Spaz's Raptors

Spaz

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the Spartan: Just need to touch up the decals, I didn't smooth them out enough during preparation and some air got trapped. Unfortunately, they are too small to just pop so I'll have to paint over them and some of the seams are a little to obvious. I also applied a dark green pin wash. Just about time to add some weathering, I ordered some AK interactive Mud effects to try out too.

med_gallery_100599_13796_9861.jpg

INORITE?!  Your work on this beast is really coming along :tu:

I mean, I've always wanted one and FW makes a great looking kit.  But it's just out of reach for me ATM.

Thanks guys!

@Duz- For me, it was one of the only ones that called to me.

@Race Bannon- It's a fun model and I've really enjoyed it which helps with the price.

@thewarriorhunter- I am too, and I have you guys to thank for it! What's odd though is after I varnished it at times it looks more grey, so I might have to use another glaze, don't know yet. Still have sometime before all the wearying stuff arrives.

@Bjorn Forewalker- Thank you! It is my color. Lol

@NiceGuyAdi- Thank you! I was honestly considering skipping the weathering, I’m a little worried I’ll mess it up but I’d really like to give it a try.

I keep contemplating the weathering, and at first I was thinking I’d go nuts, chipping, scratches, mud, foliage in the tracks and maybe even a random body crushed somewhere... However, I’m not sure that would tie in with my army. My Raptors are pretty damn clean.

So I think the plan now, is to add some superficial scratches/chips and some mud. I still might crush an old school snotling somewhere (add a little character). Then go back and add some mud to the rest of the army, so it all ties in.

I’ve only tried a little weathering, but the conventional wisdom seems to be less is more. You can always add more in later. Don’t want to go from sensible marines to disciples of Nurgle!

My AK Interactive earth and mud effects ( I'm thinking it's just oil paints. LOL) came in yesterday. Ive been playing with them and some pigments. Here are the results so far:

med_gallery_100599_13796_105855.jpg

I added some light scratches to the paint to "show" wear but not damage. Maybe not enough? I figure Raptors take pretty good care of their vehicles and paint them regularly but maybe I should add more. Thoughts?

The dirt and mud effects were added to the recesses and sparingly in other areas to add interest. Pigments in lower areas that would be dirty most of the time.

Any CC would be appreciated. Thanks for looking and Happy 4th.

I think it looks great. My only suggestion would be to add some more 'dirt' along the rear of the chassis where the treads start to come up. I would think as a tank rolls through dirt/mud it would fling some grime up there. Maybe you've already done that but I can't see it in the pick. I don't think you need to do it, like I said it looks great, just an observation I had.

Thanks for the advice! I couldn't believe I missed that. I added more dirt to the areas surrounding the tracks and on the doors. Although some are not very visible. I also added some powder burns.

So here she is:

med_gallery_100599_14015_23867.jpg

med_gallery_100599_14015_155504.jpg

med_gallery_100599_14015_80067.jpg

med_gallery_100599_14015_61391.jpg

med_gallery_100599_14015_8803.jpg

I have already submitted this as finished for the ETL. However, if anyone has any suggestions/Comments on what/how I can improve , it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

thanks for building and painting for me  :whistling: now send it to me. :wink: ......i wish :wacko.:

It's perfect.

I mean you did miss that spot there soo ...

No, that spot.

There.

No, THERE! :facepalm:

You know what, nevermind. It's perfect.

:P

Hold up ... are that burns under the Heavy Bolter?!

Holy crap I missed that before.....BRAVO

Archived