard and Olive of Raptors both benefit from asymmetry on large models (Dreads, Tanks, Aircraft), and so I could see just using the black on one shoulder as well.

Looking forward to seeing the progress shots! - Every time I see a beautiful growing Raptors army (First MajorNesse, now you), it really makes me want to collect a small Raptors force to supplement my Raven Guard :biggrin.:

Ohhhh ... Black pattern for an elite unit is classic and would be a nice way to make a <Deathewatch> Primaris Sternguard for my Warhawks ... or someone’s Raptors. Nice piece of info thanks.

@Inquisitor Dracos- I'll check them out on YouTube tonight. 1000 dollars!? I think I spent little over 200 on my whole set up. I'm pretty rough and so far I've only had to replace a needle. I think you'd be good.

@Itvyper- Thanks! I'm thinking of painting black over the dark green on the tempest or using dark green for flyers and black for ground units. I'm still undecided... Black will be added to the dreadnoughts, I like what you said, shoulder or arms, left polderon or ccw "forearm" area? Maybe. If I get another sternguard unit I'll make the tunic things black too. That could work nicely. Hhhmmm

I ended up highlighting the black with greys to fade it out some, then used a really light glaze in an attempt to tie them all in (I might have to revisit this), and a finial edge highlight. Here is the result:

gallery_100599_13796_53953.jpg

It's subtle but I think it works, and I'm finding out subtle is kind of my style. Every time I try to use a strong contrast or bright colors I end up hating it. Anyway, once I get the metallics and lenses done, it'll be time for a pin wash. Then weathering, which will be a first. So far this project is going surprisingly fast.

I think that looks fantastic. Your mind tells you it's black, but when you study it you it doesn't seem as harsh. I think once you wash and weather it's going to look fantastic.

Out of curiosity what airbrush setup are you using? I bought a Badger Patriot in their birthday sale early this year but still need to pick up a compressor.

While you didn't ask me, since we have the same brush (I'm assuming).

I have a badger patriot 105 brush

I have a badger aspire pro TC910 compressor

A fun fact about the compressor: I looked online for Michaels/AC Moore/Hobby Lobby in my area, to find one who had the compressor I wanted (it ended up being at Michaels).

All 3 of those stores have 40% off one item coupons available all the time.

I waited for a holiday sale around Thanksgiving that was something like 20% Airbrushing supplies (and it stacked with other coupons)

Combined the two to get nearly 50% off the MSRP.

I bought my brush off Amazon.

Not to derail too much. I had similar experiences buying my compressor. Michael's with a 40-50% voucher seemed to be cheaper than Amazon. Although I ended up getting mine through Amazon when randomly there was a 25% off sale.

These guys always seem to have reasonable prices too

https://usaairbrushsupply.com/

Tank looks awesome btw! ;) :tu:

Last bit on the airbrush unless Spaz chimes in: I was going to do the Michaels route with a 50/60% off coupon but they stopped stocking them in my area. I need to check hobby lobby, otherwise I'll have to scrounge elsewhere.

@The warrior hunter- My set up is pretty much what Itvyper has, although I think my compressor is just a generic one with a tank. I too got it at Michaels. With all the coupons it ends up being very affordable. I got my airbrush (a badger 105) from usaairbrushsupply.

Thank you all for the encouraging words! And if I can maintain this pace, I may be able to add another vow... Maybe.

On another note, I have to go to Dallas for work at the end of the month, so guess what that means? I’ll be conducting a small raid on the citadel.

Thank you all for the encouraging words! And if I can maintain this pace, I may be able to add another vow... Maybe.

On another note, I have to go to Dallas for work at the end of the month, so guess what that means? I’ll be conducting a small raid on the citadel.

I read that as youre going to the Citadel in Dallas to buy your next vow.

That's an awesome idea! ;) :tu:

@duz_ - I'm not sure what I'll get. Something for sure, maybe not Space Marine though.

@thewarriorhunter- That's awesome! I've been to Dallas a few times, always a good time.

Archived